PDA

View Full Version : Reliant shaper

Bruce Pauley
09-16-2020, 5:00 PM
I was given a Reliant heavy duty spindle shaper model DD34 and can't find any dealers or suppliers of parts. Does anyone know anything about this tool? I could use some help!

John Lanciani
09-16-2020, 6:09 PM
Reliant was the house brand for Woodworkers Warehouse. They went out of business over 20 years ago...

David Stone (CT)
09-16-2020, 7:15 PM
As noted, the brand and seller is long gone. Maybe comb through Grizzly's current and legacy machines to see if you can find a clone or reasonable approximation.

Zachary Hoyt
09-16-2020, 8:10 PM
I bought a Reliant shaper for $300 to use to make tongue and groove 1x6 pine to replace a rotten floor in an old house, it did fine for that job and I have hung onto it figuring it might come in handy again or if not I can always sell it later. Do you need parts to get it up and running or is this just for future reference?

Matt Day
09-16-2020, 10:11 PM
That sure looks a lot like one of the current Grizzly offerings.

Bill Dufour
09-16-2020, 11:16 PM
My reliant jointer was made in Taiwan not communist China. Purchased new about 30 years ago from Post Tools in California
Bill D

Jared Sankovich
09-17-2020, 7:34 AM
Looks almost identical to the jet 1.5hp shaper. The drive system and spindle match the jet, unlike the grizzly/shopfox

Bruce Pauley
09-17-2020, 8:03 AM
The bolt or stud that goes up through the quill into the spindle is missing. Also, I would like to get a hold of a front table extension.

Jim Becker
09-17-2020, 10:05 AM
Fortunately, and as noted, this was a pretty common machine regardless of the nameplate, so hopefully with a little research and searching you can find equivalent parts.

Bill Dufour
09-17-2020, 11:34 AM
The drawbar bolt can be made from all thread with a nut welded or soldered on the end. The only hard part will be the taper cone that bears into the spindle. Maybe take a coupling nut and file the cone shape in a drillpress. I would thin kyo uwil lend up with a cone that floats. I assume the original is all one piece forged with a big lump near each end. One for the cone one for the bolt head end.
maybe a car lug nut could be used to make a taper cone by bushing the bore smaller
Bill D

John Lanciani
09-17-2020, 2:31 PM
The bolt or stud that goes up through the quill into the spindle is missing. Also, I would like to get a hold of a front table extension.

I actually have a table extension for that machine. E-mail me using my first initial and last name at G mail to disuss.