PDA

View Full Version : Adjust a Bench Legs

Gail O'Rourke
12-31-2005, 7:30 PM
Hi, a while back I made my workbench and just recently purchased the Adjust a Bench legs...I couldn't be more pleased. It is awesome, sturdy and strong and now I can start off the new year on the right track.

I also got the castor package, so with the ability to adjust the height as well as move it around the shop easily, it is the perfect addition for the small shop.

Happy New Year.

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 7:31 PM
Good choice, Gail. Geoffrey is a really nice fellow to do business with, too. (I met his "other half" recently and she's also great) Enjoy your new bench system...I love mine!

Alan Turner
12-31-2005, 8:07 PM
I put these on "Teacher's Bench" at the new shop/studio, and they are great. Up an down, depending upon the task at hand. And, Jim is right; Geoffery is a great guy and aside from the bench legs, he is a very fine furniture maker.

David LaRue
01-01-2006, 9:13 AM
Gail,

I'm so glad you posted a picture of your bench. I read your article in Woodcraft Magizine, and I was hoping to get to see the finished product. It looks great!

Can you tell me more about the front vice you have? You indicated in the article that it was "custom" who is it from. how well does it work .. yada yada yada :D

Frank Pellow
01-01-2006, 9:31 AM
Gail, the bench looks really good. If I am ever going to build a bench as big as yours and fit it into a shop as crowded as mine, I am going to need exactly that kind of legs on it. Can you provide a web link where I can find out more about the legs?

Mark Singer
01-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Gail,
Your smiling for good reason....that is a great bench...and a great leg system

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Gail, the bench looks really good. If I am ever going to build a bench as big as yours and fit it into a shop as crowded as mine, I am going to need exactly that kind of legs on it. Can you provide a web link where I can find out more about the legs?

http://www.adjustabench.com/

Geoffrey is in Trenton NJ not far from me. His showroom is great and his furniture making extraordinary. (I posted pictures here not long ago when Robert Tarr and I went over to pick up Robert's leg sets.

Gail O'Rourke
01-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jim for providing the link. David, the vice hardware was made by a machine shop local to ASWR.

I am pleased to have it finished, It was just one of those projects I couldn't find time to get done and I DIDNT want it as part of my New Year's Resolutions for 2006, wanted to clean up 2005.

Although I am going to be unable to attend, for New Englanders, I believe Adjust a Bench will be at the Woodworks show this month, the 14th in Springfield , MA.

Bob Winkler
01-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Nice bench Gail, and I'll have to check out the Adjustable Bench Legs at the Springfield show.

Not to steal the thread, but I was wondering if anyone has considered using one of the hydrauiic lift tables as a base for an adjustable bench? Something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41145

I know some Creekers (I believe Jim Becker for one) have some experience with these tables. I know it unconventional, but I was wondering if it's a viable option?

Thoughts?

Bob

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 3:08 PM
I know some Creekers (I believe Jim Becker for one) have some experience with these tables.
Not me...I have the Adjust-a-Bench. I believe Keith Outten has posted about using one of the hydraulic lifts as a lathe bench or something like that. (I did use a borrowed one back in 2000 when I brought my cabinet saw home from the dealer in a borrowed pickup. It helped me unload the pallet from the truck bed all by myself with ease.

John Hart
01-01-2006, 3:13 PM
Geez...Nice Bench Gail!!! Looks like what I need for my new shop!