PDA

View Full Version : Antique store today

Jason Buresh
09-11-2020, 5:58 PM
Stopped at my favorite antique store tonight. Glad I did. I found a wooden mortise gauge. Master mechanic it's marked, which is a brand from menards back in the day I think. Found 2 pairs of dividers, a rusty square, and then the piece de resistance, a Stanley 98 mortice gauge with all the parts and an old English logo.

The gentleman told me to make him an offer and I didn't know what to offer and he wouldn't give me a starting point so I said $20, he told me $25, I hesitated, and then he told me because I bought ao much stuff from him that he would do $20.

I don't know how much this stuff usually goes for in a retail setting, but I am assuming $4 a piece isn't bad?

Bruce King
09-11-2020, 6:45 PM
I would think an antique store would have the highest prices. Looks like the lot would be worth a lot more.

Jim Koepke
09-11-2020, 7:52 PM
Looks like a good haul Jason. It is always a good idea to have a few pairs of dividers.

I would think an antique store would have the highest prices. Looks like the lot would be worth a lot more.

Antique stores can be all over the map on pricing. Some simply double their cost and other seem to think no matter how many parts are missing or rusty an item may be it deserves NOS ebay prices.

jtk

Stan Coryell
09-11-2020, 9:47 PM
I think you did well. The small dividers look like Osbourne. They would be stamped on the leg by the hinge. The large ones look familiar, pexto?

https://www.csosborne.com/

Stan

Jason Buresh
09-12-2020, 5:29 PM
Stan,

They are both marked T.H. Witherby

Frederick Skelly
09-12-2020, 6:32 PM
I think you did fine. I would have paid $20 for that batch.

Mel Fulks
09-12-2020, 7:32 PM
Stan,

They are both marked T.H. Witherby

Interesting. Did not know Witherby made any dividers. Familiar with chisels .

Stan Coryell
09-13-2020, 1:01 PM
I didn't know that Witherby made dividers. I did find them in the 1918 catalog, listed as "no spring "
I had them backwards, the hinge PEXTO used was open and could pinch your palm. The Osbournes were closed.

These were my Dad's.