PDA

View Full Version : Freud Super Dado or Pro?

Thomas Colson
09-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Freud sells a "Super" dado set, 24 T, and a "regular" Pro one with 12 T. Which one would you recommend? The Super Dado is a bit out of my price range for what I do, which is occasional groove cutting. I'm not a production cabinet shop. Will the 12 T set, which is 100$ cheaper, give me "flat" enough grooves for good glue joints in a variety of hard & softwood, plywood, and MDF? Delta 36-725

Mel Fulks
09-08-2020, 1:26 PM
I would buy the 12 tooth. It will actually cut faster,if you feel or see a bump just run the piece again. One advantage to
fewer teeth is its easier to put the set pieces on the arbor without chipping the carbide teeth. Never lend dados to a
"friend" who doesn't understand how fragile carbide is. Keep cardboard between the boxed pieces.

Jim Dwight
09-08-2020, 1:53 PM
I used to own the Pro set in both six inch and 8 inch. It will cut flat bottomed dados. It will also cut somewhat roughly but if you move the workpiece slowly that can help. The bigger issue with the current Pro set in my opinion is it only comes with three chippers. The super set has six. Any dado that is not a multiple of 1/8 inch is done spacers with the Pro. I think that makes it much more difficult to set up. The Super has a 1/16 and a 3/32 chipper so you can usually cut a dado without a shim. But as you said, it is twice as much.

I ruined my 8 inch pro and haven't bought a replacement set. For now I cut dados with a router. If I buy a replacement set, it will be the super Freud set or the DeWalt equivalent. I just did not like the 8 inch Pro. My old 6 inch set had more chippers and I liked it better.

If you really want a set for about $100 I would get the CMT 12 tooth before the Freud 208. It has a 1/16 chipper (but not the 3/32). I really like Freud blades but I have also found CMT table saw blades, domino cutters and router bits to be high quality.

Thomas Colson
09-08-2020, 3:13 PM
I used to own the Pro set in both six inch and 8 inch. It will cut flat bottomed dados. It will also cut somewhat roughly but if you move the workpiece slowly that can help. The bigger issue with the current Pro set in my opinion is it only comes with three chippers. The super set has six. Any dado that is not a multiple of 1/8 inch is done spacers with the Pro. I think that makes it much more difficult to set up. The Super has a 1/16 and a 3/32 chipper so you can usually cut a dado without a shim. But as you said, it is twice as much.

I ruined my 8 inch pro and haven't bought a replacement set. For now I cut dados with a router. If I buy a replacement set, it will be the super Freud set or the DeWalt equivalent. I just did not like the 8 inch Pro. My old 6 inch set had more chippers and I liked it better.

If you really want a set for about $100 I would get the CMT 12 tooth before the Freud 208. It has a 1/16 chipper (but not the 3/32). I really like Freud blades but I have also found CMT table saw blades, domino cutters and router bits to be high quality.

I should add the times I will be making dado's in anything other than 1/8" increments will be never. In fact, 99% of what I do will be 1/2 or 3/4, with the occasional finger joints and 1/4 inch slots for drawer bottoms.

bill epstein
09-08-2020, 4:03 PM
Neither. I had the better Freud set for years beginning in about 1990. Not really flat bottomed but fine as my work needs are much like yours.

When I needed a new set, I was put off by all the nits I read on the Freud, as well as the price. I bought the Oshlun 6" and am pleased. Not even close to flat bottomed but adequate. The Oshlun is very accurate, has 5 tooth chippers, and a very sturdy storage box. $86 on Amazon.

glenn bradley
09-08-2020, 5:51 PM
I have both because sometimes I just want a dado or to hog out a lot of material Sometimes I want the cleanest 'show' result possible; this is when the more teeth, slower feed comes in. Just like with most cutters ;-) I would find the 12 tooth fine for almost anything. I just happened on a couple of 'too good to pass up' deals a couple years apart.