PDA

View Full Version : Smitten Kitten - Lack of Backlash

Nathan Johnson
08-30-2020, 12:07 PM
I have a number of vintage planes that I've restored....some much better than others. (My type 19 Stanley 7c and type 19 Stanley 5 are my best users so far... go figure.)
I finally decided I deserved a treat and sprung for a Lie Nielsen #3 bronze.
Wow.
The depth adjustment engagement is remarkable....so much so that initially I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm so used to multiple turns to engage the adjustment. This is night and day.

It did cut out of the box, but a quick hone and strop and this little beauty took the tearout out of my birdseye maple shelf that I'm making.

It's almost too pretty to use. And since those close to me can't appreciate this tool, I have to post here.

Thomas Wilson
08-30-2020, 1:49 PM
I have a number of vintage planes that I've restored....some much better than others. (My type 19 Stanley 7c and type 19 Stanley 5 are my best users so far... go figure.)
I finally decided I deserved a treat and sprung for a Lie Nielsen #3 bronze.
Wow.
The depth adjustment engagement is remarkable....so much so that initially I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm so used to multiple turns to engage the adjustment. This is night and day.

It did cut out of the box, but a quick hone and strop and this little beauty took the tearout out of my birdseye maple shelf that I'm making.

It's almost too pretty to use. And since those close to me can't appreciate this tool, I have to post here.

Use it. It looks much better with a good patina on the bronze.

Jim Koepke
08-30-2020, 2:33 PM
I'm so used to multiple turns to engage the adjustment. This is night and day.

The lack of backlash was one of the hardest things for me to get used to on an LN bench plane.

It doesn't really bother me on a plane that was made in the last century or the century before. Some find it frustrating.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
08-30-2020, 2:55 PM
That's a nice tool. Use it and enjoy it. I hope you do many happy projects together!
Fred

Nathan Johnson
08-30-2020, 3:27 PM
ALMOST too pretty to use, I said.
She made shavings on Day 1. :)

Curt Putnam
08-30-2020, 7:46 PM
There is real pleasure to be had from using precision made tools. As the man said, use it, Wear the finish off the tote and use up the iron - and then pass it on.

David Eisenhauer
08-30-2020, 11:27 PM
And not to mention just the usability of a #3 plane as a final smoother, regardless of backlash. I have always liked a #3 size plane for smoothing, but I was gifted a LN #4 and yes, it is manufactured to much tighter specs than my older Stanley's are. I have never used a LN #3 but can imagine that it would work well. Photo of it in action please.

Tyler Bancroft
09-01-2020, 1:31 PM
Use it. It looks much better with a good patina on the bronze.

I love the look of the LN bronze planes, but no one up here in Canada sells them, sadly.

Jim Koepke
09-01-2020, 1:33 PM
I love the look of the LN bronze planes, but no one up here in Canada sells them, sadly.

How about having them shipped across the boarder? Is there a heavy duty involved?

jtk

Tyler Bancroft
09-01-2020, 1:42 PM
How about having them shipped across the boarder? Is there a heavy duty involved?

jtk

There wouldn't have been duty under NAFTA, because they're manufactured in the US, but I don't know about the new trade agreement. Mostly it's a matter of being high-risk and not wanting to run the risk of having coronaviruses show up in the mailbox.