PDA

View Full Version : New Keyless Chuck for Jet JDP-15B Drill Press

Tom Wrzos
08-29-2020, 11:24 AM
First post, long time lurker. Be kind.

I currently have a Jet 15" bench top drill press and for multiple reasons would like to replace the current keyed chuck with a keyless version. Current chuck is 2JT with an 2JT/3MT arbor. Also, for multiple reasons I do not buy knock off or inexpensive imports. So I have several questions that I would like help to answer:

1.) Should I go with the same 2JT or switch to a 33JT? Is there really any difference?

2.) Should I also replace the arbor even if I stay with a 2JT?

3.) I am considering Bison and Rohm. Others? Jacobs seem to have lots of critics relating to quality. I have no idea except that I know that I can't afford and don't need an Albrecht!

4.) Current chuck is 5/8" max which seems to be pretty large for a 2JT according to the research that I have done. 1/2" good enough?

5.) Anything else?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Tom

Andy D Jones
08-29-2020, 12:01 PM
I would consider the minimum drill shank diameter it will chuck, more than the largest. Especially since you have a backup 5/8" chuck if you need that big.

Many 1/2" chucks will go down to 1/32, whereas many 5/8" chucks won't go below 1/8.

I wouldn't be that picky about the chuck's taper, just get an arbor to match it. I would get a new arbor anyway, especially if you go with a 1/2" chuck, since it is easier to change out arbor+chuck as a unit than it is to swap chucks on an arbor. Make sure you get a tang arbor, since those are easier to remove from the DP spindle (using a drift wedge).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Malcolm McLeod
08-29-2020, 8:07 PM
Tom,
You don't give much indication of where your financial vs quality tipping-point lives, but I put a key-less Jacobs JK-130-J33 on my DP and it has been flawless for 6-8 yrs. Quick check of prices looks almost identical for then vs now (~$100). I have not used a dial-indicator to check run-out, as I am certain it is way better than my woodworking needs.

I used a new arbor, so changes to the old 3/4" keyed chuck are quick and painless.

roger wiegand
08-30-2020, 8:03 AM
I've found a couple used Albrecht's on ebay in the $100-150 range; I now have one on my DP and one that I use on my lathe. They are the smoothest operating chucks I've ever used, hold tenaciously, runout smaller than I can measure.

Tom Wrzos
08-30-2020, 12:57 PM
Tom,
You don't give much indication of where your financial vs quality tipping-point lives, but I put a key-less Jacobs JK-130-J33 on my DP and it has been flawless for 6-8 yrs. Quick check of prices looks almost identical for then vs now (~$100). I have not used a dial-indicator to check run-out, as I am certain it is way better than my woodworking needs.

I used a new arbor, so changes to the old 3/4" keyed chuck are quick and painless.

Hi Malcolm,

My price range is anywhere between $100-200 including a new arbor. Thank you for your suggestions.

Tom Wrzos
08-30-2020, 1:00 PM
I would consider the minimum drill shank diameter it will chuck, more than the largest. Especially since you have a backup 5/8" chuck if you need that big.

Many 1/2" chucks will go down to 1/32, whereas many 5/8" chucks won't go below 1/8.

I wouldn't be that picky about the chuck's taper, just get an arbor to match it. I would get a new arbor anyway, especially if you go with a 1/2" chuck, since it is easier to change out arbor+chuck as a unit than it is to swap chucks on an arbor. Make sure you get a tang arbor, since those are easier to remove from the DP spindle (using a drift wedge).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely get a new arbor and that opens up things between a JT2 and JT33. I will stick to a 1/32" and a 1/2" max.

Tom Wrzos
08-30-2020, 1:01 PM
I've found a couple used Albrecht's on ebay in the $100-150 range; I now have one on my DP and one that I use on my lathe. They are the smoothest operating chucks I've ever used, hold tenaciously, runout smaller than I can measure.

Hi Roger,

I will check out ebay. Good suggestion.

Regards,

Tom

Christopher Giles
08-30-2020, 2:54 PM
Tom,
I bought a used drill press for 100 bucks a few years back, which happened to have an Albrecht chuck on it. It is an amazingly well made devise and I would highly recommend considering a used one. What a nice surprise!

Jim Tobias
08-31-2020, 12:42 PM
I purchased this one about 6-8 months ago for my floor model Delta (965?) Llambrich brand. Really like it. I did not realize what I was missing using a keyed chuck all those years.

Jim

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R62FDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tom Wrzos
08-31-2020, 1:51 PM

Roger,

Nothing on ebay now. Good idea though and worth the time to check.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Wrzos
08-31-2020, 1:52 PM
Tom,
I bought a used drill press for 100 bucks a few years back, which happened to have an Albrecht chuck on it. It is an amazingly well made devise and I would highly recommend considering a used one. What a nice surprise!

Christopher,

You are a lucky man. Nothing on ebay now.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Wrzos
08-31-2020, 2:03 PM
I purchased this one about 6-8 months ago for my floor model Delta (965?) Llambrich brand. Really like it. I did not realize what I was missing using a keyed chuck all those years.

Jim

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R62FDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim,

This weekend I had come across Llambrich, looked it up today and just ordered a version with an integral arbor just before I saw your post. I'm glad that you really like yours. I'm anxious to see if it fits and how it works. I also highly considered Bison and Rohm. I like the idea of Llambrich because of where it is made. Everyone is different but for me that is an important consideration if I have a choice.

Regards,

Tom