PDA

View Full Version : Offset Lap Joint for door frame

John I LeBlanc
09-11-2020, 12:57 PM
I'm planning on making some cabinets and was going to use half-laps on the cabinet door frames (frame and panel) but thought I could offset the "tenon" a bit. Seems a little stronger to me and should also help with alignment during assembly. Is there a name for this version of the half-lap joint? I couldn't find anything online.

440902 440905

Also, am thinking of making some people doors. Was considering making two layers of the half-lap joint as above and laminating together as below with the result that it's essentially a laminated mortise and tenon:

Was thinking of doing this to help stabilize the wood rather than doing a true mortise and tenon with one layer of wood. Considering pegging and gluing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Andrew Hughes
09-11-2020, 3:21 PM
I think it’s over complicated for a cabinet door.
It also might be difficult to keep a twist out of the assembled door.

John I LeBlanc
09-11-2020, 3:43 PM
Thanks, Andrew...I do tend to over-complicate things. Ha!

Jim Matthews
09-11-2020, 8:09 PM
Half laps with a cover strip to hide visible endgrain should do. Rip the stiles prior to joinery and glue strip over the assembly.

Chamfer or 1/4 round to glue line to disguise the overlay.

Eric Arnsdorff
09-12-2020, 8:54 AM
I'm no expert on joints but I like these. I'm building some cabinets but I've decided to go with a sliding dovetail for my door corners.
I could see making use of these though.

Mike Henderson
09-12-2020, 12:18 PM
If this is regular cabinets, like kitchen cabinets, why go to all that work? Those matching router bits produce a tenon-like joint. Almost all cabinets are made that way and I haven't even heard of those joints failing. I don't remember what those router bits are called - maybe someone else will give their name.

Mike

[Stile and Rail router bits. Here's (https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/rail_and_stile_router_bits1.html)an example.]