PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Question

Greg Sorenson
12-31-2005, 4:40 PM
I have been turning pens and bottle stoppers for awhile now and would like to try my hand at some smaller bowls. I have the jet mini lathe and would like to hear your suggestions on what type of chuck to buy. There seems to be so many variteies on the market. I would hate to buy the wrong type. So how about helping me out and giving me your opinions.

Thanks!

Greg

Jim Ketron
12-31-2005, 4:50 PM
Buy the best you can afford!
I started on the Jet Mini and I got the Oneway Talon Perfect size for a mini lathe. But also works on a larger lathe for I now use it on my PM 3520a lathe, its a great Chuck and only need one hand to tighten it.

Andy Hoyt
12-31-2005, 5:02 PM
I'll second the nomination for the Oneway Talon. Nothing beats it.

And it can move to a bigger lathe with a different spindle configuration for about $25. Thusly, it should last forever.

Cecil Arnold
12-31-2005, 6:37 PM
What Jim and Andy said.

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 7:12 PM
I'll also recommend the Talon, but also mention that there are so many ways to turn small to mid-sized bowls and vessels without a chuck. A 3" faceplate and a sacrificial glue block being one of them.

Greg Sorenson
01-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll go with the Talon Oneway. Now to find the best price. Thanks again.

Greg

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Best price is often direct from OneWay, Greg...there is little or no discounting and OneWay has free shipping above $150 in merchandise, I believe. (Other than lathes, of course...)