PDA

View Full Version : Fence for a type 71

Goodwin Heil
09-16-2020, 11:37 AM
I acquired a Stanley type 71 that was without the cutters and a fence. The cutters I have ordered from LV, But the fence is the problem. I like the Veritas fence but do not think it would adapt to the Stanley. Next would be some form of homemade fence. I haven't really explored that yet.
Has anybody made a fence for a type 71 or adapted the Veritas?

Jim Koepke
09-16-2020, 12:31 PM
I acquired a Stanley type 71 that was without the cutters and a fence.

This is where pictures can help.

Are you inquiring about a Stanley #71 Router plane?

If so, does yours have slots on the bottom of the base? It would look like this:

The fence looks like this:

If your #71 doesn't have the slots, the fence will not be much use.

In that case rigging up your own fence will likely be your best option.

jtk

Jason Buresh
09-16-2020, 1:00 PM
My 71 1/2 doesn't have the option for a fence, bit if you attach a wooden sole to the bottom using the screw holes in the plane body casting you can attach a fence to the wooden sole with a piece of scrap and a few short wood screws

Goodwin Heil
09-17-2020, 2:26 PM
This is where pictures can help.

Are you inquiring about a Stanley #71 Router plane?

If so, does yours have slots on the bottom of the base? It would look like this:

The fence looks like this:

If your #71 doesn't have the slots, the fence will not be much use.

In that case rigging up your own fence will likely be your best option.

jtk

Yes, I am and Yes, it does. Derek Just sent a tutorial on making a fence, so I probably will pursue that route, no pun intended. What he did was very impressive.

Richard Hutchings
09-17-2020, 4:59 PM
I've thought about this because I also own one without a fence and I can't imagine a little fence being much good. At least not the kind I see that were designed for it. I picture it constantly racking as you're moving along a dado which is what I assume it's for. I think a dado plane is a much better choice but I don't have any experience with that either.