PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my completed router table fence

Jeremy Gibson
12-31-2005, 5:50 PM
I have been working on enhancing my table saw and preparing it to perform double-duty as a router table. I started by making a right-hand extention table that will form the table top. My Grizzly contractor saw has the AlumaClassic fence, and it used a rear post to glide along the rear rail. I replaced the post with a small 3/8" piece of UHMW plastic to ride on the table top.

Over the Christmas break my father-in-law and I completed the router fence. It is made out of 3/4" MDF with 3/4" melamine split fence fronts. I have some T-Track on the top for the bit guard and feather boards. Another T-Track is dado'd into the back of the split fence and held onto the sub fence with four flange bolts and knobs. I'll clamp the whole thing to the table saw fence when it's time to use it.

You may notice the glaring absence of a router in the table top. I have a Hitachi M12 waiting in the wings and am waiting for another sale from Woodpeckers on their plunge lift.

Thanks for looking!

Matt Meiser
12-31-2005, 6:00 PM
Looks good. Might I suggest making some extra fence faces so that you have some available to use as zero-clearance fences when needed? I haven't needed them much, but they made for much nicer cuts when doing raised panel doors for cutting the styles.

Charles Bruno
12-31-2005, 6:33 PM
Nice design Jeremy,
I've thought about making something simular for my T/S.

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 6:47 PM
Good job on that fence, Jeremy. The split face design is really the best, IMHO, for both the abilty to do zero-clearance as well as offsets for things like jointing small pieces fully or partially. Matt's suggestion is good...have some additional faces "waiting in the wings"...you'll have space once your router moves out of said "wings" :) ...and having them ready to go makes for easy decisions to change them. Further making a bunch at one time is easier than one or two in the long haul.