PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 735 height adjustment post-to-post?

Aaron Rosenthal
08-31-2020, 11:25 AM
I am building some panels to insert into cabinet rails and styles from Oak, and was power planing them to a common depth after the glue-up.
Yes, I know plywood would have been easier, but I like the figure ....
Anyway, I found something interesting as I was planing the build-up: I inserted the "left" edge into the planer and ran it through; then flipped it (both, face side) so the "right" side went through on the left. I don't know how else to describe it.
On both cuts, I got a significant cut, which confused me, since the unit is stock, not used all that often, and the knives are properly set.
Then, I put the face side down, at the same setting, and replicating my "left" facing cut and "right" facing cut - and I still got a cut on the board.
My assumption would be that once the board is through the cutter heads, and no height adjustment was made, the material removed on the first pass would mean the board was at dimension. But to run it through 4 times, and still have the knives cutting the board?
Is there a need for a more particular adjustment here?
I have a brand new Shellix head ready for it after this project is finished, and I'd rather not have a poorly adjusted leveling system making a mess of good wood.

glenn bradley
08-31-2020, 11:33 AM
Lightweight planers can have some flex in the chassis, bed or roller carriage assembly. There can be significant pressure exerted by planers, even lunchbox types. I often ran pieces through my DW734 a final time without changing the setting and got a sort of whisper cut; very light but, definitely removing material.

Stewart Lang
08-31-2020, 11:34 AM
Did you measure it with a calipers? What kind of cut are we talking about? 1/4" 1/16"? 1/1000"? The knives will almost always just "touch" the wood so it might sound like it's taking something off, but it's microscopic and negligible.

Also as mentioned above, if the wood moves or warps after a cut, it might cause a little more to be taken off if you feed it through again.

Andrew Hughes
08-31-2020, 11:55 AM
Are you face one side flat before planing. It kinda sounds like a board with a twist .

Aaron Rosenthal
09-01-2020, 2:01 AM
To answer; It was dead flat cross the top measured up the yin-yang. I finished the planing, and found on the edges, using a metric vernier caliper, a difference of just over half a mm on one side, against the other.
Anyway, I'll be cutting a rabbet and putting it into a 1/4" channel, so my curiosity will have to extend to another project.
Thanks to all.

Sam Puhalovich
09-01-2020, 5:08 AM
Aaron; whenever I use my DW-735 it's to get a specific thickness. Mostly I measure using a caliper ... a micrometer if the need is for a very specific thickness ... and I'll end-up within .002" of what I need. The depth-of-cut is 1/16" per rev of the crank ... I control that by cranking 'down' past the the thickness ... then pulling 'up' to take-out the backlash and stop at a relative amount of angle. Not controlling the backlash might be your cause.

Richard Verwoest
09-01-2020, 1:31 PM
I once had a Delta lunchbox planner that the cutter assymbly was "racked". I had to remove the chain and adjust one side by half a turn. It cut parallel after that.

Richard