PDA

View Full Version : Gluing DT's and finger joints

Brian Hale
12-31-2005, 11:49 AM
How do you folks go about gluing DT'd and finger joints? I've got some finger jointed drawers to assemble and i'm concerned that buy the time i get glue on all the surfaces, it'll start to setup before i can get it assembled.

Brian :)

tod evans
12-31-2005, 11:52 AM
blue tape on the inside really helps...02 tod

Roger Everett
12-31-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm also a blue tape guy myself. Titebond extend for glue-ups that will take more than a few minutes. And ofcourse have everything ready, clamps preset set, glue, brush, wet rag, etc.
Roger

Brian Hale
12-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys!

Yes, i'm also a fan of blue tape on inside corner glue ups.

Do i need to get glue on all the surfaces?

tod evans
12-31-2005, 12:16 PM
i do. try using an "acid" brush, stiff bristles metal handle, 15 cents....02 tod

Joseph N. Myers
12-31-2005, 1:09 PM
Brian,

Did my first box joint glue up last night and came out ok except for some extra glue on the inside of the unit. No big deal as it was a prototype but good learning experience. I used tilebond III which has a longer setup time then tilebond II so that might have help. I got a lot of good information from an article in ShopNotes, No. 62, "Box Joint Jig", much of it follows:

1. As Tod suggested, tape the inside edges of the pieces, blue tape works fine.. (Note: make sure that the tape butts up against the bottom of the finger joint. Mine didn’t and that is why I got the glue run out.

2. Use white glue instead of yellow glue, sets slower.

3. To get the glue on quickly, use a small acid brush (available at most hardware stores).

3. Apply glue to one jointed end only. Dab glue in all slots. And dab glue on all inside pins. And as the article says, "you don’t want much glue, even a little bit creates a strong hold".

4. You’ll need two clamps on each side, four total. Because the ends of the box joint fingers stand proud of the sides, you can’t really apply clamps directly on the corners so use clamping blocks (pieces of wood that will fit against the sides between the finger joints.

Band clamps and small blocks near corners will also work.

5. Depending on different factors such as the size and thickness of the wood, the sides might bow in. One way to prevent this is with a foam squaring form, corners trimmed, which fits inside the box.

Regards, and good luck, Joe

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 2:25 PM
Do i need to get glue on all the surfaces?

For the strongest joint, yes...

And as above, use an extended formula glue or plain old white glue for these complex joints that take a bit 'o brushing to get the glue in all the nooks and crannies!