PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quieter Kitchen blender.

Bruce Page
09-02-2020, 2:48 PM
We have a Kitchen Aid blender that works well enough but is painfully loud. I get 111 dB reading per the app on my phone when LOML makes her daily veggie smoothie.
Are they’re quieter options?

Doug Garson
09-02-2020, 3:22 PM
You could make a plexiglass enclosure for your existing blender to reduce the noise. Maybe make a cheap plywood or MDF mockup first to assess effectiveness. I see a lot of the smoothee shops in the malls have enclosures, not sure if it is for sound attenuation.

Peter Kelly
09-02-2020, 3:39 PM
Blendtec Pro with the noise shield is super quiet, works amazingly well and is Made in USA. Will set you back $800 clams tho.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LADQ83O/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Mike Henderson
09-02-2020, 4:48 PM
An immersion blender will be quieter but may not work for smoothies. For blending while cooking they're great.

Mike

Thomas McCurnin
09-02-2020, 7:03 PM
Not an Oster. Works great but is loud. As suggested, most ice cream shops use an enclosure for safety and noise

Tyler Bancroft
09-02-2020, 8:08 PM
Use an immersion blender and blend in a cup/jar. Way quieter.

Kev Williams
09-02-2020, 8:48 PM
For quieting a blender 2-3 minutes a day, how about earplugs? ;)

Peter Kelly
09-02-2020, 9:03 PM
Immersion blender won't work with ice cubes in the smoothie. Great thing to have otherwise.

Frank Pratt
09-02-2020, 11:59 PM
I have a Vitamix and on high it's quite loud, but if it's just turned to the power level of your average kitchen blender, then it's pretty quiet. It's a very powerful blender.

Jim Becker
09-03-2020, 9:40 AM
Noise is the nature of the beast here, especially when grinding ice for a smoothie. Fortunately, it's noise of very short duration. Both the ancient 1980s blender we have and the NutriBullet that our daughter has hold equal high noise levels in use for this purpose. They are about the same noise level as my coffee grinder that gets used every morning. :)

Andrew Hughes
09-03-2020, 10:13 AM
We bought the Ninja blender from Costco it’s very fast. It doesn’t seem to be as loud as the kitchen aid was but my hearing might be failing.
Its been going strong for about a year.

Ted Calver
09-03-2020, 10:56 AM
My daughter bought me the Ninja for my birthday last year when we had a 30% coupon at Kohl's. It came with several different size containers and I really like it...much better than the old Oster that now lives in the attic. Never measured the decibel level, but it's certainly bearable for the time it takes to make a smoothie. It even has a smoothie cycle button. I also have the NutriBullet. It does the job as well, but it came with a caution not to blend hot liquids or the container might burst. I really wanted it to do hot chocolate and coffee so it now lives in the attic too. No problem doing hot (IIRC less than 180F) liquids in the Ninja.

Mel Fulks
09-03-2020, 12:01 PM
It would be easy to make an enclosure out of "mass loaded vinyl", or wood covered with it.

Roger Feeley
09-03-2020, 12:25 PM
Smoothie king mounts their vita mix blenders so the motor is under the cabinet. Then at least they can hear the customers.
we have a kitchen aide blender also. I wonder if the glass vessel makes more noise?

Bruce Page
09-03-2020, 12:37 PM
It might seem a silly reason to replace a functioning blender but 111 dB is very close to permanent hearing damage levels. The older I get, the more protective I am of what I have left. Anyone with 24/7 tinnitus knows what I’m talking about, or should.

Thanks for the info. I’m looking at this one. It’s a little on the small side: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H4WN7EW/?tag=wpa0038-20&th=1

mike stenson
09-03-2020, 12:59 PM
We bought the Ninja blender from Costco it’s very fast. It doesn’t seem to be as loud as the kitchen aid was but my hearing might be failing.
Its been going strong for about a year.

We have one of those. It's a significant improvement over the Hamilton Beach it replaced. But I do not know how relatively 'quiet' it is

Roger Feeley
09-04-2020, 5:33 PM
I found a list of quiet blenders on a clickbait site. All of those appeared to have some outer shell to absorb some sound. I noticed the Vitamix blender I often see in smoothie shops was there and was by far the most convenient as long as you have room to open and close the cover. The other seemed to have some sort of outer jar that you would invert over the blender vessel. Again, it would need headroom.

maybe you should consider a countertop “garage” to match the cabinetry.