PDA

View Full Version : DoPa the Translation

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
12-31-2005, 3:11 PM
I finally got the translation my lovely wife did for me of the Japanese DIY magazine article about me and the Dugneon up on my site.

DoPa in English (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/do_pa.htm)

The pics are scans, and they are large files.

Cheers!

Keith Starosta
12-31-2005, 3:53 PM
Pretty cool, Stu!! Looks like somebody is taking notice of all your hard work! Keep it up. You're posts about the dungeon are always fascinating!

- Keith

rick fulton
12-31-2005, 4:18 PM
Stu -

Great article. Obviously done pre-cyclone. The ingenuity involved in setting up your shop is amazing.

Your web site is also very interesting. The DIY store tours with photos and commentary are great. Many stock items at your 'borg' can only be found at specialty stores here; like the large table top sized solid wood slabs.

Thanks for posting the link to your site and congrats on getting published.

rick

Mark Valsi
01-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Do any of you guys know what "DO-Pa" means in polish ???

hind quarters, pronounced DO as in can you do . . .

DUPA !

ouch !:D

Jim O'Dell
01-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Stu, i am amazed everytime I see one of your posts with pictures. It is mind boggling what you can do with limited space, and an unlimited imagination!!
As a side note, I grew up and went to school with a guy that, as of 15 years ago, was teaching english, I believe in Tokyo. Married a Japanese girl (he's 6'3"). I'd ask if you knew him, but....:D .
Keep up the great work. When I find my shop getting a little cramped, I'll bring myself back to your website and walk away whistling. Jim

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, I'm bummed! I'm getting an error on the link that the page cannot be displayed!!!:( :cool:

01-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Well, I'm bummed! I'm getting an error on the link that the page cannot be displayed!!!:( :cool:

I just tired it and it works fine from here....?

DoPa in Japanese English means

"Do it yourself Papa"

Cheers!

Jim Hager
01-01-2006, 1:18 PM
Great stuff there Stu, I noticed that they didn't have the name of the jointer. The green meanie. I don't right now remember how it got that name other than it mashed your finger or something. I remember when you were having that spread done and talked about it on the oak but I never did get to see it. Thanks for posting it here so I got a chance to see it. Didn't you say that they were coming back for more??? Bony

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 1:25 PM
I just tired it and it works fine from here....?

OK. Just hit it again (from a different box) and I'm in! I'll take some time to go through it! Thanks!:) :cool:

01-01-2006, 3:07 PM
Good to hear it is working John, they are LARGE pages, as I put them up there for my family to print out :o

Bony, glad you got to see it, I thought I posted a link to the new English translations on the Oak....?

Been to busy of late, maybe I missed that one.

The Green Meanie decided to slide off one of it's dovetailed ways when I was trying to put it back together, the wheels were blocked, but when I slid that sucker on there, the wheels became unblocked, and the table came sliding back towards me, I scampered out of the way, and the Green Meanie took a bite of my floor......
http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jointer/jointer_bent1.jpg
Not too much damage done, but it made one heck of a "thud" when it hit the floor.

I don't think that "Green Meanie" would translate well....

They came back and took a host of pics of my router table, and then I had to show them how it all worked, cut come simple things for them to photograph, and then taught them how it all works. That mag is due out in Feb.

Cheers!

Pete Harbin
01-01-2006, 5:53 PM
Really cool Stu! That must have been fun for you and your family.

Pete

Marcus Ward
01-01-2006, 6:29 PM
I don't think that "Green Meanie" would translate well....

Maybe kusairo onisama?

I don't know japanese grammar, I'm just guessing here.

Mark Rios
01-01-2006, 7:36 PM
Maybe kusairo onisama?

I don't know japanese grammar, I'm just guessing here.

I think the translation of "Green Meanie" is a little closer to "Godzilla".

01-01-2006, 8:14 PM
I think the translation of "Green Meanie" is a little closer to "Godzilla".

Not bad guys, not bad at all!!:D

Gail O'Rourke
01-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Stu, I love it!! What a great article, I love articles that not only highlight the woodworker but highlight his shop. What great pictures and writing. Too awesome. I would love an autographed copy.....

even if it's a digital one.

Too cool.

John Miliunas
01-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Stu, I love it!! What a great article, I love articles that not only highlight the woodworker but highlight his shop. What great pictures and writing. Too awesome. I would love an autographed copy.....

Too cool.

Yeah, what Gail said!!!:) I'm also still digging my way around the rest of your site. Man, that Honda place looks awesome!!! Makes the borgs around here look kinda' silly!:D :cool:

01-02-2006, 8:03 PM

Too cool.

Thanks very much Gail, it is sometimes good to be the odd man in the society of sameness :rolleyes::D

Sorry, my Dad has the only autographed copy in existence.

Again, thanks all for the kind words!

Cheers!