PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year! The Grizzly 1023SL

Lloyd McKinlay
12-31-2005, 6:04 PM
was ordered this morning. First task at hand is a bath vanity and built in linen cabinets; then on to the big project, taking the kitchen down to the studs and building out. Any suggestions for wood species typically found in a 100 year old house in the Pacific Northwest?

Jim DeLaney
12-31-2005, 6:48 PM
was ordered this morning. First task at hand is a bath vanity and built in linen cabinets; then on to the big project, taking the kitchen down to the studs and building out. Any suggestions for wood species typically found in a 100 year old house in the Pacific Northwest?

Lotsa Alder growing up there, as I recall. Quite a bit of maple, too.

Actually, it's been about 35 years since I lived in the PNW, and back then the only thing anybody did with Alder was cut it for firewood. Couldn't give the stuff away otherwise. My, how times change!

My last kitchen re-do, at my California house, was all in Alder. Finished it with Arm-R-Seal, and it looked great. Was about three years old when I sold the house, and it was holding up very well. I was initially a bit concerned with the Alder possibly being a bit soft for the wear & tear that kitchen cabs get, but that turned out not to be a problem.

Whatever species you use, remember to take plenty of pictures for us!

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 6:53 PM
Lloyd, that's a wonderful way to start the year...with a nice new saw. And you'll enjoy the projects you have planned, including the kitchen, despite the hard work and time it takes. I did the same kitchen thing back in 2003....pics at this link (http://sawsndust.com/p_kit-demo.htm)...drawings at this one (http://sawsndust.com/p_kitchen.htm)...and I saved an incredible amount of money. Basically, the kitchen job cost me about a third of what it would have cost for an identical job by any of the reputable local contractors. That's a nice way to more easily afford high-end appliances and counter tops. I know I couldn't have otherwise.

Steve Clardy
12-31-2005, 8:37 PM
Nice gloat!! I'm very satisfied with my 1023.

Don't forget the pics when the saw arrives. Tyler will be bugging you!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-31-2005, 9:12 PM
Congrats Lloyd! That's a great saw!........that Tyler

Mark Rios
12-31-2005, 9:17 PM
With all this talk about the 1023's lately, I'm really close to pulling the trigger on ordering that saw.

Can anyone tell me though, why is a left tilt more money?

Congrats BTW, on the new saw. Maybe in a few days we'll be twins. :D :D :D

Greg Johnson
12-31-2005, 9:27 PM
Lloyd,
Congrats on the new saw. I have had a 1023SL for about a year now and it's a GREAT investment. In reading your post, there are a couple of ways of interpreting your question, but if you are referring to the lumber in your house, I have a story. A friend of mine did a major remodel on an old farm house. When he started to rip into it he found some beautiful old growth VG fir that was used for underlayment. He carefully removed it and replaced it with plywood. He made all of the cabinets in his house with that wood, complete with a few old nail holes. The cabinets are beautiful and add a lot to the character to his old/new home. I have the same underlayment in parts of the old portion of my home. Unfortunately it has my new red oak floors on top now.

Greg