PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 2006 "phone book" is out...

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 2:09 PM
Shiraz's annual "big book" is arriving in mailboxes "as we speak"...I just got out the loader to bring it up from the mailbox down by the road... :D

Gregg Mason
12-31-2005, 2:13 PM
I hope mine's in the box when I get home.

Frank Pellow
12-31-2005, 2:24 PM
I would like to see one but, unfortunately, Grizzly does not ship to Canada.

Keith Outten
12-31-2005, 4:32 PM
Listen Up Folks,

Anyone who gets an extra Grizzly catalog please ship it to Frank Pellow. I'm sure he will provide the shipping address via Private Message.

Frank, I'll bet you get that catalog :)

Frank Pellow
12-31-2005, 4:56 PM
Listen Up Folks,

Anyone who gets an extra Grizzly catalog please ship it to Frank Pellow. I'm sure he will provide the shipping address via Private Message.

Frank, I'll bet you get that catalog :)
Thanks Keith. Yes I would be happy to provide my address and even pay the postage (for one catalogue). I know that I can't buy Grizzly stuff in Canada, but it is still good to know what they are selling.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2005, 5:00 PM
I know that I can't buy Grizzly stuff in Canada, but it is still good to know what they are selling.

I'd bet if there was something you really wanted, someone across the border could arrange to take delivery for you.

Richard Wolf
12-31-2005, 5:00 PM
So those that have the new catolog, what's the hot new items??

Richard

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 5:18 PM
So those that have the new catolog, what's the hot new items??

Still browsing, but Shiraz's curly koa/maple solid-body on the inside of the front cover is divine... :)

Shiraz Balolia
12-31-2005, 5:28 PM
Shiraz's annual "big book" is arriving in mailboxes "as we speak"...I just got out the loader to bring it up from the mailbox down by the road... :D

LOL! and thanks for your comment about my curly maple/koa guitar.

Frank - PM me your address and I'll send you one next week.

Mark Rios
12-31-2005, 5:38 PM
Those who have the new catalog, Are the new Bandsaws and Jointers in there? Would you mind giving us the skinny?

I have 9 hours, 23 minutes and 34 seconds to wait till the Grizzly website gets updated. 21,20,19,18.......................

Gregg Mason
12-31-2005, 5:49 PM
I'm bummed, I didn't get one today. :(

Frank Pellow
12-31-2005, 5:58 PM
Thanks, will do. :)

Shiraz, while I have your attention maybe you will tell me why you don't sell into Canada. :confused:

Matt Meiser
12-31-2005, 6:02 PM
Hey I didn't get mine, at least that's what SWMBO says anyway....

Cecil Arnold
12-31-2005, 6:17 PM
I don't know Matt, maybe she's hiding it? I didn't get mine either so there's still hope.

Bill Simmeth
12-31-2005, 6:24 PM
Well, more to my liking, my copy of the 1910 Defiance catalog arrived the other day from South Africa. :p Approximately 450 pages of classic U.S.-made machine engravings. :D

Thanks Keith. Yes I would be happy to provide my address and even pay the postage (for one catalogue).If they waste the postage on sending me another one this year, you can have mine... :rolleyes:

Dev Emch
12-31-2005, 7:33 PM
Well, more to my liking, my copy of the 1910 Defiance catalog arrived the other day from South Africa. :p Approximately 450 pages of classic U.S.-made machine engravings. :D

If they waste the postage on sending me another one this year, you can have mine... :rolleyes:

Bill...

How do you know its 1910? I have one also and its listed as Catalogue #200. I know its old. First of all, its a hardback book with red ink on the edges of the paper and a black field on the outside. The writing is embossed gold. Tons of engravings and good photos of the machine shop and foundary. But get this. There is a photo showing the presidents office, the treasure's office, the secretary's office, the bookkeeping department and the private dressing room in the engineering department. Then onto the foundary, the planer room, the lathe and milling department and the gear cutting department. And then tons of woodworking machines albeit some are strange..... Defiance specialized in making machines that make wheels. Wheels for horse drawn wagons and later on, some of the early automobiles. Amazing how many machine designs they came up with..... AND WITHOUT NO FREAKIN COMPUTER CAD OR CNC JUNK! All by hand using mind, pencils, paper and skill.

You guys sound like my grandpa when the sears robuck catalog arrived. Few of these ever survived because once you were done with the catalog, it saw secondary service in the room with a door with a half moon cut into it.:D

David Fried
12-31-2005, 7:43 PM
You guys sound like my grandpa when the sears robuck catalog arrived. :D

I was thinking the same thing! Funny, mine ends up in the "library" but gets read and read and read ...

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 8:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing! Funny, mine ends up in the "library" but gets read and read and read ...

Whether or not you are a customer, there is so much stuff in that book, that it's perfect for "ncidental library reading" for many, many months!

Dev Emch
12-31-2005, 8:22 PM
Whether or not you are a customer, there is so much stuff in that book, that it's perfect for "ncidental library reading" for many, many months!

True, but my grandpa never read the catalogs in the libary.......;):D;) They just got thinner and thinner.;)

Bill Simmeth
12-31-2005, 8:33 PM
How do you know its 1910? I have one also and its listed as Catalogue #200.It has a handwritten inscription dated in 1910... It's also a #200.

There is a photo showing the presidents office, the treasure's office, the secretary's office, the bookkeeping department and the private dressing room in the engineering department.Isn't that a hoot! I think the treasurer's office could use a little more decoration. Maybe Shiraz ought to include his office in next year's phone book...

Keith Outten
12-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Well I didn't receive my catalog either, they must have been shipped in alphabetical order.

Rob Will
01-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I would like to see one but, unfortunately, Grizzly does not ship to Canada.

Frank, have you ever heard a good reason why Griz does not ship to Canada?

Just wondering,
Rob

Frank Pellow
01-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Frank, have you ever heard a good reason why Griz does not ship to Canada?

Just wondering,
Rob
I have heard rumours that Grizzly has a gentlemans "I won't infringe on your territory" agreement with some Canadian rebrander of import tools such as King Canada or Busy Bee. But, nothing has ever been confirmed, so I have no idea whether or not this is true.

Dev Emch
01-01-2006, 2:31 AM
Hmmm, so grizz is local. Well i bought some general machines from Ashman Technical and picked them up at the General factory. No Worries. Just had to stop at the bonded warehouse and sign some docs so that Ashman could recover some kind of tax. Didnt cost me a dime. I went through the Lake Champlain port and it was a hoot. In the corner was a US made amored personal carrier with 6 huge rubber tires all decked out in desert camo. All the writing on the machine was in arabic however. You know, stuff like Diesel Only over the gas cap and what not. It was sitting on a semi lowboy with no tractor. I asked the guy what the story was and he replied that some business man was trying to sell illegal APCs to some desert country. I will bet it was either Syira or Iraq (Old Sadum was still head cheese back then). So the idea was to truck these things north through the border and then load them onto a ship for europe and then onto another one to the middle east. The fellow there said that he does not recall any european countries using arabic so that is what tipped him off. One would think that you should *NOT* affix the arabic stickers until you get the cash in Geneva and the toy in the sand.

Grizzly imports a mountain of stuff and I doubt that anyone in Canada is that well established. So would it be illegal for you to get one of us to buy it for you and then you can hop the windsor span and pick it up or vice versa?

Michael Charles
01-01-2006, 6:19 AM
I guess I am going to have to go to their web site to order one of these books to see what all this fuss is over. I am new to all this and until just recently, I had never heard of Grizzly. All I new were Delta, Craftsman, Rigid, among a few others. I just ordered the catalog. Hopefully it will be here within the next couple weeks.

Frank Pellow
01-01-2006, 6:31 AM
Michael, since you are learning about power tools by ordering catalogues, you should order one from these guys: http://www.festoolusa.com/.

If you also want a good place to get hand tools and hardware, order at catalogue from: http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx?c=2

Frank Pellow
01-01-2006, 6:41 AM
So would it be illegal for you to get one of us to buy it for you and then you can hop the windsor span and pick it up or vice versa?
I doubt very much that it would be illegal. But, I would not be surprised if importing the tool into Canada voided the warrenty on that tool. Also, unlike your experience going the other way with General, I would have to pay a big chunk of duty as well as both Canadian federal and Ontario provincial taxes.

Michael Charles
01-01-2006, 6:43 AM
Frank,

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered those catalogs also. LOML is going to kill me when she sees all these and the wish list I will make from them.

John Bailey
01-01-2006, 9:17 AM
Michael,

Some of the best advice at the Creek has been how to successfully buy tools and stay married. The last one I recall had to do with buying a vacum cleaner for an anniversary gift. We all thought we were going to have to attend a funeral on that one. But with the advice from this site, the situation was turned around into a winner.:D

Stay tuned, there be more on this subject and you're ahead of the game by knowing what LOML means. It took me about 6 months.

John

Rod Upfold
01-01-2006, 9:27 AM
I would love to have Grizzly book in hand also...wonder why he won't send or sell equipment to Canadians...we send a old grey haired guy with a bunch of reindeer south every year...

Jim Becker
01-01-2006, 10:55 AM
...we send a old grey haired guy with a bunch of reindeer south every year...

I thought that was Finland with that contribution to society... :)

Frank Pellow
01-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I thought that was Finland with that contribution to society... :)
Jim, I think you are right. The guy uses reindeer, not caribou. ;)

Marc Langille
01-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I hope the catalog shows up soon... hopefully there's a table saw and planer/jointer in my future, and I am curious what's new...:D

Michael Dodd
01-01-2006, 1:12 PM
I received my catalog yesterday- I could of things I noticed:
It looks like prices have gone up on stationary power tools
The 6" jointer with the bolt-together stand isn't in there, it seems to have been replaced by the G0452. which has a slightly smaller table, integrated mobile base, DC port and the switch is on a post instead of the side of the unit. Also, the infeed table uses a lever, the outfeed table uses a handwheel. One of the folks in the showroom told me it the old one came from Taiwan, this one comes from China. It looks like they may have added/replaced a couple of their jointers this way.

Looks like they've added a 12" drum sander

Looks like they now have a selection of woodworkers benches

The first item in the catalog is a new tenoning jig

There's a 10" hybrid cabinet saw that's new

That's all I an see with a quick flip through the catalog- I'm sure there's more

Dev Emch
01-01-2006, 4:21 PM
I guess I am going to have to go to their web site to order one of these books to see what all this fuss is over. I am new to all this and until just recently, I had never heard of Grizzly. All I new were Delta, Craftsman, Rigid, among a few others. I just ordered the catalog. Hopefully it will be here within the next couple weeks.

Not me. I have already purchased plenty of Kimberly-Clark products for a while.

Shiraz Balolia
01-01-2006, 5:31 PM

Dev - some of your posts on motors are very informative and show a high level of knowledge in that area. Unfortunately, it is comments such as these that reveal more about you than those posts!

Richard Wolf
01-01-2006, 8:07 PM
Dev - some of your posts on motors are very informative and show a high level of knowledge in that area. Unfortunately, it is comments such as these that reveal more about you than those posts!

LOL, no comment nessesary.

Richard

Marcus Ward
01-01-2006, 9:00 PM

Kimberly Clark makes Depends Adult Diapers.

Dev Emch
01-01-2006, 9:45 PM
Kimberly Clark makes Depends Adult Diapers.
Really! I thought they made newsprint for catalogs.;) Dont need any of those just yet.

Frank Pellow
01-12-2006, 8:29 PM
Thanks Shiraz, the catalogue came today. It's size really does rival most phone books, doesn't it? I had no idea that Grizzly sold so much.

Marcus Ward
01-12-2006, 8:42 PM
Thanks Shiraz, the catalogue came today. It's size really does rival most phone books, doesn't it? I had no idea that Grizzly sold so much.

And asks oh, so little. :D

Joe Mioux
01-12-2006, 9:17 PM
I am still waiting for mine.......:(

Joe

Matt Meiser
01-12-2006, 9:23 PM
I am still waiting for mine.......:(

Joe

Me too. Maybe they skipped the M's?

Frank Pellow
01-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Earlier in this thread I mentioned that Grizzly does not ship to Canada. After that, I received a couple of private (but unofficial) notes saying that the reason for this is an agreement with Busy Bee Tools (busybeetools.com) not to sell into each other's country. Furthermore, the notes claim that the founder of Busy Bee Tools is Shiraz Balolia's brother. I tried to check this information of the Busy Bee web site but could find no mention of the founder or owners of Busy Bee. So, for me, this remains just a rumour.

Busy Bee's house brand is Craftex.

By coincidence, a Busy Bee catalogue also arrived in the mail today. It is 32 pages long whereas the Grizzly catalogue that arrived today is 602 pages long.

Keith Outten
01-12-2006, 11:36 PM
I haven't received my new Grizzly catalog yet.

Mark Rios
01-12-2006, 11:41 PM

Me Either. Hmmmmmmm.

Scott Donley
01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Me Either. Hmmmmmmm.Me either, must be shipping mine from China :)

Roger Myers
01-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Earlier in this thread I mentioned that Grizzly does not ship to Canada. After that, I received a couple of private (but unofficial) notes saying that the reason for this is an agreement with Busy Bee Tools (busybeetools.com) not to sell into each other's country. Furthermore, the notes claim that the founder of Busy Bee Tools is Shiraz Balolia's brother. I tried to check this information of the Busy Bee web site but could find no mention of the founder or owners of Busy Bee. So, for me, this remains just a rumour.

Busy Bee's house brand is Craftex.

By coincidence, a Busy Bee catalogue also arrived in the mail today. It is 32 pages long whereas the Grizzly catalogue that arrived today is 602 pages long.

Frank, an article I found via google supports the claim that a Balolia owns or owned Busy Bee
http://www.villacharities.com/newsletter/archive/Summer2002/news_main.asp?View=12

Erik Rudd
01-13-2006, 12:13 AM
I believe that Shiraz immigrated to Canada prior to immigrating to the US.

Dev Emch
01-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Frank, an article I found via google supports the claim that a Balolia owns or owned Busy Bee
http://www.villacharities.com/newsletter/archive/Summer2002/news_main.asp?View=12

Do you easterners remember an electronics store called Crazy Eddies? Esp those from the apple.

Frank Pellow
01-13-2006, 6:53 AM
Thanks for doing the research Roger. Mine turned up nothing, but seeing the results of yours, I will consider the Busy Bee - Grizzly family link to be a fact rather than a rumour.

Marvin Keys
01-13-2006, 9:44 AM
According to the Canadian Federal Business Registration database, Anil Balolia is the President of Busy Bee Machine Tools, Ltd., Busy Bee Machine Tools Canada, Ltd. and Busy Bee Imports, Ltd.

As to whether Anil is related to Shiraz, I would venture a guess that they are.

The following is an excerpt from an article in the Bellingham Business Journal, which indicates he previously did business in Canada:

When Shiraz Balolia owned a tool store in Canada during the early 1980s, he liked to ponder the idea of operating a business in the United States.
"As soon as I crossed the border (into the United States), I was always struck by the fact that everyone is so friendly," Balolia said. "To me, even the grass looked greener."
A self-described "compulsive capitalist," Balolia decided to venture into the wholesale business in 1983, after a wholesaler told him he wouldn't do business with Balolia anymore. Balolia later found out why: it was because he was selling the products too cheaply, and this had been upsetting the wholesalers' other buyers. Balolia then moved across the border, founding Grizzly Industrial Inc. in Bellingham.

Shiraz Balolia
01-13-2006, 10:34 AM

For those people that have bought from us in the last 12 months and have not received their catalogs yet, you may go ahead and send me a PM with your full name and address and I'll make sure one gets out to you. We have found that in some parts of the country, the catalogs were delayed a little and people have been getting them this week. You may want to wait till Monday before contacting me.
For others that haven't bought anything in the last 12 months or previously, you may go online http://www.grizzly.com/catalog_requests.aspx This link also allows you to view the catalog online, page by page.
You may also call us at 1-800-523-4777 to get on the mailing list. The catalogs will be sent out to you from the bulk mail center.
Thanks for the interest.

Mark Rios
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I went to the website to order mine around the 1st or the 2nd. I wonder how long it takes for them to get shipped out. Bulk mail probably takes a little longer I guess. Oooooooohhhhhhhh.....I can't wait. :D :D :D

Shiraz Balolia
01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
I went to the website to order mine around the 1st or the 2nd. I wonder how long it takes for them to get shipped out. Bulk mail probably takes a little longer I guess. Oooooooohhhhhhhh.....I can't wait. :D :D :D

We submit names daily, the bulk mail place gets them out in 3 days and then it's in the hands of the postal system.

Steve Clardy
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Got mine last week sometime.

Marcus Ward
01-13-2006, 10:16 PM
I drove to the Grizzly showroom in Springfield today and picked up a couple.

And I don't want to brag or gloat because I think that's bad but I bought a lot of really cool stuff. My shop runneth over.

http://www.marcusward.com/images/?displaypic=mailbox%2FImage020.jpg&non_lr=

Fred Voorhees
01-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Do you easterners remember an electronics store called Crazy Eddies? Esp those from the apple.

Yeah, I remember. Seems to me that the guy got into some kind of trouble running afoul of the law. I do remember that the guy who actually did the commercials wasn't actually "Eddie", but a lot of people thought that he was.