PDA

View Full Version : Best threads of 2005.

Don Baer
12-31-2005, 10:31 PM
In keeping with the media and there reporting of the best news stories of 2005 I think the creekers should vote on the best threads of 2005. I nominate the Mark Singer thread on "making doors for the Balboa house"
What are your noninations fellos creekers ?

:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
12-31-2005, 10:43 PM
John Bailey's Guy and Gals thread. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24984)

John Bailey
12-31-2005, 11:52 PM
There were a lot of good threads, but I think it's any easy pick. The Becker's Russian adoption story was in a league all by itself.

John

David Fried
01-01-2006, 1:08 AM
The Becker's Russian adoption story was in a league all by itself.
I agree with John but I'm still partial to Marcus' Awesome Woodworking magazine thread.:D

Aaron Koehl
01-01-2006, 1:34 AM
SawmillCreek Superlatives, 2005

Here are some superlatives for 2005..

Top Poster:
Jim Becker, 11495 posts (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=869). (5191 of them in 2005)
(Followed by #2, Jeff Sudmeier with 2863 posts this year,
and #3, John Hart, with 2569 this year)

Thread with most Posts:
Guys and Gals, It's time to get to work, time to donate!! (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24984)

Most Viewed Thread:
Frank's Workshop Construction Project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7769)

Most Users Online: 510, on June 7.

Most Active Registration Day:
24 new members, Dec. 30, 2005

Let's see what else I can compute..

Mark Singer
01-01-2006, 4:26 AM
It seems so very many experienced and talented members joined SMC this year... it adds a great deal of depth and knowledge to this great Forum. If you think about the benefits it is truly amazing. I welcome all the new members and wish all a wonderful 2006...with health , safety, and wonderful projects.

JayStPeter
01-01-2006, 8:49 AM
I nominate any of those threads that provided insightful comparisons of guided circular saw systems ... hmmm, for some reason I couldn't find any :cool: :D :D :D :D

Jay
(who asks that nobody respond to this post thinking I'm the least bit serious ... four :D should indicate attempted humor, but sometimes doesn't work)

Tom Hamilton
01-01-2006, 8:53 AM
The current nominees are also at the top of my list, and I would add anything posted by Professor Smalser, usually with clear pics and readable prose.

Always a pleasant learning experience. ;)

All the best in 06, Tom

Doug Jones
01-01-2006, 8:58 AM
The Becker's Russian adoption story was in a league all by itself.John

I have to go with this one also.

Frank Pellow
01-01-2006, 9:01 AM
My favourites are Bob Smalser's boat restoration threads.

Bob Winkler
01-01-2006, 9:08 AM
While I loved so many of the threads, I have to say my favorite was the tantalizing workshop "strip-tease" provided my Lou Sansone. Lots of information and pictures, expertly presented.

Thanks to all for a great SMC year:D .
Bob

Bryan Somers
01-01-2006, 12:16 PM
The Becker's Russian adoption story was in a league all by itself.

Without a doubt agreed. If I may quote Dr. Phil

" No man ever stood so tall than when he stooped down to help a child"

Tony Falotico
01-01-2006, 12:42 PM
I seriously believe we need some categories here:

MOST IMPORTANT John Bailey's 'Save the Creek' Thread
MOST HEARTWARMING The Becker's Adoption Story
MOST TANTALIZING The "strip-tease" by Lou Sansone :D
MOST DEBATED Insightful comparisons of guided circular saw systems
MOST LIKELY TO STAY AFLOAT Bob Smalser's boat restoration threads

Keep it going my friends .........

Gregg Mason
01-01-2006, 2:41 PM
All of the project pics threads.

We have so many very talented folks here.

John Hart
01-01-2006, 3:18 PM
I thought that Stu Ablett's "Logging In Japan..." was useful and educational.

nic obie
01-01-2006, 3:31 PM
I seriously believe we need some categories here:
MOST IMPORTANT John Bailey's 'Save the Creek' Thread
MOST HEARTWARMING The Becker's Adoption Story
MOST TANTALIZING The "strip-tease" by Lou Sansone :D
MOST DEBATED Insightful comparisons of guided circular saw systems
MOST LIKELY TO STAY AFLOAT Bob Smalser's boat restoration threads

MOST ENTERTAINING . . . Stu's Japan lumber thread

Michael Stafford
01-01-2006, 3:46 PM
All of the nominated threads are good examples of why we frequent this web site. Thanks to all those that make the Creek a place to sit a while and contemplate the water.

I would like to nominate a thread for "Most Fun I Have Had With My Clothes On".:p :D Without a doubt for the turners the Itty Bitty Contest was a tremendous amount of fun. I think some of the flatlanders enjoyed vicariously the zaniness that was going on. I think we should make it an annual event. Thanks to John for the idea, Dennis, Mark and Jim for making it such a fun event.

Randy Moore
01-01-2006, 4:08 PM
I would like to enter a post that hasn't been mentioned, I don't believe. Mark Singer's house building thread. I watch almost more than I watch the TV. I watched that thread with a lot of interest, lots of setbacks and on site discussions.
All of the threads mentioned have been very good but Mark's should also be in the mix. Not to take anything away from the others 'cause they was important too.

Bob Yarbrough
01-01-2006, 4:10 PM
The Becker babies rules #1.

Andy Hoyt
01-01-2006, 4:49 PM
Almost forgot! The Itty Bitty Contest.

Bravo Zulus are due to Bruce Shiverdecker for his underhanded and sneaky approach at inspiring the notion and to John Hart for orchestrating the event.

This was an event that fired the creek up in a hurry with a common goal and tons of good cheer.

EDIT: Oops - posted before I saw there was a second page. Big Mike beat me to the punch, so consider this a seconding nomination

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2006, 5:20 PM
Andy....you might have to explain "Bravo Zulus" to some here that aren't ex-Navy......

Andy Hoyt
01-01-2006, 5:33 PM
Andy....you might have to explain "Bravo Zulus" to some here that aren't ex-Navy......
Jeez, Ken! That would be like giving away the secret handshake (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/questions/bzulu.html)!

Carl Eyman
01-01-2006, 8:37 PM
I/m not sure of the category maybe: MOST SUSPENSEFUL, or MOST DRAMATIC, or MOST PRAYERFUL:

The story of Ken Salisbury's battle.