PDA

View Full Version : How do You glue contrasting strips in blanks?

Hal Mann
08-29-2020, 4:48 PM
When I cut a blank diagonally and try to glue a contrasting wood strip between the two pieces, upon clamping they slide apart. I finally got it to work, kind of, with V clamping blocks at two corners. But how do YOU do it? There's got to be a better way than I did it.
cheers,
hal

Patrick Morris IV
08-29-2020, 5:10 PM
what i found to work, was don't cut the pieces completely apart. With the saw kerf the same thickness as the insert the parts can't slip. Great way to make Celtic knots in stopper or pen blanks.

Hal Mann
08-29-2020, 6:08 PM
thanks Patrick,

Sounds like that'd work great on smaller items. I'll give it a try on 5" blank cut with bandsaw and 1/8" thick insert strip. See what happens.

hal

Sam Force
08-29-2020, 6:58 PM
What Patrick said works, another way is to under cut the inserted piece by a smidgen and glue the pieces between 2 longer pieces that you can clamp at 90 degrees so the angled pieces have no way to go sideways. Then clamp from the ends. Not sure about cutting on the BS, it's not easy to get the exact size kerf that you need.

Paul F Franklin
08-29-2020, 7:09 PM
One trick I have used in other situations where the parts want to slide with no easy way to prevent, is to use a couple of dabs of CA glue to sort of tack the pieces together. When I spread the tite bond or whatever glue I'm using, I leave a couple of bare spots; then put a drop or two of CA glue there, press the pieces together until the CA grabs, then repeat for the next piece.

[eta:] I've also heard of folks driving in a couple of small brads, and then cutting off the heads to leave a sharp point. Then when the pieces are pressed together the brads prevent slipping.

John K Jordan
08-29-2020, 7:34 PM
When I cut a blank diagonally and try to glue a contrasting wood strip between the two pieces, upon clamping they slide apart. I finally got it to work, kind of, with V clamping blocks at two corners. But how do YOU do it? There's got to be a better way than I did it.
cheers,
hal

Frank Penta is a laminating maniac. He showed me jigs he made, a plywood flat with two vertical pieces forming a 90-deg corner. Put the corner of the blank into the corner of the jig and clamp.

Frank describes this in his lamination document on page 4.
http://www.frankpenta.com/index.php/projects/projects/design%20and%20turn%20laminated%20wood.pdf/detail
The book press he shows on that page is also useful. I bought same one from Amazon for a pleasantly low cost. I mounted mine on "riser" blocks so I could clamp much thicker laminations.

You can contact Frank from his website - he has always been extremely willing to help.
http://www.frankpenta.com/index.php/contacts

I make a point to stop in and visit when I'm in the Raleigh area.

JKJ

Steve Eure
08-29-2020, 7:40 PM
You can also make an L-shaped jig that has about a 1/2" gap on one of the sides. Clamp one of your pieces to the "fence", put in your strip, put on the other angled piece, clamp it to the fence. Put a clamp across the ends to squeeze together. Your strip will sit in the gap so it can protrude out of it. If you use this approach, make sure to put some tape down so the glue won't stick your pieces to the jig.
Of course the easier way may be as suggested before.

Hal Mann
08-30-2020, 11:42 AM
Thanks Sam,

that sure sounds like it should work. I'll give that a try. Much thanks,

hal

Hal Mann
08-30-2020, 11:45 AM
Hey Paul,

I like both those ideas. The CA glue seems like a quick and efficient strategy.

On the brad points, I'm guessing you just make sure you know where they are so you can prevent running into them with the late chisels. I'll have to think about that one more and visualize how to do it. Seems quick.

thanks,

hal

Hal Mann
08-30-2020, 11:49 AM
thanks JKJ,

wow - thanks for the link to Frank Penta - that's some wonderfully detailed information he published.

much thanks,

hal

Hal Mann
08-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Thanks SWE,

That sounds interesting. I'm trying to visualize how that works. I'll mock up that L-shaped jig later to get a better idea. Much thanks.

Everyone here's been so helpful.

Thanks all,

hal