PDA

View Full Version : straight edge

Jeff Watson
12-31-2005, 10:57 AM
I am about to purchase a jointer from Grizzly and need a good quality straight edge. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have looked at the ones from Lee Valley, they look pretty good. Thanks

tod evans
12-31-2005, 10:59 AM
jeff, you would be well served with a straight mdf rip for set-up......02 tod

Gary Curtis
12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
I posted this thread 3 weeks ago.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27156&highlight=straight+edge

Gary Curtis

Doug Shepard
12-31-2005, 11:11 AM
I just picked up an 18" Starrett from HD's website on their 25% off handtool sale. Not sure if the sale goes through 12/31 or not.

Frank Pellow
12-31-2005, 11:11 AM
There was a recent thread that covered this topic quite well. See: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27156

Gary Curtis
12-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Here's some more info, just to confuse you. The company that sold me my tablesaw showed me their 1/4 inch steel rule. They prefer it because after years of use, the edge hasn't dinged. But most of all, it can be rested on edge without falling over.

Home Depot sells a number of levels in 3,4 & 5-foot lengths. The ones made by Empire boast on the label that they are ground to .0005" accuracy. Price is a bit less than the Veritas 36" aluminum Veritas. Whether you like the bubble levels or not, you'd still be getting a damned straight edge.

Gary Curtis

JayStPeter
12-31-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty happy with the LV straight edges.

Jay

Ken Garlock
12-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I am about to purchase a jointer from Grizzly and need a good quality straight edge. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have looked at the ones from Lee Valley, they look pretty good. Thanks

Jeff, you have narrowed the search down to one thing: a Starrett straight edge. They are straight to .0002(2/10000) inche per foot. I have the 36" 380 model. I treat it like it was a piece of heirloom crystal. It is housed in a felt lined ash case I made. Ii is a precision tool that is the shop reference. Do I use it frequently, no; however, for checking jointer and saw tables, it can't be beat.:) Yes, it is expensive, $135, but I only plan on buying one in my lifetime.

Buy quality and spend your money once:cool:

Dan Racette
12-31-2005, 12:14 PM
I got mine at toolsforworkingwood.

I think it was $55 for a 36" but no bevel and no grad marks.

I't been true to me ever since. (straightedge humor)!

Doug Shepard
12-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Jeff, you have narrowed the search down to one thing: a Starrett straight edge. They are straight to .0002(2/10000) inche per foot. I have the 36" 380 model. I treat it like it was a piece of heirloom crystal. It is housed in a felt lined ash case I made. Ii is a precision tool that is the shop reference. Do I use it frequently, no; however, for checking jointer and saw tables, it can't be beat.:) Yes, it is expensive, $135, but I only plan on buying one in my lifetime.

Buy quality and spend your money once:cool:

Ken
Don't mean to derail the thread, but do you have pics of the case you made for your's? I've been thinking since I got mine, that I should probably make a house for it.

John Bailey
12-31-2005, 1:08 PM
I bought the LV black aluminum. I like it a lot and it didn't break the bank. I really like the way it stands on its own.

John

Keith Outten
12-31-2005, 2:36 PM
I just checked one of my 50" EZSmart guides against an extruded aluminum fence that I know to be perfectly straight and it was dead on. Stands on it's edge nicely too :)

Bob Noles
12-31-2005, 4:54 PM
Keith,

Great tip.... I never thought of that, but should have. That is and should be abut the most straight edge in my shop.

Ken Garlock
12-31-2005, 8:46 PM
Ken
Don't mean to derail the thread, but do you have pics of the case you made for your's? I've been thinking since I got mine, that I should probably make a house for it.

Doug, here are a couple pix of the case. It was built about 5 yrs ago when my shop tools consisted of a cheap router, and a miter saw.:eek:

This is the case sitting on my recently completed saw output table. The Straight edge is 36", and the case is about 40" long, +-.

With the case open showing the straight edge.

Next is a close-up of the Starrett admonition that it is a precision tool.

Last is the Straight edge in the case. The ribbons are to assist in lifting it from the case recess

The top is attached with a piano hinge from HD and some very small brass screws. The front catches are slide type. Both of mine are slide-right to open. I really needed one slide-left for the left end:o

John Pohja
12-31-2005, 10:12 PM
try traditionalwoodworker.com. I got a nice one from them about a year ago. Nice people to deal with too. john

Mark Singer
12-31-2005, 10:17 PM
A good 5' or 8' level is very good...You lay that on something and it tells the story and it stands by itself...I use a 5' level in the shop all the time...check a door edge...you do need to trust your tablesaw and jointer...otherwise you go crazy...I know by the sound ....thats enough