PDA

View Full Version : Jim, Alison, Nastia and Alesya Becker

John Bailey
12-31-2005, 6:05 PM
Jim, Alison, Nastia and Alesya,

Please pass this on to Nastia and Alesya.

Privet Devochki!!! Kak u vas dela? Ya pozdravlyayu vas obeih, Nastia i Alesya, s proshedshim Rozhdestvom i s nastupayushim Novim 2006 Godom.

Dobro Pozhalovat v Nashu stranu, ya ponimayu schto eto bolshaya peremena v vashei zhizni. Ya zhelayu schtobi eta peremena povliyalo na vashu zhizn tolko v luchshuyu storonu. Takzhe shelayu vam chastiya v novoi semie.

John.

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2005, 6:34 PM
Yea....what John said.....I think.:confused: :D

Tyler Howell
12-31-2005, 6:37 PM
That's easy for you to say!!!;)

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 7:26 PM
Thanks...I'll tell them tomorrow. "New Years" is cancelled today due to behavior issues, unfortunately.

For those not familiar, New Years ("Novogod") is the big holiday in Russia...presents and all. Christmas is only a religious holiday and is actually celebrated after New Years because the Orthdox Church uses a different calendar than we do.

Steve Clardy
12-31-2005, 8:30 PM
Yea....what John said.....I think.:confused: :D

I didn't get that one either Dennis:confused: :( :)

Guess us Arkies don't speakie the Russian:rolleyes: :D

Frank Chaffee
12-31-2005, 8:35 PM
Jim,
Here’s wishing you and your family a wonderful new year!
You have done much towards making the year just passed a good one for me. Thank You,
Frank

John Bailey, all I understood from your message was “ya ponimayu schto eto bolshaya…”, so I guess my understanding is not big enough, but is has been 40 years and more since I studied Russki yazic.

rick fulton
12-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Jim –

I read somewhere recently that the Russian Xmas was moved to Jan 7th after the revolution in 1917. They changed the day to place more emphasis on the non-religious New Years Day. Because of this, Father Frost (Russian Santa Claus) is associated with New Years Day rather than Christmas.

I’m thinking you may have some disappointed girls if there are no presents to open at midnight. How can you not give into those smiling faces? Enjoy them now, their teen years will drive you crazy.
Hope you have a safe and prosperous New Year.

rick

John Bailey
12-31-2005, 11:49 PM
To all who think I know any Russian at all, my wife and I have a girl from Kazakhstan that we are helping through college. She was a former foreign exchange student at my school when I was a principal, and has returned to attend college. She is with us this New Year's and I thought it would be cool for Jim's girls to get a "howdy" and well wishes in Russian. Half of Kazakhstan speaks Russian so I got Medina to type the message for the girls. I wondered later if the girls would be able to read the Russian using English letters. If not, we can switch the computer over to Russian and re-do the message.

Steve,

I used to spend a lot of time in Mt. View Arkansas, so, I speakie Arkie a little better than Russian. Used to do a lot of "pickins" down there and "turnin' the car around."

John

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2006, 8:00 AM
Steve,
I used to spend a lot of time in Mt. View Arkansas, so, I speakie Arkie a little better than Russian. Used to do a lot of "pickins" down there and "turnin' the car around."
John

Well now.....I'm impressed with you John Bailey!!!!! One for helping an exchange student, very kind of you and two for ever being in Arkansas. Mt. View is a nice place. So whenya comin' down fer a visit?;) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2006, 8:03 AM
Well, I guess it's only fitting and proper to wish them a southern wish for a Happy New Year.....

Fleas on my Dawg!!!!!!:D :D

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 12:16 PM
I read somewhere recently that the Russian Xmas was moved to Jan 7th after the revolution in 1917. They changed the day to place more emphasis on the non-religious New Years Day. Because of this, Father Frost (Russian Santa Claus) is associated with New Years Day rather than Christmas.

The Orthodox Church determined the date for Christmas for their members...and they are a very old organization that dates back to, well...a long time!