PDA

View Full Version : PTW Moisture Level for woodworking?

Jay Knoll
12-31-2005, 4:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Well this appears to be the time when I am fixing mistakes I made, or others made, that have led to rot/wood damage in the moist Florida climate. A couple of years ago I build my wife an outdoor wet bar (tile top) I made a big mistake with the doors and base, used poplar, wrapped it in a copper edging where it touched the pavers, but it didn't hold up to the weather and rotted out. The doors went as well, even though they were well painted, must be the lip where the stile and the plywood panel intersected caught water.

Anyway, I am planning on rebuilding them with PTW and rough cut the pieces and stickered them about 5 weeks ago. They have been sitting in my screened porch. I just tested with a moisture meter and the it is showing moisture content ranging from 12% (the pieces at the top of the pile that have gotten some sun) to 16% at the bottom. What is the recommended level before I can start milling? These will be hung OUTSIDE so will have constant exposure to weather (and will be painted again).

I am thinking of a shaker type door with relatively wide stiles/rails. I'm thinking 2 1/2" for the tops and sides and 3 1/2 for the bottom. The doors are 17" wide and 28" tall.

I am still going back and forth about the plywood panel. I am planning on sealing the edges with West System Epoxy, but still can't decide if I should let the panel "float" in the groove in the stile/rail. I know that is the way to do it in fine furniture construction, but since I am using a plywood panel -- *(which should be dimensionally stable?) wouldn't I just be better to epoxy the whole thing together and not worry about water rotting out the frame again?

Thanks for your help. Sort of feels like a project juggler here, get part of one job done and then run into a delay/waiting time so I start another one!

All the best for a great New Year.

Jay

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 4:48 PM
Rather than using PT, which can often be "dripping wet"...literally, consider a species that is outdoor friendly, such as white oak (not red oak), mahogany, Ipe, cedar, cypress, etc. Your plywood should be exterior rated so that the proper kind of glue is used...but it still needs painted to protect it. If you want it to be natural, use oil based tint base...dries clear and offers about the best protection you can get outdoors for both moisture and UV.