PDA

View Full Version : 6" reg taper diamond file

Peter Gilbert
09-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Hello,

I have a Foley automatic saw sharpener. It can sharpen hand saws and circular saw blades.

Does anyone have a source for 6" reg taper diamond files? I have one that came in the machine but it is not a diamond file. I need it to sharpen modern carbide circular saw blades. I use japonese water stones or silicon carbide wheels to deal with hard steels but they don't work in the Foley.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter
www.verysharp.ca (http://www.verysharp.ca)

Eric Danstrom
09-03-2020, 1:42 PM
Foley (and later on Foley-Belsaw) Saw Filers are for steel toothed hand saws and circular saws. To sharpen carbide circular saws you'll need a grinder sharpener. There are plenty of Foley Circular saw grinders that will do what you want, has to be a grinder, not a filer.

Another option for carbide circular saws is the Harbor Freight unit that gets surprisingly good reviews with low cost. I wouldn't use it on a $100 saw blade but for cheaper blades and 7 1/2" blades it probably pays for itself.

For my precision 10" cabinet saw blades I use Woodcraft's sharpening person. The cost of owning a rig that can do a good job on a precision saw blades is in the several thousands of dollar range. The grinding wheels probably cost more than a good saw blade.

Peter Gilbert
09-03-2020, 5:17 PM
thank you for that information.

again, I ask, is anyone aware of a source for a 6" regular taper diamond file?

Thanks,
Peter

Rick Whitehead
09-03-2020, 11:46 PM
I had to look that up. I have never seen a diamond taper saw file. And I couldn't find one with a quick Google search.
I don't have a source for you, but I wanted to tell you that there is a Facebook group devoted to Foley saw filers. I am a member, and there are some very knowledgeable people there.
Sorry I couldn't help you with the file.
Rick