PDA

View Full Version : Gauging the value of this Bridge City square

Mike Manning
08-25-2020, 2:31 PM
Guys,
I picked this Bridge City square up a couple of years ago at an estate sale. It never gets used because it's in the box and too much hassle to take it out and put it back away. The box was built by the previous owner. As you can see the documentation he got from Bridge City in 1990 is still with the square. I decided today that I'm going to trade it for other woodworking related stuff. I'm trying to get an idea of value on this. There's a young guy I know who has a Delta 16" scroll saw. I'd like to trade him the square as he's a Bridge City fan (their old tools). Wondering what y'all think the monetary value is on it? I appreciate any help.

PS The square is 3-3/4", just over 5" from the back of the square to the tip.

Mike

Jim Koepke
08-25-2020, 3:47 PM
If you are happy with the trade and they are happy with the trade, why care about any dollar values?

Have you tried searching completed listings on ebay?

jtk

Christopher Herzog
08-25-2020, 4:17 PM
I enjoy the old BCT tools as well. If it a TS1 I would guess it between 50 an 75 depending on the condition. Box is nice and the paperwork is good to have. If it is a TS 2 then closer to 100. EBay will have lots of listing. I would only go off completed in green/sold. Lots of yahoos put crazy, I don't want to sell it prices that I wonder who is crazy enough to pay.

Agree with the point that if you are happy and the other party is happy what does price matter.

Chris

Mike Manning
08-25-2020, 5:35 PM
Jim,
He hadn't seen the pics when I kind of proposed the trade but his response was silence. I have texted the pics above to him but he's busy until this evening. Just trying to "build my case" if that's necessary. He knows these are good tools why he collects them. He has a larger BC square already I'm happy to trade straight up but if it's not worth that I don't mind sweetening the pot on my end. Hoping they are of about equal value. Probably not. Anyway, that's the reason.

PS I haven't checked ebay. I'll do that.

Chris,
It looks like it's a TS1 per the doc that's with the square. Thanks!

Mike

roger wiegand
08-25-2020, 6:32 PM
I have and regularly use that square. Mine is no longer even remotely pristine, but still a very nice tool to use. Mine hasn't been babied as a collectors item. I don't even remember what I paid for it. I did keep the box, but it never finds its way back there, it's always out on the bench someplace.

Jim Matthews
08-25-2020, 8:03 PM
Engraved on the other side?

https://www.carpentrycollectibles.com/squares/bridge-city-squares

Mike Manning
08-25-2020, 8:10 PM
Roger,

Glad to hear it's a good reliable square. I have Starrett, Lufkin & B&S squares that I used before and since this square came along.

Jim,

It's stamped "Bridge City..." on the other side but not the engraved signature from what looks to be a limited edition run.

All,

I texted the owner of the scroll saw the pics of the square. He's going to think about it. I got the impression he doesn't know the value of the scroll saw. We'll see what transpires.

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: I had a very nice Delta 16" scroll saw that I sold back in '18. I told the guy who bought it that I was sure I was going to regret selling it. I just needed more space in the shop. Fast forward, our oldest grandson is 9 now and I'd like to introduce him to woodworking and figure that's about as good a machine to start on as there is. While I'm waiting I guess I need to figure out what I need to sell to add it back to the shop! :0)

Mike