PDA

View Full Version : dj30 jointer trouble

Billy Stray
09-01-2020, 10:18 PM
I've recently bought a used dj30 jointer and can't seem to get the outfeed bed to move up & down more than 1/8 total travel, has anyone ever heard of this ?
I've already fixed a bent lever , it helped a little.
its petty much impossible to set the knives.

Mel Fulks
09-02-2020, 1:17 AM
Is there a bolt at opposite end of the lever that limits travel? Try moving that.

Phil Gaudio
09-02-2020, 7:54 AM
If its anything like the DJ-20, there are stop bolts that limit up/down travel. These are easily accessible on the rear of the unit.

glenn bradley
09-02-2020, 8:55 AM
Phil beat me to it. Check the travel stops.

Billy Stray
09-02-2020, 7:45 PM
the only screws resembling a stop is on the sides infeed & outfeed, the guy who owned this before me clearly got irritated by this also hence the bent lever , fixing that was no small task...

Kevin Jenness
09-02-2020, 7:48 PM
Why do you need to move the outfeed table more than 1/8"? Is it that far out of level with the knives? Is it difficult to set the knives because of the limited travel or some other reason?

Here is a link to the manual https://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Jointer-Owners-manuals/37-360.pdf

Billy Stray
09-02-2020, 8:05 PM
at full height it feels like im burying the knives to far into the cutterhead. if im starting from scratch i like to raise the bed up all the way then give it a tap down so i have a little play in either direction. at that height its barely above the cutterhead?
ive been using the same powermatic jointer for almost 20 years, it has about 5/8 of travel, maybe its just a familiarity thing ?

glenn bradley
09-02-2020, 8:08 PM
Are you saying you do not have the travel stop bolts on the rear of the machine as shown in the pictures?

Phil Gaudio
09-02-2020, 8:13 PM
Here is link to DJ-30 manual: See figure 31 on page 16.
https://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Jointer-Owners-manuals/37-360.pdf

Kevin Jenness
09-02-2020, 8:48 PM
The manual calls for the outfeed table to be only .015" above the cutterhead (p. 21). That probably will put the back of the knife bevel below the cutterhead surface which may seem unfamiliar, but that's the factory setting.

Billy Stray
09-02-2020, 9:26 PM
im not sure i took the back apart and didn't see anything except for whats on the side
ill look again tomorrow

Richard Coers
09-02-2020, 9:39 PM
im not sure i took the back apart and didn't see anything except for whats on the side
ill look again tomorrow
Nothing to take apart to see those travel limiting bolts. They are out in the open. One on each side of the pivot shaft. Look at image 31 on page 16. Only reason you couldn't see them is if someone twisted them off and there are pieces still stuck in the tapped holes.

Billy Stray
09-03-2020, 8:49 PM
no ive seen them on the side, i guess on his dj20 theyre on the back, I've had the rear bed pin pulled and the back apart to fix the bent lever, I've had the screws on the side backed out they didn't help, as soon as i get back to it im gonna just set the rear bed the required amount according to the manual and make it happen, apparently I'm just so used to my old powermatic i was expecting it to be more similar.
i almost said to heck with it and bought a bird head but got side tracked by a good deal on a used 3hp laguna dust collector...bigger machines bigger dust collector
thanks to all for the help
nice group of guys 👍