PDA

View Full Version : Churchill tenon cutter?

Jason Buresh
09-14-2020, 10:19 PM

I bought this interesting little tenon cutter a while ago. Haven't used it yet, and unfortunately someone else beat me to the cone cutter. I was looking at it tonight and it's stamped W Churchill. The only W Churchill I know is Winston Churchill, and I'm no history expert but I don't think he was famous for his tenon cutters. Anybody know anything about these or when this might have been made. I consulted google but not much came up.

Jim Koepke
09-15-2020, 1:37 AM
Most likely it is Willis Churchill associated with your tenon cutter.

Try searching > churchill hollow auger < and you will likely find more than searching on tenon cutters.

Yours looks like a single size (5/8") cutter. There are also adjustable models:

This is made by E.C. Stearns Co. What is really interesting is last year at a hardware store clean out sale a spoke pointer made by E.C.'s father's company G.N. Stearns was found:

This is all one site had on a Early Willis Churchill Hollow Auger for sale:

EARLY WILLIS CHURCHILL HOLLOW AUGER BIT FOR BRACE, NR! NO RESERVE.........on a very rare hollow auger, the second of its kind I have seen. The two cutters like in slots across the head of the hollow auger and are secured from above by two screws each. The specimen I have in my collection is clearly imprinted, "W. CHURCHILL" on one flat of the tang and this specimen lacks the imprint but I am confident that it was made by Willis Churchill sometime between 1830 and 1854. Churchill worked in Hamden, Conn. and started out making brass surgical instruments. He took on James Ives as a worker which is probably an ancestor of William Ives. The current town of Augerville, Conn. was named such because that is w Willis Churchill set up a shop and made augers. It is probably at that factory w the specimen offered in was manufactured. This one measures 5 1/4th inches long and the cutting head is 1 3/4ths inches wide. It appears to have been used but little. It is in good condition as you can see in the photos and the strange cutters are still rather sharp. It cuts a 5/8ths-inch tenon.

Apparently this is a sale that has already taken place.

Sadly, this seems to be the only reference to Willis Churchill to be found.

jtk