PDA

View Full Version : How can I free this stuck hose?

Frederick Skelly
08-25-2020, 8:19 PM
Hi guys.
My hose is stuck on the outside fawcett. The hose ends in a normal threaded brass female fitting. It is apparently corroded on to the brass threads of the fawcett. I can see a greenish-blue corrosion. I tried white vinegar and that did not free it.

Any idea how I can free this?

Thank you!
Fred

Ron Citerone
08-25-2020, 8:21 PM
Water pump pliers?

Frederick Skelly
08-25-2020, 8:31 PM
Water pump pliers?

Thanks Ron. I tried that. Amazingly it didnt work.

David Publicover
08-25-2020, 8:57 PM
PB Blaster is what I go to on my boat for corroded bolts. Or try a little heat.

Bruce Wrenn
08-25-2020, 9:51 PM
Before installing new hose, clean threads and coat with plumber's silicon grease. Once a month, crack thread open a half turn, and reseatl

lowell holmes
08-25-2020, 9:52 PM
Try some gentle heat on it.

Jerry Bruette
08-25-2020, 9:55 PM
You could try tapping on it with hammers. Place one hammer on one side of the coupling and gently tap on the other side with the second hammer. Alternate tapping on several sides. Just be careful not to hit it hard enough to bend the coupling.

Nicholas Lawrence
08-25-2020, 9:56 PM
I would use a pipe wrench. Be careful that you support the faucet or you may tear the faucet off the wall.

To prevent it from happening, I use a little mineral oil in the threads, or as others have said you can just remember to disconnect it after each use.

Jim Matthews
08-26-2020, 6:16 AM
A hacksaw should cut through the brass ferrule.

If the hose is particularly old, a replacement might be more cost effective than a new barbed fitting.

Frederick Skelly
08-26-2020, 7:42 AM
Thank you guys! The ideas will help me out. I apprecriate it!
Fred

Ole Anderson
08-26-2020, 9:11 AM
Nothing grips like a pipe wrench. You might have to take a Dremel with a tiny cutoff blade or a multitool with a fine blade to cut the brass relieve the tension and break the corrosion, then insert a screwdriver to break it free.

Would that be a Furrule Fawcett by any chance?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Farrah_Fawcett_1977.JPG/220px-Farrah_Fawcett_1977.JPG

Stan Calow
08-26-2020, 10:10 AM
I would use a pipe wrench. Be careful that you support the faucet or you may tear the faucet off the wall.

I did this once. Outside spigot was on a short pipe connected to a line in the basement by a compression fitting (not my work). A few manly tugs with two pipe wrenches twisted the spigot out of the compression fitting and created a mess in the basement, and an expensive emergency call to the plumber as I couldn't get the main valve shutoff.

I'd try heat first.

Frederick Skelly
08-26-2020, 8:38 PM
Would that be a Furrule Fawcett by any chance?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Farrah_Fawcett_1977.JPG/220px-Farrah_Fawcett_1977.JPG

She was beautiful, wasn't she?

Frederick Skelly
08-29-2020, 5:40 PM
So I got it off.

I tried PB Blaster but it didnt break it loose. Good stuff though and Im glad to have some now.

Then I started looking at You Tube for ideas, since I was totally clueless. Turns out there's a thing called a vacuum breaker on outside faucets and the hose attaches to that - not the actual faucet. I figured I could pull that and replace just it. But it wouldnt unscrew either.

After some expletives and another video, I (finally) realized that the vacuum breaker wouldnt unscrew because (head slap!) there is a permanent set screw holding it on. Turning the breaker so I could cut out the set screw didnt do my faucet's threads any favors. But using a dremel as suggested was fast and effective after I got it oriented. (Thank you!) I got the old one off and the new one sealed up just fine.
(I decided not to tighten that set screw though. :) )

Thanks for your help and advice.

Fred

Al Launier
09-02-2020, 9:18 AM
Heat combined with water pump pliers should do it. If not, shut off the water supply to the spigot & replace the spigot. They'er not that expensive

Frederick Skelly
09-02-2020, 11:49 AM
Heat combined with water pump pliers should do it. If not, shut off the water supply to the spigot & replace the spigot. They'er not that expensive

Thanks Al!

lowell holmes
09-05-2020, 10:30 AM
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2-Pack-Tongue-Groove-Plier-Set/1000596385?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-218-_-pliersandwrenches-_-1000596385-_-0&placeholder=null&&ds_a_cid=279391351&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sz6BRDYARIsAPHzrNI7nRTyTJ6vrg7XgYWI c8soB7Rw3PH7ugaVcg6decgPQHCQam2990UaApe8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bill Dufour
09-06-2020, 4:09 PM
Craftsman rubber hoses are lifetime warranty. I have a 50 foot one that the female end corroded off. I will try to return it today. wish me luck.
Bil lD

Travis Conner
09-06-2020, 4:10 PM
Twisting it off while still supporting the pvc pipe and be prepared to shut the water off just in case something cracks.

Travis Conner
09-08-2020, 7:59 PM
Or you could go all redneck on it and just cut the hose leaving the seized fitting alone and splice on another fitting so you can put a new hose on. Then that 6" of old hose is like a strain relief whip lead. Lol.

Jim Koepke
09-09-2020, 6:17 PM
So I got it off.

[edited]

Thanks for your help and advice.

Fred

Amazing that even though the job is finish there is still new advice on how to get 'er done.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
09-09-2020, 8:19 PM
Yes it is Jim. Everyone here always helps me. :)

Rollie Meyers
09-12-2020, 11:20 PM
When hose bib mounted vacuum breakers fail (leak) I take my Sawzall® & make a couple of cuts so that a large screwdriver can be put in the cut to spread it enough to allow it to unscrew, I try not to go too deep so don't bugger up the threads of the hose bib. One note, a lot of hoses have aluminum hose fitting, they are really prone to corrosion so I would recommend leaving them in the store in favor of brass fittings.

Frederick Skelly
09-13-2020, 9:20 AM
When hose bib mounted vacuum breakers fail (leak) I take my Sawzall® & make a couple of cuts so that a large screwdriver can be put in the cut to spread it enough to allow it to unscrew, I try not to go too deep so don't bugger up the threads of the hose bib. One note, a lot of hoses have aluminum hose fitting, they are really prone to corrosion so I would recommend leaving them in the store in favor of brass fittings.

Thanks Rollie. What you describe is pretty much what I ended up doing. And I put plastic hose fittings on the dang hose to eliminate corrosion.

John K Jordan
09-13-2020, 11:10 AM
...One note, a lot of hoses have aluminum hose fitting, they are really prone to corrosion so I would recommend leaving them in the store in favor of brass fittings.

I strongly agree. I learned the hard way to not buy hoses and things with aluminum fittings.
I've seen some lately that appeared to be anodized aluminum. I wonder if this is better but I'm not brave enough to try one. Very pretty though. :)
I also wonder if a silicone compound like dielectric grease would slow or stop the corrosion. I think I'll try that on on those aluminum fittings I have now.

JKJ