PDA

View Full Version : Arbor Nut - Jet TS

Vince Shriver
09-04-2020, 1:47 PM
I have a fairly new XACTA table saw that came with an unusually wide (thick) arbor nut - 9/16". As a result, I'm very limited the number of dado blades I can hang on it. The Freud Dial-A-Width set is out of the question. I need a nut that doesn't occupy so much space on the threaded arbor, but I don't think it's something I can just pick up at the hardware store. Any help would be appreciated. Vince

Andy D Jones
09-04-2020, 2:34 PM
If (perhaps a big "if") a thinner nut would safely allow you to use a wide dado stack, then your thick nut, even partially on the shaft, will do as well or better, since it would engage as many, if not more, threads as the thinner nut would.

The question is, would either work safely? What does the manual say regarding maximum width of dado cut? Do not exceed that, thinner nut or not.

Unless there is a clearance issue or something related with the thick nut partially extending off the arbor while operating...

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Mel Fulks
09-04-2020, 2:53 PM
I think there is a clearance issue. I remember grinding down a nut to make it work. That was in an employment and the
boss was all for it. I knew that if I turned a finger ,or two ,to hamburger ....it would probably not sell. So I was real
careful.

Don Coffman
09-05-2020, 8:44 AM
A 9/16" wide nut is large. My 10" Jet Contractor saw has a 5/8-inch diameter arbor and the nut is 5/16-inch across the flats.

Be careful with a replacement nut as the thread appears to be ACME thread and not Unified National as is 95% of what will be found in most hardware store bins.