PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Gate hardware?

Andrew Wayland
09-01-2020, 7:50 AM
Adding a front porch to our home, and I’m looking to add some access doors underneath for storage. I’m using 1x4 for the skirting, which I’ll also use to make a concealed door.

Are there any readily available hinge/latch options that would allow the door to swing outward without being visible from the outside?

Or am I better off just making a removable panel (instead of swinging door)?

Dave Sabo
09-01-2020, 8:54 AM
This is what you want :
https://www.stainlessdoorhardware.com/tectus_te-340/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7LOW0__H6wIVlJOzCh24CAytEAAYASA AEgLX2fD_BwE

I’d exercise caution about totally enclosing the porch underside though. You’re likely to have all kinds of moisture related issues.

Andrew Wayland
09-01-2020, 9:54 AM
This is what you want :
https://www.stainlessdoorhardware.com/tectus_te-340/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7LOW0__H6wIVlJOzCh24CAytEAAYASA AEgLX2fD_BwE

I’d exercise caution about totally enclosing the porch underside though. You’re likely to have all kinds of moisture related issues.

Woof. At that cost, I’ll just make it a removable panel!

It wont be completely enclosed: I was thinking 1x4 PVC with 1/2” gaps between the boards

Charles Lent
09-01-2020, 11:08 AM
If you used a standard door hinge, maybe made of solid brass and mortised into the frame as well as the door, and then you added trim like a lattice to the outside of the wall and the door, you could make the hinge nearly invisible without spending a fortune on the hinges. Get the brass or galvanized ones and they will be less likely to rust. A careful choice of the latch, and the door would be "nearly invisible" for much less money. Long barn strap hinges with the long tongues hidden behind the lattice would also be nearly invisible. It's all in how you go about concealing the hinges. Only the barrel part of the hinge will show if you go about it right. Add some matching paint and it won't be noticed at all, unless up close and looking for them. Hinging inward could make them nearly totally invisible, but you wanted to swing the door outward. Long narrow vertical boards spaced apart would make the wall and door look "board and batten" like the old barn siding, and this could be used to help hide the hinge and latch points very well. Even the gaps along both sides of the doorway could be hidden this way.

The SOSS type hinges, like suggested above, would be very invisible, and are stainless so not likely to rust or corrode, but they are not very budget friendly. Other hinges of this design can be found, but rust and corrosion when used outdoors would render them useless within just a few years.

Charley

Stewart Lang
09-01-2020, 12:23 PM
SOSS Hinges are really quite amazing and well-built. Definitely worth the cost in my book. Spend the money, do it right the first time and you'll be happy. A door is only has useful as the hinges that support it.

Andrew Wayland
09-01-2020, 1:58 PM
SOSS Hinges are really quite amazing and well-built. Definitely worth the cost in my book. Spend the money, do it right the first time and you'll be happy. A door is only has useful as the hinges that support it.

I would generally agree, but at $100-150 per stainless steel hinge: I’d rather skip the hinge idea altogether. If I wanted 2 doors, I’d be spending a minimum of $400 in hinges (more likely $600... PVC is heavy, so I’d likely need 3/door I bet).

Again, this is for a storage area under a porch. I doubt I’d be accessing it more than a few times per month on average...

Jim Becker
09-01-2020, 2:35 PM
Cheapest latch would be...screws. And you can use less expensive hinges for this application as long as they are properly painted or galvanized.

Dave Sabo
09-01-2020, 5:01 PM
I’m must say I’m a bit surprised Andrew.

You asked for something that’s not a mainstream design, weatherproof , and will support a lot of weight; then balk at the cost ? Have you priced stainless anything lately ? A reg. ol’ door hinge is gonna cost you $20 bucks. and a piano hinge closer to $40.

A stainless Soss hinges is going to be real close in price to the Tectus , and it won’t have the adjustability or carry the load.

Curious if you’d share how much you were expecting to pay for what you asked ?

Bill Dufour
09-02-2020, 4:27 PM
The local dollar store used to have stainless door hinges with screws. Made in China so I do not know how stainless they really are. Many on ebay for sale
Bill D

Mark Bolton
09-02-2020, 4:50 PM
Oh my.. I thought I'd seen it all until I saw a set of SOSS hinges recommended for porch underpinning access. Good lord. Your best low ball shot is make an attempt to incorporate some SS concealed hinges from either Sugatsune or Amazon. Realize the Amazons are dirt cheap (beware). But those two options could easily be workable for $10 bucks a pair or so. I wouldnt try to hold any tight tolerances (more based on your application and material).

Here is the Sugatsune option. Making the underpinning out of 1x4 if your using half laps with a little bit of planning would work. Only you can decide if its worth it to you but these sure beat any SOSS option.

https://www.sugatsune.com/product/s-s-hinge19mm-free-swing/

Mark Bolton
09-02-2020, 4:53 PM
will support a lot of weight; then balk at the cost ?

Where did you see "lots of weight"? I assumed he was talking about some small-ish, light weight, access doors? Are these like 130lb full size passage doors? The qualifier of the underpinning being out of "1x4's" doesnt seem to me to speak to trying to swing a sherman tank.

Andrew Wayland
09-02-2020, 10:01 PM
I’m must say I’m a bit surprised Andrew.

You asked for something that’s not a mainstream design, weatherproof , and will support a lot of weight; then balk at the cost ? Have you priced stainless anything lately ? A reg. ol’ door hinge is gonna cost you $20 bucks. and a piano hinge closer to $40.

A stainless Soss hinges is going to be real close in price to the Tectus , and it won’t have the adjustability or carry the load.

Curious if you’d share how much you were expecting to pay for what you asked ?

I can appreciate that the hinges you offered are unique offerings, but I’ve also known this forum to have creative suggestions around various problems.

Sorry if my reply offended you in any way, but the shock of the price fueled my response. I appreciate your contribution: but they just eat up too much of the budget to justify.

I’ll say: I didn’t have any real price in mind when I posted originally; but at this point it seems that I should be researching creative ways to frame the door to be more of an access panel, or just swallow my pride and build it with exposed hinges.

Dave Sabo
09-02-2020, 10:04 PM
Where did you see "lots of weight"? I assumed he was talking about some small-ish, light weight, access doors? Are these like 130lb full size passage doors? The qualifier of the underpinning being out of "1x4's" doesnt seem to me to speak to trying to swing a sherman tank.

From the horse's mouth:

Andrew said -
(more likely $600... PVC is heavy, so I’d likely need 3/door I bet).

Jim Becker
09-03-2020, 9:37 AM
You could always set it up as a lift-out panel, using a variation of a French cleat at the top and bottom corners. No hinges required. Lift it slightly to remove and then replace in a similar manner once you're done crawling in the dirt. :) :D

Andrew Wayland
09-03-2020, 10:14 AM
You could always set it up as a lift-out panel, using a variation of a French cleat at the top and bottom corners. No hinges required. Lift it slightly to remove and then replace in a similar manner once you're done crawling in the dirt. :) :D

I was thinking along the same lines, Jim. Perhaps a cleat/bracket of some sort at the bottom, then I was thinking a spring-loaded pin at the top to secure it in.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-03-2020, 2:35 PM
I would generally agree, but at $100-150 per stainless steel hinge: I’d rather skip the hinge idea altogether. If I wanted 2 doors, I’d be spending a minimum of $400 in hinges (more likely $600... PVC is heavy, so I’d likely need 3/door I bet).

Again, this is for a storage area under a porch. I doubt I’d be accessing it more than a few times per month on average...

I think that each hinge can support around 175 pounds, so two hinges are rated at 350 pounds. Do you expect that someone will swing on the door? if so, then you might need three to support your 300 pound relative for using it as a play toy to swing on :D

Andrew Wayland
09-03-2020, 2:54 PM
I think that each hinge can support around 175 pounds, so two hinges are rated at 350 pounds. Do you expect that someone will swing on the door? if so, then you might need three to support your 300 pound relative for using it as a play toy to swing on :D

If that’s the case, I’m sure one hinge would easily do the trick! But even so: I think those particular hinges are just unjustifiably priced for the use I’m going for.

If this was a hidden room in my house kind of deal, I’d be all for it. But for an access panel below my deck that will be used a few times a year to fetch the hose stored underneath? I just can’t justify it. It does seem to check my boxes (although I’m still wondering if it swings out and away enough to allow the gate to open more than 90*), but again, I can think of a few other things I’d rather spend my money on.

Dave Sabo
09-04-2020, 12:19 AM
Made in Germany. You know the Germans always make good stuff . :)

Yes, they open more than 90 deg.

Osvaldo Cristo
09-04-2020, 4:21 AM
If it isn't for frequent use, I would go for a removable panel and would forget any hinges at all *except* if it is too heavy to be easily removed. In that case I would combine the hinges and some steel coil to help.

Frank Drackman
09-04-2020, 7:58 AM
Can you keep it really simple by using bolts and threaded inserts? I did it with screens for my attic vents & we happy with the results.