PDA

View Full Version : never going to the dealership again

Scott Kilroy
09-10-2020, 8:56 PM
Someone took off my side view mirror but all the parts were sitting in the street so I picked them up and took it to the dealership. I asked if they could try fixing what I had and if not then replace the mirror and surrounding hardware. The dealership quoted me $750.00 to do it. They claimed that since the bracket that held the mirror in place was busted I needed to replace the whole thing. I turned them down and took it to a local collision shop. The guy told me the brackets weren't busted and clipped the mirror into the housing. He then reattached the outer shell and wouldn't charge me anything since "it was too simple". That collision shop just got a customer for life and I'm never going back to that dealership again..

glenn bradley
09-10-2020, 9:06 PM
I have never understood the "never give a sucker an even break" mentality of the dealership repair shops. It must work for them since it continues to be the standard business model for them. I have had friends that worked at dealerships. The stories are embarrassing.

Ed Aumiller
09-10-2020, 9:26 PM
Thirty plus years ago when I was working 84 hours a week and did not have time to fix things I took a weedeater to a local shop to drop off for repair...
He took one look and said just one minute.... a few minutes later he gave it to me working like a charm... when I went to pay him, he said "no charge"...

I looked around the room, saw a gas hedge trimmer I could use...
Because he was honest and decent, I walked out with a $250 trimmer and became a long time customer...

Last fall I took a 1 month old mower to a dealer for warranty as it would not run... He smelled the gas tank, said it was bad gas and not under warranty..
Took it home, was going to clean the carb when I noticed the fuel line was kinked... removed kink and it has been running fine ever since...
PS.. I only use non-ethanol gas so I knew it was not bad gas...
That dealer lost a customer... forever.

It is a shame that dealers of all types have changed instead of being decent....

Ron Citerone
09-10-2020, 9:27 PM
Yet there are people who brag about how they don’t take their car anywhere but the dealer! I like my mechanic. His father before him and now him and his son been treating us fairly for two generations. Not a fan of dealerships!

Mike Wilkins
09-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Same here. Once had a problem with a former vehicle; went to the dealership for evaluation and was given an estimate of over $1700.00. Paid the evaluation fee and left to think about it. Took the car to an independent shop and got an entirely different diagnosis which cured the problem which was covered under under my insurance. Had I paid the dealer for the repairs, I would have still had the problem and a big hole in my bank account. This misdiagnosis cured me from ever going to a dealer unless its for a warranty or recall issue. Huge praise for independent shops.

Doug Garson
09-10-2020, 10:26 PM
There are good dealerships and bad. I took my Murano into the dealer a few years ago. I bought it there but it was years past warranty coverage. It was running rough, they checked it and found the air cleaner cover was loose, a third party oil change company had probably left it loose after checking the filter. No charge. Years later it started to run rough and the check engine light came on. By the time I took it in it was running ok and the light was out. They checked it out couldn't find the problem, again no charge. Next time it acted up they suspected it was a coil but couldn't track down which one. This time they charged me for the diagnostics. Before I left the service manager asked if I was satisfied. I said I appreciated that they were trying to save me money by not replacing all the coils but it could get expensive if I had to pay multiple diagnostic fees before they found which coil was defective. He said he would put a credit equal to the cost of the diagnostic fee on my account. Next time it acted up I got into the dealer with the engine light still, on and they were able to identify which coil and replace it and the diagnostic fee was waived. So, they are not all bad.

John Goodin
09-10-2020, 10:30 PM
I run a one man home inspection business. My marketing plan is basically good customer service and regularly providing free advice to friends and people in the neighborhood. With many businesses if you build a solid reputation in your market for being fair, friendly and trustworthy you can save a lot of time and money on advertising.

Steve Demuth
09-11-2020, 8:08 AM
My wife and I have long preferred independent service shops for the reason you outline. But it gets harder all the time. There are basically only two "garages" left in our town, and one is one-man show run by someone in their early 60s. The same is true for the farmers around here - hardly any independent mechanics left.

On big reason and simultaneous compounding issue with this dirth of independent mechanics is that as machines have become increasingly computerized and now with hybrids and electrics, fundamentally different mechanically, the independent garage mechanic simply can't do many of the required maintenance and repair tasks. With my wife's Chevy Volt, her long time mechanic can really do nothing other than change the oil and rotate the tires. And the oil rarely requires a change, since the ICE in the car runs maybe 15% of her total driving. So we change it once/year "just because we should" and basically flush virgin synthetic oil in the process.

Steve Demuth
09-11-2020, 8:14 AM
Thirty plus years ago when I was working 84 hours a week and did not have time to fix things I took a weedeater to a local shop to drop off for repair...
He took one look and said just one minute.... a few minutes later he gave it to me working like a charm... when I went to pay him, he said "no charge"...

I looked around the room, saw a gas hedge trimmer I could use...
Because he was honest and decent, I walked out with a $250 trimmer and became a long time customer...

Last fall I took a 1 month old mower to a dealer for warranty as it would not run... He smelled the gas tank, said it was bad gas and not under warranty..
Took it home, was going to clean the carb when I noticed the fuel line was kinked... removed kink and it has been running fine ever since...
PS.. I only use non-ethanol gas so I knew it was not bad gas...
That dealer lost a customer... forever.

It is a shame that dealers of all types have changed instead of being decent....

I actually have exact analogues of both your experiences - at the same shop. Mr. Smith's small engine place got my business in a similar fashion to what you describe 40 years ago, and then 10 years ago, after he had passed on,and a different generation was running the place, I took a big Husky chain saw that wouldn't start the second time I used it in for what I assumed would be warranty repairs, and when I picked it up had a $350 bill for new carb and a rebuilt clutch. I lost at all attempts to convince them (remember, I'd been doing business there for 30 years, and they at least in theory knew me and the way I treat the machines I bought from them - heck, I was still running the first chain saw they ever sold me 25 years later, and they'd done the routine maintenance on it all along) that I could not have destroyed the carb and clutch in a couple hours of break-in running of a brand new saw. Paid the bill, but have never returned.

John K Jordan
09-11-2020, 8:27 AM
I have never understood the "never give a sucker an even break" mentality of the dealership repair shops. It must work for them since it continues to be the standard business model for them. I have had friends that worked at dealerships. The stories are embarrassing.

I won't use the dealers for repairs except for things under warranty.

But some dealers are better than others when buying parts. When buying suspension parts for my truck the parts manager at one dealer gave me a 40% discount just for asking. He basically agreed the "normal" prices were way too high. Another quoted about 10x the amount for an identical part I found elsewhere - they guy even said it with a straight face.

JKJ

Jim Matthews
09-11-2020, 8:45 AM
I won't use the dealers for repairs except for things under warranty.
JKJ

Amen, Reverend.

This is why Massachusetts has a "Right to repair" law.
No surprise, it is subject to frequent repeal attempts.

Here's the rationale used to justify the ballot issue;

"This ballot question will create easy opportunities for strangers, hackers and criminals to access consumer vehicles and personal driving data–including real-time location. It will put people at risk, without doing anything to improve the consumer experience."

https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_Question_1,_%22Right_to_Repair_Law%2 2_Vehicle_Data_Access_Requirement_Initiative_(2020 )#Opposition

Alan Rutherford
09-11-2020, 9:25 AM
There are good dealerships and bad...

Several years ago my wife and I were going through the mountains of Wyoming pulling a double-axle trailer loaded up to the 5,000 pound towing limit of her old Chevy Blazer. As we pulled into a small town - I think it was Sheridan - I realized that one of the rear wheels on the car had overheated. I wanted someone to look at it so I took it to the Chevy dealer. I can't remember now whether there was nothing wrong or there was something minor and they fixed it. In any case, they charged me their full shop rate for the time they spent on it: 15 minutes. $17 later I was on my way.

Competent and fair is all I ask for and that's what they were. I wish they weren't so far away.

Lisa Starr
09-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Yep. I've had both good and horrible experiences with dealerships. In general, I absolutely would not use the dealership for my Subaru purchased from them. Every time it went in for warranty work, they "found" 5 other things it need also. The straw that broke the camel's back was the new wiper blades it supposedly needed 3 days after I put a set on. For years there after, my local mechanic took care of the car. Somewhere along the line, there was a recall for a brake line splitter and the car went in, along with my husband. He argued that it needed replaced at the time, but they said no, we'll just coat it with this sealer. Well fast forward about 11 months, and I was driving the car when the brakes went soft and then stopped working entirely in a matter of 1 minute. Thankfully, I got pulled off without incident. The car went back to the dealer and they then decided that splitter should have been replaced. Due to the age and miles, they couldn't get the brake lines free without ruining them to replace the part. Low and behold, at 187,000 miles, they warrantied all new lines from front to back!

John K Jordan
09-11-2020, 12:56 PM
... all new lines from front to back!

Wow, that can be a big job. I'm glad you got stopped safely.

I had to replace brake lines on my '99 diesel truck, one to the rear brakes then two under the hood just recently (brakes failed with a 18' gooseneck trailer and 150 bales of hay in tow). Both repairs were painfully difficult and time consuming, mostly do to the limited access and working under the vehicle in the gravel. Fortunately, I was able to do all this myself with bulk break line and a flare tool from the auto parts store.

JKJ

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2020, 6:06 PM
I have had good and bad experiences with dealers. Until 2001 when I broke my back, I did all of my own auto work including changing oil. Now my dealer gets the work on both our cars but I ride a strict line with them. My wife won't allow them to do work until she consults me for my opinion.

Over 8 years ago I had some serious dental work done, quite expensive. Yet, early this Tuesday when I called for an appointment to replace a broken tooth in my upper denture, they scheduled me for Wednesday, made another appointment for Thursday with the prosthodontist who scheduled an outside denturist make the repair. I returned yesterday to give up my dentures and returned 4 hours later. The prosthodontist had me put my teeth back in and then he made some minor adjustments on the other denture. The bill? $0.00. BTW I have sent others to him because of the quality of the work he and his Dad do.

Sadly, in every profession one has to find one you can trust for quality of work and reasonable fees.

Stephen Rosenthal
09-11-2020, 8:01 PM
I’ve used an independent mechanic from the day my 2006 BMW went out of warranty. As luck would have it, he was one of the chief mechanics at a nearby BMW dealership. He told me about the “scare sheet”, the list of things they recommend that supposedly need repair whenever one brings a car in for service. Lots of people fall for it. He got fed up with that bs and decided to open his own shop, servicing BMWs and Mercedes exclusively. The guy is totally honest and often doesn’t charge for labor when the fix is easy, and I usually get my car back the same day.

Bruce Wrenn
09-11-2020, 9:39 PM
My sister owned a Volvo, and used an independent shop. Shop only used genuine Volvo parts. Her car needed an oil seal, $58.00 from Volvo, with a two week wait time. Looked it up at National Oil Seal, and it was less than three bucks. She went to shop and said order the National Oil Seal. She finally figured that the shop was ripping customers off on parts that are generic in nature. An oil seal, and a bearing are generic parts, IMHO!

Dave Lehnert
09-11-2020, 10:36 PM
Lady I worked with had a car she spent a few thousand total over many visits at the dealer trying to fix a problem with it stalling.
She got sick of it and sold it to my brother. My brother one Saturday called a local radio show where you could call in and ask auto repair questions. The host was an owner of a auto repair shop. My brother gave him the details and the host said. " we get that model in all the time with that problem" A screwdriver and a $75 part later problem solved.

Jeff Body
09-11-2020, 11:16 PM
I'm never going to the dealer again.

I bought a special on oil changes $200 for 4 oil changes. It was a good deal because my car needed 7 quarts of synthetic.
1st Oil change - They inflated all 4 tires to 48psi. I of course noticed it and fixed that problem.
2nd Oil change - They thought they'd be nice and give the car a quick wash without asking. Used a degreaser on the front that stained the front paint. I had to use a heavy cut and polish to get rid of it.
3rd oil change - They pushed on the bottom pan so hard they busted the power steering cooler. (In their defense, it was relocated lower than normal for the supercharger intercooler)
4th and final time - I had a lapse in judgement and had them do a transmission fluid change. This one was the nail on the coffin. I noticed that the car was shifting sluggish on the way home. Now on the chrysler 300 there's no way I normal person can check the transmission fluid level. I, on the other hand, am not your normal person. I have the tool to check the fluid level and the computer software to read the car's computer to get the temperature of the fluid. You use a chart and the fluid level is determined by the temp of the fluid. So when I checked the level it was 2 quarts overfilled.
I immediately called the dealership and told them about it. I was told I didn't know what I was doing and how you can't check the fluid level, ect, ect, ect. I took it back in and sat in on the tech fixing the problem. He didn't even know how to check the transmission fluid level according to the service manual. He flat out told me he just guesses.
I learned my lesson and went back to doing ALL of my car work again.

Tom Stenzel
09-12-2020, 1:40 AM
I'm never going to the dealer again...

I, on the other hand, am not your normal person. I have the tool to check the fluid level and the computer software to read the car's computer to get the temperature of the fluid. You use a chart and the fluid level is determined by the temp of the fluid.
I learned my lesson and went back to doing ALL of my car work again.

I've got a feeling that pretty much all of SMC is 'not your normal person'!

Your post reminded me that with two 62TE Chrysler automatics at home I should break down and get one of those dipsticks (a CRY933). Wow- they're over $50:eek:. I wouldn't have guessed that a section of speedometer cable would be so expensive.

My daughter's car was in for an alignment yesterday and was told that the front suspension of her car needed expensive work. I just replaced the struts two days ago, there's nothing wrong. This wasn't a dealer.

She called me and asked what she should do. I'll let everyone's imagination fill in the rest.

-Tom

Jim Becker
09-12-2020, 9:54 AM
I’ve had better luck with the dealership than most independent shops but that’s clearly not the same experience for others. Use the resource that you are most comfortable with and that does the best job in your circumstances

Travis Conner
09-12-2020, 10:29 AM
If that's all it took, then why didnt you just do it?

Chuck Wintle
09-12-2020, 10:31 AM
I’ve had better luck with the dealership than most independent shops but that’s clearly not the same experience for others. Use the resource that you are most comfortable with and that does the best job in your circumstances
I would have thought the independent shops need the business to stay in business vs the large shops who repair under warranty and thus are more honest and conscientious but human nature is unpredictable.

Dave Lehnert
09-12-2020, 11:23 AM
I take my car into the dealer for an oil change. They do a full synthetic for $16.95.

They called and said I needed a new cabin filter. I said "The same cabin filter I just replaced last night?"

Years ago I had a Doge Dakota pick up. There was a recall something about steering coming loose, need new brackets welded on. I called the dealer to make an appointment. The kid who answered the phone in the service department said "My boss just purchased a welder and going to show us how to use it. It will be a few days till we can get you in"

I had a 1997 F150 v6 that had the hydro lock problem. Before I knew I had the problem, I would ask the service department at the dealer about it. They knew nothing about such problem. Walked out front to get in my truck and a salesman smoking said "Put a new engine it yet" Every time I go to auto parts store to buy filters etc they would ask If I put a new engine in it yet.
I showed Symptoms of the problem they day I drove it off the lot new. I did not know better then but they just pushed me off till it was out of warranty. Ended up putting a new engine in it at my expense.

Ronald Blue
09-12-2020, 1:00 PM
It's a broad paint brush indeed to say all dealers are dishonest or incompetent. Just as to say every independent is top notch. As has been stated there are good and bad in both. The other thing you overlooked is the infamous flat rate manual. Of course it's computerized today but many times the charge is the industry accepted labor rate. Everything is figured out by "experts". I have never worked as an auto mechanic but know plenty who have. The reality is someone is getting taken by the flat rate manual. Either the customer or the mechanic. Many good mechanics learn work around's to save time because time is money. If something returns because they din't do it right they are giving away their labor to fix it. The dealerships also take care of their good mechanics by giving the best jobs. There are of course those who specialize in transmissions or the electronics. Because oil changes are not highly technical jobs they tend to put beginners or less skilled on them. Just a reality. If a dealership damaged my vehicle in any manner I would be all over it. I had a dealership body shop get over spray on my vehicle through carelessness. They were able to buff it off but were prepared to repaint if needed. Many dealerships wash vehicles when they service them. If they damaged the finish through their actions they would be correcting it and not I. Living in a rural area there are limited options in both dealerships and independent repair shops. So the bad ones don't usually last. The other reality is I don't care how good the shop whether private or a dealer they will never please everyone. That's a fact proven here all to often. Instead of giving a company a chance to make something right they come here to air their grievances. Go to them first and see whether you can get a satisfactory resolution.

Rollie Meyers
09-12-2020, 10:57 PM
On the only vehicle I ever bought new, a 1992 F150 4X4 Flairside, been on the lot a year when I bought it, it was having a problem some years later with the instrument cluster not displaying anything and transmission would not shift, took it to the dealer & $700 later still same issue & was told it needed a new instrument cluster which was $500 & special order, took it to a shop recommended by the shop who rebuilt the tranny, $63 later found the problem, dirty connector for the speed sensor in the rear differential.

Ford

Owners

Recommend

Dodge

Bruce Wrenn
09-13-2020, 9:06 PM
Now for some fun. Daughter calls one day and says her battery is dead. So I grab an extra battery from shop and go to her rescue. Swap batteries, then crank car. Check alternator (under warranty) output, and there is none. So we head to local Autozone for a new (rebuilt, with lifetime warranty.) Customer service guy verifies that alternator is bad, so we get replacement, which I install. He also asks her how long she has had that battery, as it also may need replacement. She looks at him and says "About fifteen minutes, and if your alternator hadn't failed, I wouldn't have needed this battery." Shut him up QUICK! Wife owned an 82 Buick Skylark. Alternator had a leaking positive diode, which meant the alternator / battery light faintly glowed. Took it to dealer for service for another problem. Immediately they informer her she needed a new $400 alternator, as the battery would soon be dead as the light was on. Wife asked "How soon, as the light has been on for four years now?" For same Skylark, bought (under warranty) at starter at Advance Auto. Installed that night, and next morning drove to Savannah GA. Car wouldn't crank (starter.) Finally got it cranked and went to Advance. They had one starter in stock. Told clerk to hold it as we were going next door to eat and would be back. Left car running, locked the doors and ate dinner. Come back to Advance, and wait for end parking space to become available. Drove left front wheel onto curb,raising front of car. A customer said, "You can't drive," till he watched me crawl under elevated front and change starter in less than five minutes. Friend bought a car from State Surplus, with no oil pressure. Before he drove it off the lot, reached down and plugged oil pressure sending switch up. Now it had oil pressure. He had bid salvage price for car, so it was a sure enough deal. When I was in college, worked nights at local service station. One cold rainy night just before closing time get a call for a car that wouldn't crank, so I drive my truck over after work to "jump it." Lady says lights work, but it won't crank. Get in, press in clutch, and car immediately cranks. She had forgotten that her car had a safety switch on the clutch.