PDA

View Full Version : Blanchard or Surface grinder for this job?

Mark Gibney
09-10-2020, 12:29 AM
I need to have 1/8" ground off these two pieces of metal -

Is blanchard grinding or surface grinding the way to go? And why?
The look and texture of the resulting surface does not matter, and it will never be seen once back on the machine.

thanks, Mark

Kevin Jenness
09-10-2020, 3:34 AM
Wouldn't that amount of material removal be better suited to a milling machine than a grinder?

Al Launier
09-10-2020, 9:01 AM
Like Ken said: a face mill would be more appropriate.

Mark Gibney
09-10-2020, 9:32 AM
A milling machine! - thanks, I'll look for that service. Appreciate it.

Dave Sabo
09-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Why do need/want so much material removed ?

Bruce Page
09-10-2020, 1:04 PM
Yes, it’s definitely a milling job. Any typically equipped machine shop can do it. Is the opposite surface already machined?

Peter Kelly
09-10-2020, 3:14 PM
Linear grinding or even planning might be the better choice if the opposing surfaces are moving parts.

What are you trying to accomplish? Those castings look like SCMI made them.

Erik Loza
09-10-2020, 3:30 PM
Yeah, Italian parts for sure. Could be Griggio, too.

To the OP, do they really need to be re-ground? Could you just face-lap them with some emery paper or something?

Erik

Peter Kelly
09-10-2020, 4:59 PM
I agree, re-machining these sorts of things should be a last resort. Parts will no longer be to spec one you get them back from the shop.

Frank Pratt
09-11-2020, 12:05 AM
Yeah, Italian parts for sure. Could be Griggio, too.

To the OP, do they really need to be re-ground? Could you just face-lap them with some emery paper or something?

Erik

He needs to have 1/8" taken off.

Erik Loza
09-11-2020, 9:22 AM
He needs to have 1/8" taken off.

Yeah, but "why?"

Erik

Frank Pratt
09-11-2020, 9:46 AM
Yeah, but "why?"

Erik

Who knows? People need to realize they'll get better responses to questions if they would follow their own threads & respond to inquiries.

Mark Gibney
09-11-2020, 10:06 AM
Who knows? People need to realize they'll get better responses to questions if they would follow their own threads & respond to inquiries.

I checked in yesterday morning, got an appropriate answer, went to work, checking in now before I go to work.
Appreciate the knowledge available on here!

Dave Sabo
09-11-2020, 10:21 AM
I checked in yesterday morning, got an appropriate answer, went to work, checking in now before I go to work.
Appreciate the knowledge available on here!

But you’ve still left out a piece of the puzzle.

You’ve tapped the wisdom here, but haven’t really done your part by adding to the discussion.

Bill Dufour
09-11-2020, 10:24 AM
A shop with a shaper or a horizontal milling machine would be the fastest and probably cheapest way to go. Both those machines have been pretty much forgotten in a modern shop. If you find a shop with them they probably started before 1950.
Bil lD

Frank Pratt
09-11-2020, 11:25 AM
A shop with a shaper or a horizontal milling machine would be the fastest and probably cheapest way to go. Both those machines have been pretty much forgotten in a modern shop. If you find a shop with them they probably started before 1950.
Bil lD

Check out the Abom79 channel on YouTube. He has an old shaper in his home shop & loves using the thing. They are pretty amazing machines.

Brian Holcombe
09-11-2020, 5:33 PM
People still use Horizontal mills, plenty of guys on Practical Machinist that are into Deckels. I'd love to buy one but no space..

Anywho, those flanges are going to be pretty thin after whacking 1/8"....is there a coordinating part that can be shimmed out 1/8?

Al Launier
09-30-2020, 11:25 AM
People still use Horizontal mills, plenty of guys on Practical Machinist that are into Deckels. I'd love to buy one but no space..

Anywho, those flanges are going to be pretty thin after whacking 1/8"....is there a coordinating part that can be shimmed out 1/8?

It appears the OP may have already started to reworks the parts (ref. #13, but I think your suggestion may be the best. That way the original integrity of the pieces are maintained.