PDA

View Full Version : Frustration: Cannot Find Bandsaw Blade I Seek

Scott Memmer
08-30-2020, 1:06 PM
Howdy, All. I recently acquired a Ryobi 9-inch bandsaw. I have a specific need for a specific blade for this machine that I'm having troubling locating, at least at a reasonable price.

I hate paying shipping, so I'd prefer Amazon, ebay, or anyone else who doesn't ding for freight. I just have a thing about it.

Here's what I need:

59-1/2" length
1/2" width
24 TPI

This would seem to be very easy to find, but I've been searching and searching. I really need the 1/2" width for the job I'm doing.

Thank You so much,

Scott

Jim Becker
08-30-2020, 1:58 PM
Unfortunately, if that's a non-standard item, it will likely need to be made up by a shop and custom welded. 24 TPI at .5" wide doesn't sound like something that's going to be very common, but I could be wrong about that. Past threads have provided vendors that make up bands to custom specification. Shipping is just part of the cost of acquiring things, unfortunately, unless you have a local shop that welds up bands and has stock like you need.

Scott Memmer
08-30-2020, 2:52 PM
Jim, yes, it appears that way. It looks if I just modify my spec slightly I can get into something reasonably priced that will probably be fine. So, for instance, if I go down from 1/2" wide to 3/8" there are a lot more choices; and if I go from 24 TPI down to 18 that too expands the playing field.

Thanks, Jim!

Scott

Paul F Franklin
08-30-2020, 3:49 PM
Well, you can get what you want from bandsawbladesdirect.com and pay shipping, or buy $100 worth of blades and get free shipping.

Steve Jenkins
08-30-2020, 4:00 PM
A lot of local saw sharpening shops sell band saw blades and size them to order

Carroll Courtney
08-30-2020, 5:13 PM
I buy from these people,if you spend little money shipping is free. Like other places they make them to length.
https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=bandsaw%20blades%20direct&utm_campaign=Band_Saw_Blades&gclid=CjwKCAjwnK36BRBVEiwAsMT8WGf2jUjCjSQwCyyczOuK x2AJksLURmspD25W5iHdEuRQCRvkqf2UihoCHCYQAvD_BwE

Bill Dufour
08-30-2020, 6:10 PM
I think you need to look at metal cutting blades for that TPI count. Not much room for gullets at that count. I think you will need an air blast, or rotary brush, below then table to get enough out of the gullets for it to work.
Bil lD

Steve Rozmiarek
08-30-2020, 7:17 PM
Well, you can get what you want from bandsawbladesdirect.com and pay shipping, or buy $100 worth of blades and get free shipping.

Ditto. All the Lennox series there, made to order. I just ordered a few for my little 14", in the $16 range for 93.5" flex backs.

Sam Force
08-30-2020, 7:30 PM
I think you are asking for more than that little saw can handle. I would be surprised if you would be able to properly tension a 1/2 inch blade

Howard Pollack
08-30-2020, 7:55 PM
The old saying is still true: "There is no such thing as free lunch" -Howard

Richard Coers
08-30-2020, 9:49 PM
1/2" blade on that saw will never be tensioned correctly. 24 teeth? Are you cutting veneer? That's way too small of gullet to remove sawdust if cutting even 3/4" hardwood. The feed speed would have to be almost microscopic to let the gullets remove any sawdust at all. Maybe you are asking for a woodburning blade instead of a woodworking blade.

John K Jordan
08-30-2020, 10:59 PM
Howdy, All. I recently acquired a Ryobi 9-inch bandsaw. I have a specific need for a specific blade for this machine that I'm having troubling locating, at least at a reasonable price.
I hate paying shipping, so I'd prefer Amazon, ebay, or anyone else who doesn't ding for freight. I just have a thing about it.

I buy blades from a local shop who makes them to order, any size. No shipping cost, I just drive down and pick up blades. They carry a huge stock in bands but if it's a blade they don't carry I pay them for 100' coil and buy whatever they can make from that. (I can get 8 blades for my saw from one 100' reel.)

This shop uses Lennox stock. You can go to the Lennox web site and find local shops all over the country who make blades to order.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
08-31-2020, 2:12 AM
IIRC, the OP has a "guitar pick" company he was posting about a couple weeks back. Maybe he uses it in that process? I'm guessing that if I was cutting a thin plastic, a lot of teeth might give a better result. I am surprised about the width on such a small saw. It would be interesting to know why he is using a such a wide blade.

Pete Staehling
08-31-2020, 6:59 AM
I am curious why 1/2" wide? I can't imagine wanting/needing that on the 9" Ryobi. I am guessing this must be some very special use case. Otherwise it just sounds like a bad idea.

BTW, it isn't too hard to braze or silver solder blades yourself if it comes to that. Not sure if the smaller diameter wheels would make the brazed/soldered joints a lot more likely to fail, but I'd expect they'd be fine.

Melvin Feng
08-31-2020, 11:09 AM
I used to have a version of this bandsaw, and as I remember it, 3/8" was the widest blade it was specified for. It wasn't a great bandsaw for me though, even with the 3/8" blade, but good enough for me to get started and see what bandsaws were capable of.

Jim Becker
08-31-2020, 1:10 PM
3/8" is a normal maximum width for a saw of that wheel size from what I can see.

lowell holmes
08-31-2020, 3:14 PM
I bought blades from Amazon about 10 years ago. I am still using the blades. I do not remember the price.

Just pay the price and get on with enjoying your saw.

Jim Dwight
09-01-2020, 2:51 PM
sawblade.com is another place that will make a blade for you. I only looked at the flex back option, they have a bunch, but the highest tooth count at that length was 18. I don't know about shipping, for low volume you would pay, but the blade was less than $13.

Curt Harms
09-02-2020, 10:01 AM
I think you are asking for more than that little saw can handle. I would be surprised if you would be able to properly tension a 1/2 inch blade

That was my thought as well. 3/8" sounds better I'd think. And yeah, if you need other than 93"/105" blades pickins' can be slim.

Bill Dempsey
09-02-2020, 3:51 PM
Starrett.com shows a skip tooth in 1/2 24tpi. I buy from them often, good prices, takes a week or so to make up the length needed, usually free shipping.