PDA

View Full Version : Power down on my 80w Rabbit.

Dennis Watson
09-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Tried to engrave a stainless tumbler and it let me know something is wrong. I dont use this laser very much. Had Raymond install it back in 2013.

Anyway the mirrors are shot. Would show you a pic but not allowed. I have 3 new ones on the way.

I also think the tube itself is weak. Can I post a link to youtube of it firing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8DSZQHLSc

Thanks

Dennis Watson
09-12-2020, 5:31 PM
Let me ask this. Is there supposed to be any difference in the power output from engraving and cutting? Seems I have plenty of cut power, but engraving is pitiful.

Bert Kemp
09-13-2020, 1:23 AM
what setting are you using for engraving

Bill George
09-13-2020, 10:42 AM
Let me ask this. Is there supposed to be any difference in the power output from engraving and cutting? Seems I have plenty of cut power, but engraving is pitiful.

Sounds like a question to Ray at Rabbit Laser USA. If you have been using it for years at the same settings and now its not working sounds like dirty or cracked mirrors or lens. Unless your tube is failing but Ray will have answers.

Bert Kemp
09-13-2020, 2:55 PM
Yea I don't get it , if your cutting power is fine you'd think engraving would be too., Let us know what Ray says.

Bert Kemp
09-13-2020, 4:32 PM
I know the OP replied as I got an email with his reply but I don't see it here on the forum. why is that I wonder, did he remove his reply????

Dennis Watson
09-15-2020, 9:45 AM
Hi Bert,

Yea, I have been doing a lot of checking of the machine and determined I need a new tube. Anyway I have 3 new mirrors, a 80w GSI tube, a panel amp meter on their way and of all things the temp controller T-503 on my CW5000 has to be replaced.

So, now that I am retired I should be able to use the laser more. It has really been sitting for the last 7 years.

Bert Kemp
09-15-2020, 9:56 PM
Sitting completely idol is not good they need to work a little each month,tube will last longer that way.
Hi Bert,

Yea, I have been doing a lot of checking of the machine and determined I need a new tube. Anyway I have 3 new mirrors, a 80w GSI tube, a panel amp meter on their way and of all things the temp controller T-503 on my CW5000 has to be replaced.

So, now that I am retired I should be able to use the laser more. It has really been sitting for the last 7 years.

Dennis Watson
09-16-2020, 1:03 PM
I did not know that. Well once I get it back together I believe the amp meter is something that should come stock on these lasers.

Bert Kemp
09-16-2020, 1:44 PM
I actually bought one years ago but never installed it. I've never run my laser over 85% power and mostly at 75% it going on 6 years now, knock wood.If need be I'd run a second cut pass, but that is seldom needed. I'm not in businees so time and speed aren't a big factor.
I did not know that. Well once I get it back together I believe the amp meter is something that should come stock on these lasers.

Dennis Watson
09-16-2020, 4:26 PM
I lot of people use a percentage for power settings. Lasercut is gauged by power. How should I adjust? I guess Lasercut 100 power would be 100%?

My mirrors came today. My T-503 is coming tomorrow. The tube should get here Monday. Cant wait to engrave that tumbler.

Kev Williams
09-16-2020, 7:10 PM
glass lasers are capable of much higher than rated wattages- assuming honesty from the seller. The problem lies with the 'safe' maximum of mA's being fed to the laser. 'Safe' meaning 'for the laser', life expectancy drops dramatically when run hot. I've not found any hard 'n fast rules but based on what I've read here over the years, 50-60 watt tubes should be run no higher than 25-26mA, 80-100w tubes 26-28mA, 110-130w 28-30mA.

My Triumph 80w will be 7 years old next month. I don't use it a ton, but when cutting I've never gone beyond 27mA, and I get that @ 72% power as entered in the program. Most Chinese lasers seem to run this way, so it's important NOT to run at 100% without a mA meter. I still use the same settings as from day one, the power hasn't dropped a bit that I can tell :)

Bert Kemp
09-17-2020, 12:15 AM
Yes 100 power would be 100% I use mostly 75% power 85 if I'm cutting 1/4 inch BB but I seldom cut that
I lot of people use a percentage for power settings. Lasercut is gauged by power. How should I adjust? I guess Lasercut 100 power would be 100%?

My mirrors came today. My T-503 is coming tomorrow. The tube should get here Monday. Cant wait to engrave that tumbler.

Bill George
09-17-2020, 8:05 AM
Without a mA meter as Kev says you do not know.

Dennis Watson
09-18-2020, 10:34 AM
Just got over worrying about my chiller, the new temp controller is working. Now the part I dread, the programing it.

My mA meter is due any minute, so I will install it today and I got my mirrors.

Dennis Watson
09-23-2020, 6:24 PM
So 3 new mirrors, and a new tube, still low on power. Now that I have a amp meter to watch as I was slowly increasing the power from 50 and finally I did 100 the meter actually dropped back down to 7-9ma at full power!

Whats next? Power supply? If it is, did I buy a tube prematurely? Ray said it looked like my old tube was firing fine in a video I showed him.

Argggg.

Bill George
09-23-2020, 6:45 PM
Sounds like a question to Ray at Rabbit Laser USA. If you have been using it for years at the same settings and now its not working sounds like dirty or cracked mirrors or lens. Unless your tube is failing but Ray will have answers.

Maybe if you would have contacted Ray like I suggested.....

Bert Kemp
09-23-2020, 7:16 PM
why do you think the mirrors were shot. you said it had little use. My original mirror still working fine after 6 years.
Have you thought about becoming a contributor , then you can post pictures and stuff. I know its wicked expensive at 6 bucks a year but the help you get here is worth it.

Dennis Watson
09-23-2020, 8:23 PM
Ray said to send power supply back for testing.

Bill George
09-24-2020, 8:09 AM
Ray said to send power supply back for testing. Could of saved a lot of money doing that first.

Dennis Watson
09-24-2020, 6:17 PM
Really?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Jerome Stanek
09-24-2020, 8:36 PM
On my 60 watt if I have the min power set low sometimes my max power does not go up above 10MA