PDA

View Full Version : Storing long tracks for track saws

tim walker
09-09-2020, 1:07 PM
Hi all and happy Wednesday. Good day here in Texas Hill Country, my 118" Makita track arrived via FedEx. Shipping container heavier than track. Now waiting for actual saw and 55" track. Anyhow, how do those of you with long tracks store your track? I have 10 ft ceilings so can go vertical if that's best but how to keep from bowing?

Jim Becker
09-09-2020, 1:28 PM
Mine is on a wall, parallel to the floor above my original sheet goods storage location. I keep the shorter ones there, too. I made some wooden brackets to keep it standing on the thicker back edge "flat to the wall", as it were. (It obviously leans just a hair because the brackets are intentionally "not tight")

mike stenson
09-09-2020, 1:37 PM
Nail in a post and hang.. post and beam construction is handy for some things.

Brian Tymchak
09-09-2020, 1:58 PM
Same as Jim. I used the side of a soffit in my basement shop to keep them completely out of my way.

James Cheever
09-09-2020, 2:09 PM
I use FastCap Track Rack System Mounting Brackets on my garage door. From Amazon.

Harvey Miller
09-09-2020, 2:45 PM
Same as Jim, but mine are in the original shipping boxes.

Brian Tymchak
09-09-2020, 3:49 PM
I use FastCap Track Rack System Mounting Brackets on my garage door. From Amazon.

Oh I like those. Thanks for the tip. Looks like Woodcraft has them for $20.

Rick Potter
09-09-2020, 9:45 PM
I just drilled a hole on one end of the tracks and hang them on a nail. You can store several tracks on one nail if you have them. I have two tracks and a long straight edge on one nail. A post for mine, but the wall would be fine also.

Jim Becker
09-10-2020, 9:10 AM
Rick, my Festool tracks already had the holes. :) But vertical storage isn't practical for the long track for most folks' shops.

ChrisA Edwards
09-10-2020, 9:21 AM

Do you have a link for these? Can't seem to find them on Amazon, thanks

Jim Dwight
09-10-2020, 9:22 AM
My shop garage has a 8 foot ceiling so I store my long track on top of my lumber horizontally. It isn't the greatest arrangement because the track has to move to get to the lumber but it works. If I had the ceiling height I would hang it. I should measure to be sure but I don't think my garage door is wide enough. I think I will go check.

I was wrong, my garage door (9 foot) is long enough for my DeWalt track. Now I need to decide build or buy. Nice little project for this morning to build so that is probably what I will do.

Here is what I came up with. The bottom layer of each of the three hangers is 3/4 softwood - just because I had scraps. It is about 2.25 wide by 20 inches long. In the middle are two 2x2.25 pieces of nominally 1/2 plywood. On the side nearest you are pieces of 2.25 by about 6 inches long pieces of 6mm luan plywood. Everything is just scraps I had lying around. I glued and pin nailed the layers together and then screwed them to the inner metal layer of my insulated shop garage door (nominally 9 feet wide). I purposely spaced the middle piece so the 59 and 44 inch track could each use a bit of it - not in the middle of the garage door. The tracks don't go in easily if I put the soft side towards the racks but go in OK with the rib side towards them as in the pictures. I should have beveled the edge of the 6mm layer. But it works. The spring on the door already needed adjustment and now needs it a little more but it doesn't come down or anything if I open it. Tracks can go in or out with the door up or down.

Brian Tymchak
09-10-2020, 9:34 AM

https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-02896-Track-Systems-Mounting/dp/B085FPHJTH

Jim Dwight
09-10-2020, 9:57 AM
I would check shipping from Woodcraft or direct from Fastcap before buying from Amazon. The other sources are about $8 cheaper - without shipping.

Cliff Polubinsky
09-10-2020, 10:10 AM
I put all my tracks in one of the Lee Valley track saw guide rail bags and hang it from a rafter.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/workshop/carrying-and-moving/110983-lee-valley-track-saw-guide-rail-bag-for-3000mm-120-inch-guide-rail?item=50K6042

Cliff

Mike Henderson
09-10-2020, 11:57 AM

Try here (https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-02896-Track-Systems-Mounting/dp/B085FPHJTH/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=FastCap+-+Track+Rack&qid=1599753270&sr=8-1).

Also here (https://www.woodcraft.com/products/track-rack-fastcap).

Mike

Ted Calver
09-10-2020, 12:22 PM
If you use Mike's second link and enter the promo code 'Sawdust' you will get free shipping, and save over the Amazon price.

William Chain
09-10-2020, 12:40 PM
I used a nickel's worth of scrap plywood to make brackets (basically three pieces in the shape of a 'J') and some drywall screws to assemble and secure to the wall. Could use shorter screws and put these on a garage door I guess.

Jim Matthews
09-10-2020, 10:28 PM

That's clever.

Kudos

Jim Becker
09-11-2020, 11:04 AM
My brackets are similar to William’s...but not as nice.

Alan Lightstone
09-12-2020, 9:10 AM
I hang all three sizes of mine vertically from one screw I drilled into the cider block.

But that Lee Valley rail bag looks very nice, as does the Fast Cap, but I only have room for vertical storage.