PDA

View Full Version : That Craftsman Jack plane?

steven c newman
09-08-2020, 3:37 PM
Hmmm, handsome, ain't it..:eek:
Made by...
Millers Falls for Sears....
No frog adjust bolt? Red frog!....BIG BRASS adjustor wheel..

Might take a few days....haven't much else going on...:rolleyes:

wearing this thing might slow me down a bit...
It might turn into more of a "pain in the neck" than rehabbing a Jack plane...we'll see...:rolleyes:

steven c newman
09-08-2020, 4:53 PM
Iron and a chipbreaker have been worked on....chipbreaker that came with this jack was..basically shot....just happened to have a spare.

Iron was NOT flat.....in about every direction at once.....finally got it pounded flat ( ball pean hammer, ash scrap, use the leg of the bench as a "soft" anvil...) and then fully cleaned up, and the back is now flat, too. Haven't done any more sharpening to it...needs a cup of water taken to the shop...

May grind a slight camber on this iron, we'll see...

Fun part will be tearing this "thing" down into all the small parts...

steven c newman
09-08-2020, 8:48 PM
Took a long time, today....impact drill to free up two frog bolts...frog had been slid too far forward, had trouble getting a screwdriver to even fit fully into the slots...
Bolt for the adjuster wheel had an issue....went to remove the wheel..bolt and all came out...There was also one MAJOR issue....seems the base was repaired...
bad braze...and..
Could not see either nor the clump on the inside...for all the crud....checked the sole....very bad. Well, I do have a beltsander,,,
Didn't rush, let things cool a bit, before the next session...while sitting a straightedge along this banana...was HIGH right behind the braze/mouth area....right now? it is as flat as it will ever get...a small low spot up front, another on the fantail....
Frog cleaned up, bolt repaired....
Hardware cleaned up....new paint in the lever cap...

I have a Millers Falls #900 V Line....I may swap out the front knobs between it and the jack...and see about a repair for the tote...
I am worn out....may need to get the air hose out, and blow out the beltsander...we made quite a mess..

Will try to sharpen the iron, and get that set up..tomorrow..
Stay tuned...

Jason Buresh
09-08-2020, 10:29 PM

I got this Craftsman jack for a $1 at a rummage sale last year. It's probably my best jack plane

steven c newman
09-09-2020, 10:27 PM
All cleaned up...
Found a Rosewood tote that looked a bit better...swapped knobs with a M-F VLine plane...sharpened the iron..
Not too bad, for a Jack plane?

Will work on a couple new totes....
As there are two that have lost their horns....
Twins?