PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Hilti WSC 267-E circular saw

Mitch Romanowski
08-27-2020, 9:54 AM
I'm looking for info on a Hilti 267-E 7-1/4 inch corded circular saw. Wondering if anyone know someone who may have one and what I could expect to pay.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-28-2020, 9:10 AM
About $300. It's not a saw that will end up in my shop, seems like better options out there to me. Disclaimer, I'm not a Hilti fan. Are you interested because of the ability to hook it to a rail? Pretty much all the other makes have options for that to.

Mark Bolton
08-28-2020, 10:27 AM
For a track saw, and coming from hilti, and it being a worm, I'd bet its a powerhouse but no personal details. Any Hilti power tool Ive ever had my hands on were beasts. Different class of tool. the 300 price thats around is only slightly more than a refurb'd makita.

Robert Mayer
08-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Its probably not worth it unless you can get it cheap with the track. Its about 10 years old at this point and parts might be hard to come by. It was not out for very long here in the USA and was quickly replaced by cordless options. It is a good saw with nice power though, I have used one several times. I would just pay extra and get cordless. Cord suck, especially working around plywood.

Mark Bolton
08-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Cord suck, especially working around plywood.

Were on the flip side in the shop. Batteries suck far worse than any cord and with a track saw many are taking advantage of dust collection (pretty much the main reason we use the tracksaw at all) so your dealing with a hose anyway. But its all what works for you.

Robert Mayer
08-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Were on the flip side in the shop. Batteries suck far worse than any cord and with a track saw many are taking advantage of dust collection (pretty much the main reason we use the tracksaw at all) so your dealing with a hose anyway. But its all what works for you.

Depends a lot on the battery saw. 18v saws are a bit underpowered to rip plywood all day. Hilti does have a 36v saw that can cut for 4-5 hours without running out of battery, and has power close to most corded saws.

mike stenson
08-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Depends a lot on the battery saw. 18v saws are a bit underpowered to rip plywood all day. Hilti does have a 36v saw that can cut for 4-5 hours without running out of battery, and has power close to most corded saws.

I agree, if you're not collecting dust. I pretty much always am on a track saw.. so therefore...

Steve Rozmiarek
08-28-2020, 12:12 PM

True, if you have to run a hose anyhow, might as well be a cord there to. We cut outside on site 90% of the time, so we use FlexVolt Dewalt "worm" drives. Incredible saws, the best I've ever used battery or otherwise, and I'm picky.

Mark Bolton
08-28-2020, 1:35 PM

Dont want to argue battery/cord, just depends on the work you do. Ive been using cordless for perhap 25+years of 30 in an around construction (since the worst of the worst of battery technology) and use some form of cordless tool every single day of my life in the shop. But for me personally, other than impact drivers, having to deal with charging a battery, swapping a battery, less power, less production, I really dont care if you have a tractor and trailer battery attached to the tool I will outrun you every day, all day, in my sleep, with a cord, there is simply no comparison. Ive had "duels" on jobs countless times over this hooey. After that, I will never be forced to buy, or pay to have, outrageous batteries rebuilt or re-purchased. I will buy the tool one time and one time only. And unless I cut the cord off (which I do the day I buy the tool and install a 25' cord), wear the cord out, or have to re-brush or replace bearings, the tool will cost me less than a penny a day and likely be handed down to the next generation. That will never happen with a cordless tool. They, the batteries, the tool itself, are disposable. They will be outdated and thrown away in the landfill, as will the batteries, and your running slower than corded hands down.

Its a con job that we've all fallen for that the convenience of no-cord is faster, more efficient, more profitable. From owning a business most of my adult life, I can tell you, its not. Its just laziness. As I say, absolutely I own numerous cordless tools and they are spectacular when they are necessary. But compared to ANY corded comparable tool (other than impact drivers) they are slower and more costly with the trade off being convenience.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-28-2020, 2:15 PM
But compared to ANY corded comparable tool (other than impact drivers) they are slower and more costly with the trade off being convenience.

I thought so to until I tried this. It's a carpenter saw, not a track saw, but fantastic, better than any other carpenter saw I've used tailed or not.

https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/65x65/631/63189_65x65.jpg

Mark Bolton
08-28-2020, 2:58 PM
I thought so to until I tried this. It's a carpenter saw, not a track saw, but fantastic, better than any other carpenter saw I've used tailed or not.

https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/65x65/631/63189_65x65.jpg

Will your batteries fade over time and have to be replaced to the tune of nearly 200 a pop? Will the next-gen tool come out that you need to have so you'll shelve this one for the next one even though it still runs fine but a new set of batteries puts you closer to a newer/better tool? Will you do the math that stringing a cord takes less time that unpacking and plugging in the charger, walking to the charger every XXX to swap, and the fact that for the XX number of minutes before walking to the charger you were cutting slower and nursing a lame tool (not lame as in the tool sucks but an injured, degraded, underperforming tool) along?

Ive been in business long enough to see a hundred guys sit there trying to wring the last inch or last screw out of a battery because they were just too lazy to go swap a battery. OR be smart enough to throw an extra fully charged battery in their belt (so now your packing an extra X.X pounds around the job to account for the "lame" tool.

Again, I completely understand the logic... get straight to work, no carrying and stringing cords, it makes total sense on its face. But when you start adding up the nickles it turns into hundreds and hundreds of dollars of lost money. Who is going to put a new set of bearings in that saw? No one. You'd be lucky to find someone replacing a dead trigger switch. So the whole kit and kaboodle goes in the trash for the latest saw (hopefully with the same battery technology and interface so you can buy a bare tool and still keep your batteries). So now youve bought another saw... and then another saw, and then another saw.

And now youve bought two, three, four, outrageously priced saws, when you could have spend $150 bucks on a saw that will run for 20 years for a set of brushes, $15 for a pair of arbor bearings, and a coulple cord replacements.

Remote work, high in and out work, sure. Makes total sense. Again, its a con job that leaves you trading profit for gee gaws. Start watching the time and the math. I can string a cord in less time than it takes to unpack the charger and plug it in and be to work. And I will never ever stop to swap a battery, I will never nurse a slowing tool to get another cut or two, and I will outcut that saw on my worst day several fold. Math is math.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-28-2020, 4:45 PM
Mark, I don't disagree with your perspective. I was staunchly in agreement with you for most of my career. I despised having batteries that went weak, didn't perform in the cold, were ridiculously over priced and under powered, etc, and then worse have have a weak tool designed at less than heavy duty enough to hold up long enough to pay for itself. I still have a drawer of orphan weird batteries from failed tools of the past. However, a few tools started to get better with the 18 volt lines, namely impact drivers. I found that a Dewalt 18 volt impact was a pretty good tool and tougher than the competitors, so they actually made me $. Dewalt then threw away 18v to give us 20v, which was a gigantic yawn. Plus the smaller batteries were just not much good. Anything other than a drill or driver was still pretty much still amatuer hour on levels of build quality.

A couple years ago though, Milwaukee and Dewalt started competing with each other to make tougher tools and better batteries. Result has been very good for us pro users. Milwaukee started with a 18 volt Fuel 6ah battery that really actually had enough power to last a while. Dewalt went one better, etc, so we get to today where I'm using a Flexvolt 9 or 12 ah battery in my really high quality saws that have more power than a corded tool and last an amazingly long time. For example, I recently cut all the sheeting for a roof on a midsize house on one charge, and was still showing 1/2 battery power left. I learned long ago to frame with a worm drive, so I still do rather than using a chop saw unless I have a full crew on site, and one battery will run me and another guy framing all day. When we have a full framing crew on one site, we use cordless chop saws that last all day on a charge.

Earlier this summer I added two Milwaukee framing nailers. 700 shots of 3 1/4" .131 nails on one 5ah battery. More power than the pneumatics and just as fast on bump fire. Excellent nailers to boot.

We both have to make tools pay for themselves, so here is my rational. We usually work for a while at least on undeveloped sites with a temp power supply at best, often generator power to begin. For saws, drivers, lights, I can avoid the cost of bringing in a generator completely by just having a couple charged batteries brought on site in the morning. Once we do get temp power, just plug in a charger there. Usually temp power is on the meter pole, so used to take a few cords to get to where the work is going on, now I can skip that. Add in nailers, and now being able to work every bit as fast without having a compressor on site, and it gets a lot better. Also there is usually more than one site going on at the same time, so it saves packing up generator, cords, compressors and hoses, then unpacking all at the other site. I'm saving $ on generators, air compressors, cords and hoses. Biggest though is the time saved by just getting to work rather than having to set up the infrastructure of the job site continually. Labor is my biggest cost, so that's a big one. I can't really afford to not take advantage of the efficiencies that the new cordless tech brings.

That all being said, missing batteries amongst the crews is a constant battle. I don't have a good solution for that one yet.

Mark Bolton
08-31-2020, 5:15 PM
We both have to make tools pay for themselves, so here is my rational. We usually work for a while at least on undeveloped sites with a temp power supply at best, often generator power to begin. For saws, drivers, lights, I can avoid the cost of bringing in a generator completely by just having a couple charged batteries brought on site in the morning. Once we do get temp power, just plug in a charger there. Usually temp power is on the meter pole, so used to take a few cords to get to where the work is going on, now I can skip that. Add in nailers, and now being able to work every bit as fast without having a compressor on site, and it gets a lot better.

Sorry for the late reply, swamped beyond swamped. But again, have a run off. Do an honest no BS spreadsheet. Your logic across the board is advocating for slower for gee-gaws. Im glad you have the profitability to sustain that which makes complete sense because EVERYTHING now is more expensive than it use to be due to the geegaws and reduced production.

Quantify the cost of all your wasted time and money while you waited for your two manufacturers to go to war. How many tool variations, dead batteries, low production, slow sawing, trying to frame with a dog-sh(t pasload that wouldnt even bump nail (not allowed in my world other than extreme, middle of the woods). You ate the jello dude, its ok.. all that money could have been in your retirement fund lol.

I own three corded circular saws. The first milwaukee I bought when I was perhaps 20 years old and is still running and go to saw to this day. A Bosh Direct connect that is the second saw I ever bought as a spare and has been re-brushed twice. And a dog crap saw I got in a full tool buy from a guy that got hurt on job that we bought out all his tools and use his saw as a burner to cut in ridge vent and other non-savory's. Usually only ran 2 sites at once so add multiples of 150 for more.
Three saws, all less than 150 bucks, 30+ years of profit.

There was temporary power (line, or genset) on all jobs before the footers were scooped and it was in the cost of the job.

Also there is usually more than one site going on at the same time, so it saves packing up generator, cords, compressors and hoses, then unpacking all at the other site. I'm saving $ on generators, air compressors, cords and hoses. Biggest though is the time saved by just getting to work rather than having to set up the infrastructure of the job site continually. Labor is my biggest cost, so that's a big one. I can't really afford to not take advantage of the efficiencies that the new cordless tech brings. That all being said, missing batteries amongst the crews is a constant battle. I don't have a good solution for that one yet.

You must be making money, so I tickled for you, but your entire rationale speaks to wasted time, wasted tool expense, wasted production due to trying to find corded/hosed production from a battery. I hate to think of the thousands you went through getting to that point.

If I had multiple crews that HAD to run remotely due to poor power planning or the owners being unwilling to pay for remote/temp power, I would have a truck setup with either a genset on the truck that power all tools and compressor, or a split genset and gas/diesel compressor. There would be zero chasing batteries, zero packing batteries home of the evening to be charged (duh.. oh,.. dude, boss, uh,... I forgot to charge these three.. uhh...). My crews would be running on line power, wide open, full speed from second one, and the customer would be paying for the cost of their unwillingness or inability to have a temporary service on site.

Again, I can string a MILE of cord for the cost of a single cordless saw. A MILE. And Im old..

Literally, spread sheet it. Include all the tools and batteries it cost you to have this "Dewalt Revelation".

Youve probably got half a kids college tuition in plastic, NiCad, LiOn, in your shop, or local landfill, that could have been in your bank.

But it sure is a ton of fun buying tools lol (gag).

Steve Rozmiarek
08-31-2020, 6:54 PM
Sorry for the late reply, swamped beyond swamped. But again, have a run off. Do an honest no BS spreadsheet. Your logic across the board is advocating for slower for gee-gaws. Im glad you have the profitability to sustain that which makes complete sense because EVERYTHING now is more expensive than it use to be due to the geegaws and reduced production.

Quantify the cost of all your wasted time and money while you waited for your two manufacturers to go to war. How many tool variations, dead batteries, low production, slow sawing, trying to frame with a dog-sh(t pasload that wouldnt even bump nail (not allowed in my world other than extreme, middle of the woods). You ate the jello dude, its ok.. all that money could have been in your retirement fund lol.

I own three corded circular saws. The first milwaukee I bought when I was perhaps 20 years old and is still running and go to saw to this day. A Bosh Direct connect that is the second saw I ever bought as a spare and has been re-brushed twice. And a dog crap saw I got in a full tool buy from a guy that got hurt on job that we bought out all his tools and use his saw as a burner to cut in ridge vent and other non-savory's. Usually only ran 2 sites at once so add multiples of 150 for more.
Three saws, all less than 150 bucks, 30+ years of profit.

There was temporary power (line, or genset) on all jobs before the footers were scooped and it was in the cost of the job.

You must be making money, so I tickled for you, but your entire rationale speaks to wasted time, wasted tool expense, wasted production due to trying to find corded/hosed production from a battery. I hate to think of the thousands you went through getting to that point.

If I had multiple crews that HAD to run remotely due to poor power planning or the owners being unwilling to pay for remote/temp power, I would have a truck setup with either a genset on the truck that power all tools and compressor, or a split genset and gas/diesel compressor. There would be zero chasing batteries, zero packing batteries home of the evening to be charged (duh.. oh,.. dude, boss, uh,... I forgot to charge these three.. uhh...). My crews would be running on line power, wide open, full speed from second one, and the customer would be paying for the cost of their unwillingness or inability to have a temporary service on site.

Again, I can string a MILE of cord for the cost of a single cordless saw. A MILE. And Im old..

Literally, spread sheet it. Include all the tools and batteries it cost you to have this "Dewalt Revelation".

Youve probably got half a kids college tuition in plastic, NiCad, LiOn, in your shop, or local landfill, that could have been in your bank.

But it sure is a ton of fun buying tools lol (gag).

Mark, I come from your perspective, I lived it. I'm sitting in my office waiting on customers to show for a meeting, looking at a wall of shelves of corded tools. I get it, and I agree with you, EXCEPT that there are some cordless tools out there today that are better than anything on that shelf. I resisted cordless as long as it made financial sense, it just doesn't any more. They don't cost as much as you think either, I've got a lot less in cordless tools than what half of that shelf costed me. If I recall correctly, my old pet Bosch sidewinder cost the same as that Dewalt that I use daily now. I still keep the Bosch just in case, but the longer I use the Dewalt, the less likely it seems that it'll miss a beat.

No, I'm most definitely not suffering from excess cash flow, I am suffering from chronic time shortage. I've done the gen set in the truck, I've done the miles of hoses, cords, temp services, etc. Believe me, I resisted to because I didn't want light duty crap tools. You've probably tried a cordless "trim" saw at some point. Completely useless crap. These new tools are not that. These tools make my old pet Bosch sidewinder look weak, and they have the advantages I went through already. Of course there is some stupid junk out there still, but most of it isn't.

Ah, customers are here, better run.