PDA

View Full Version : Air Hose

Byron Trantham
07-12-2003, 7:08 AM
I have a question about air hose size. My main line is run with 3/8" and I have one of those coiled 1/4" hoses that I attach everything including a 100' extension I use to blow out my in-ground sprinkler system in the Fall. I want to purchase one of those coilell hoses and thus my question, what size should I be using to achieve the best performance from my system 3/8" or 1/4"? I also use an Apollo conversion spray gun that just loves air. It has been connected to the 1/4 coiled hose and again, I was wondering if it would work better with a 3/8" hose.

Glenn Clabo
07-12-2003, 9:10 AM
I have a question about air hose size. My main line is run with 3/8" and I have one of those coiled 1/4" hoses that I attach everything including a 100' extension I use to blow out my in-ground sprinkler system in the Fall. I want to purchase one of those coilell hoses and thus my question, what size should I be using to achieve the best performance from my system 3/8" or 1/4"? I also use an Apollo conversion spray gun that just loves air. It has been connected to the 1/4 coiled hose and again, I was wondering if it would work better with a 3/8" hose.

I'm no expert when it comes to air (well...some would say the hot kind is my bag) but as I was researching some time ago I seem to remember that most HVLP spray gun vendors suggest that if you require a hose 25 ft or longer, you should insure that is is 3/8" diameter.

FWIW...

Byron Trantham
07-12-2003, 9:29 AM
Glenn, it makes sense to me. I just never considered it. I think I am going to abandon the 1/4 stuff and use 3/8 throughout. Thanks for your input.

Steve Jenkins
07-12-2003, 9:44 AM
I'm not sure how big your system is but if you have a stationary main line with smaller ones connected to it I would use 3/4 pipe(either copper or black pipe) for the main and 3/8 for the hoses.For the hvlp i wouldn't try using it on a 1/4" line but would use 3/8. Steve

John Miliunas
07-12-2003, 9:58 AM
I'm no expert, either, but I concur with the other guys. It was explained by a much more knowledgeable person than myself earlier on in my life that, you want to provide a big a diameter feed for as far as you can, before stepping it down (if need be). To me it sounds a bit like the same principal of DC systems, though this one is pushing, not pulling. Like the other gents said, 3/8" on the HVLP, for sure. Just remember what HVLP stands for. I don't believe the 1/4" would give you the volume for efficient use of the HVLP design. Just my $00.02... :cool:

Byron Trantham
07-12-2003, 11:27 AM
3/8" it is. I just ordered my 3/8" flexeel. I sure hope it works better than a standard hose that cost 1/2 as much. I know Jim seems to very happy with his. I'll you you know what I think of it when it gets sometime next week.

Jim Becker
07-12-2003, 12:40 PM
I sure hope it works better than a standard hose that cost 1/2 as much.

It "works" the same as the other hose. The difference is in its flexibility, especially when it gets cold. I always hated wrestling with "regular" hoses and when I saw the Flexeel at my cabinetmaker neighbor's shop and how it wiggled :D easily in the middle of winter, I was sold on it.

For your gun, 3/8" was probably the right choice. 1/4" hose is fine for the smaller nailers and seems to do well with my Wagner HVLP Conversion Gun (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?gleempaint+YUxZ9y+hvcongunnew.html+), but it sounds like your spraying tool gulps a lot more air based on what you told me in your email. The new framing gun that I'm using for the kitchen renovation is "working" on the 1/4" hose that I have, but I suspect it would perform much better with both a larger hose and something better than the hot-dog compressor I borrowed from a friend to avoid ripping the compressor out of my shop. (Not enough hose to stretch to the house and it's too hot to leave the doors open, anyway)

Byron Trantham
07-12-2003, 1:15 PM
to see how it works with my HVLP gun. I just went and looked at my [Craftsman] tank and here are the stats: "5 HP", 20 gal, 9.1 cfm @ 40 psi and 7 cfm @ 90 psi. I just tried to determine recommended values for my gun, but nothing is specifically recommended only saying that the pressure can be between 30 and 80 psi depending upon the viscosity of the material being sprayed. Anyway I just finished by wife's spice cabinet and it turned out fine. I'm definitely sold on PSL.