PDA

View Full Version : Incra 5000 sloppy

Joshua Bass
08-28-2020, 1:57 AM
Anyone else have issues with the Incra 5000 sled being loose?

I've had mine for a couple of years but rarely use it. I busted it out today to make some precision cuts and everything was off. So I took it apart, cleaned it, reassembled and proceeded to try to calibrate it. I couldn't get it square not matter what I tried. Multiple squares, fine adjustments, and still cuts were off.

I finally discovered the hole the center shoulder bolt goes through is now oversized. Not sure if it was always like this or if it got worn over time. There is significant slop in the fence now when the outer portion isnt screwed down. This makes it impossible to trust any of the angle marks on the gauge.

https://i.imgur.com/9GVDpd3.jpg

David Buchhauser
08-28-2020, 2:59 AM
I have the same Incra 5000 - had it for several years now. It cuts precise angles and never had a problem. Yours looks to be brand new, so it's hard to believe that the hole is worn. Perhaps take it back apart and take some photos and measurements of the hole. Then I will take mine apart for a comparison. Do you have the miter slot runner adjusted tight in the slot? There are adjusting washers along the length with access holes in the top.
David

Brian Behrens
08-28-2020, 6:18 AM
I have no doubt whatsoever that Incra will either answer your questions and get it running, or replace whatever has gone wrong. They stand behind their products 100%. Give Neil a call

David Buchhauser
08-28-2020, 7:49 AM
My best guess is that you might not have your adjustment tooth for the 1 degree increments engaged completely and/or the lock knob tight. If this is the case, then you will have play in the miter gauge which will result in the inability to achieve repeatable accurate results. Otherwise I would contact Incra to discuss your issue. My pivot bolt is a very tight fit into the nylon bushing with no discernible play.
David

glenn bradley
08-28-2020, 11:53 AM
Is that nylon piece at the pivot point a shoulder bushing? Is it worn perhaps? I haven't called Incra in many years but, back when I did they were prompt, courteous and infinitely helpful.

Richard Coers
08-28-2020, 1:40 PM
The shoulder diameter is sloppy in the hole? On my 1000, that bolt is a shoulder bolt. If you don't center the hole when you install the bolt, you may not be pivoting on the shoulder but on the threaded section which is a smaller diameter. If the hole is that sloppy on the shoulder, you might be able to wrap some really thin shim stock while you wait for a replacement part.

Joshua Bass
08-28-2020, 3:11 PM
The shoulder diameter is sloppy in the hole? On my 1000, that bolt is a shoulder bolt. If you don't center the hole when you install the bolt, you may not be pivoting on the shoulder but on the threaded section which is a smaller diameter. If the hole is that sloppy on the shoulder, you might be able to wrap some really thin shim stock while you wait for a replacement part.

The shoulder bolt is fully seated. The hole it goes through is a little over size causing some slop in the system. I might take a video of it and post it and contact Incra about it.