PDA

View Full Version : The Engravers Journal - Subscription Worth It?

Joe Adams
09-02-2020, 6:29 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should get a subscription to The Engravers Journal.

I'm new to laser engraving and trying to start a business using my Speedy 300.

I've seen this magazine referenced here but hesitated at the $55 annual rate.

Do you think this would be a valuable learning tool and/or resource for me?

How many of you are subscribers?

Thanks!

Joe

Mike Null
09-02-2020, 7:42 PM
No! All of the print mags are going the way of the newspaper and ww mags. Besides, the content sucks.

Kev Williams
09-02-2020, 8:24 PM
What Mike said ;)

David Takes
09-02-2020, 10:36 PM
I would apply that $55 toward a membership to the Awards and Personalization Association. Part of that membership is a free subscription their trade magazine plus so much more. I've been a member for 20 years, starting my business at the exact point you find yourself. It's the best money I ever spent.

John Lifer
09-03-2020, 8:52 AM
You CAN get a partial free subscription to this mag. I see once in a while an article that is worth reading for real content. Otherwise what everyone else said.
I would spend the $55 on something you can really use.

And you CAN get a free subscription (if you have a business at all) to most good trade magazines. None really teach laser engraving. Just can't do it in this day and age.
You REALLY want to wait 30 days between magazines to just SEE if they might publish what you MIGHT can learn anything from. The Best thing these things do is to give you POSSIBLE trends and products.

Tony Lenkic
09-03-2020, 10:57 AM
If you prefer to receive printed copy of EJ in the mail requires subscription otherwise just go to EJ web site and read it all for free.
There are some articles that can be very useful for novice such as Corel Draw how to by Mike Clarke.

Joe Adams
09-03-2020, 11:13 AM
You guys are great. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have let most of my woodworking magazine subscriptions expire because I just wasn't reading them anymore. Less and less useful content (at least to me) and not enough free time to just sit down and go through them.

I thought this might be a good resource for a beginner but I think I'll just monitor their website for articles that interest me.

I will definitely look into the Awards and Personalization Association.

Many thanks!

Joe

Kev Williams
09-03-2020, 12:48 PM
You're AT the best resource :D

FWIW we received the EJ from their very first issue and it just came here for years. I read a few articles after we got our first C2000 CNC engraver in '81, but it was never much help since it -has always- focused on the awards/recognition industry and we were focused on just plain 'industry', engraving injection molds, computer keycaps, operator panels and backlit pushbutton switches, etc. The mag was good for learning marketing tricks and product ideas, but as a 'learning to engrave' tool, not so much IMO...