PDA

View Full Version : permantly attatching rubber to wood

Doug Jones
07-11-2003, 10:13 PM
I am working on a project that requires me to permantly attatch rubber to a finished wood surface. The wood is not finished yet (stained only). I was wondering what kind of finish or glue or cobination of the two will allow me to do this a stay in a fixed position for a long period of time. For an example, if I was to finish the wood with Formsby tung oil, could I use super glue to hold the rubber in place for almost forever.
Or if you have any other suggestions, lay them on me. The rubber is not to fit a form or follow a contour. It is just to be placed on top of the surface, and I need a way of keeping it in place.
Once again any help is greatly appreciated, Doug

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-12-2003, 7:10 AM
Doug, I think that Contact Cement would be the ticket for securing the Rubber to the Wood. It will hold well, regardless of the finish on the surface. I am not sure about Super Glue, may work also. I think I would try the Contact Cement first, it would be a much easier application. Good Luck! (By the way, just out of curiousity, why the rubber on wood?)

Jamie Buxton
07-12-2003, 3:48 PM
How 'bout rubber cement? Y'know, the stuff for patching inner tubes? That stays stuck through some pretty nasty abuse. I'll bet it sticks to wood, too.

Bill Pentz
07-12-2003, 5:27 PM
I am working on a project that requires me to permantly attatch rubber to a finished wood surface. ... Doug

Doug,

If you have a large area, then the solvent based contact cements would work well.

If you have a smaller area, then go to a shoe replace and buy some Bardge (Spelling?) cement that is used to attach shoe soles. It is a very strong rubber based cement and works great.

bill

Doug Jones
07-12-2003, 5:35 PM
I figured it out. While walking through our local Ace Hardware store this afternoon, I ran across some self adhesive small circular "hook and loop" patches. These will work perfect. Thanks for all the input. Contact cement was the way I was going until I saw the H&L stuff.