PDA

View Full Version : PM3520C VFD fan?

Bill Schulz
09-01-2020, 12:12 PM
The VFD fan on my PM3520C is annoying to my ears as it keeps on running after the lathe stops. It's apparently set to cycle with temperature control as it doesn't start immediately. Since the VFD doesn't have a keypad included I can't actually check the parameter for fan control. I would prefer that the fan only runs when the lathe runs.
My questions:
1. If you have a PM3520C does your fan operate similar to what I described?
2. Has anyone acquired a keypad for the VFD?

Thanks for your input.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Bill, if the fan runs based on the temperature of the VFD circuit board, you could shorten the VFD's life by bypassing this safety measure.

Robert Hayward
09-01-2020, 1:03 PM
I have a VFD on a jointer that runs that way. The internal fan runs until the circuit board goes under a certain temperature. Is not programmable according to the manual that came with the VFD.

Brice Rogers
09-01-2020, 3:32 PM
I have a Grizzly G0766 and it uses the same mfr. controller board. The fan comes on when I turn the lathe on and it stays on continuously. It doesn't bother me a bit. The fan apparently runs off of DC. There must be a big capacitor on the DC line, because if I unplug the lathe from the mains power, the fan continues to run for perhaps 15 to 30 seconds.

Yeah, heat is the bane of electronics. You want to keep the electronics cool to get the longest life out of it.

Bill Schulz
09-02-2020, 1:45 AM
Bill, if the fan runs based on the temperature of the VFD circuit board, you could shorten the VFD's life by bypassing this safety measure.
My 6 year old Jet 1642 VFD shot craps a couple of months ago. I replaced it with a Delta VFD NOT from Jet. In doing the programming with the included keypad I could set the fan to run continuously, or cycle with power button, or temperature control which was not allowed. There is no keypad on the VFD for the PM3520C so there is no option to change anything. Support informed me the reason is a liability issue on PM's part. Changing some of the parameters could damage the motor and the company doesn't want to argue about replacement. Make sense to me.

So the fan whines and even though my wife tells me I'm partially deaf I still find the darn thing annoying. Eventually I'll get used to it I suppose. It's a really fine lathe and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Thanks of the responses.