PDA

View Full Version : Need to preserve some green wood.

Bernie Kopfer
09-03-2020, 7:26 PM
My next door neighbor is having a large (for here in Central Wa) ash tree removed from his back yard this month. The tree has a 15+ inch diameter trunk and about 10 ft to the first major branches. I can have as much as I want. My problem is that I am having shoulder surgery shortly and will not be able to cut the tree into bowl turning blanks for several months. However I can specify the size of the raw pieces so I'm wondering if I should have the trunk cut into nice rounds of various lengths. Then do I just paint the exposed ends with preservative and let them sit in my driveway until I can slice them and get them to the bandsaw? Minimally I could rest them on 2X4s to keep them off the asphalt and gravel. There is no way that I can easily protect them from the overhead elements and we still have 45 days of warm weather. Are they safe to leave this way all winter with rain, snow and cold.?

Ron Borowicz
09-03-2020, 7:38 PM
Is there any way you can have the whole trunk delivered to you and not cut it up? If so, put it on the 2 x 4's you talk about, paint the ends and cover it and let it sit until your shoulder is better. You will have less waste if you can do it this way.

John K Jordan
09-03-2020, 8:50 PM
Is there any way you can have the whole trunk delivered to you and not cut it up? If so, put it on the 2 x 4's you talk about, paint the ends and cover it and let it sit until your shoulder is better. You will have less waste if you can do it this way.

I agree with Ron, get the longest log or logs you can and store off the ground in the shade, seal the ends with anchorseal. If you cut it into chunks it will likely develop end checks on each piece before you get to turning it. If in log form, cut off any checks on the end before cutting a blank for use. The other John Jordan said he doesn't even seal the ends - just cuts off 6" and throws it away to get rid of any checks then cuts off what he needs for turning one piece. The sun will hurt the wood more than the rain. In fact, a good way to store green wood is to immerse it in water - called "ponding". Easier if you have a creek or pond!

JKJ

Bernie Kopfer
09-04-2020, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=John K Jordan;3051450]I agree with Ron, get the longest log or logs you can and store off the ground in the shade, seal the ends with anchorseal. If you cut it into chunks it will likely develop end checks on each piece before you get to turning it. If in log form, cut off any checks on the end before cutting a blank for use. The other John Jordan said he doesn't even seal the ends - just cuts off 6" and throws it away to get rid of any checks then cuts off what he needs for turning one piece. The sun will hurt the wood more than the rain. In fact, a good way to store green wood is to immerse it in water - called "ponding". Easier if you have a creek or pond!"

I hear what is being said. Smaller pieces will each check and result in more lost wood. Will see if I can get them moved to my property in perhaps 4-6 ft lengths.
I am curious as to how theses logs will dry. Will it be uniform or will the 'deeper' wood retain a higher degree of moisture? There is lots to learn in this process of drying. I recently cut up a sycamore log and made a dozen plus bowl blanks. discovered that the pieces coated with anchorseal type of sealant dried much slower than the new PVA based sealant that Craft Supply sells. The best part is that I also discovered that my 14" bandsaw was inadequate for big pieces of log so have a 19" on order. Every project requires a new tool, right?

Reed Gray
09-04-2020, 10:56 AM
I also would try to keep the log whole, or in as long of pieces as you can. Up on 2 by 4s is okay, and on the ground won't hurt either. Keep it in the shade if at all possible. Cover with white tarps, and you can have the tarp on the ground and totally wrap the log. Seal the ends. I have been using titebond 3 on some spindle blanks and that seems to work great.

robo hippy

Ron Borowicz
09-04-2020, 5:40 PM
Bernie, there is absolutely nothing wrong with every project requiring a new tool...some projects may even require more than 1 new tool! Yay!