PDA

View Full Version : Holder for T-Handle Hex Keys

Mark Katz
08-24-2020, 9:34 PM
A while back I bought two sets of Wiha T-Handle Hex Keys, one 8-piece Metric set and one 10-piece SAE set. These are the SoftGrip type which have very thick handles. For a while I jut piled them into a drawer, making it a chore to find the one I needed.

I looked around for some kind of stand that I could wall-mount to hold these tools and easily grab the one I needed. While Wiha makes a metal stand for each of these sets, it didn't look like they would solve my problem.

I found this stand online and bought one. It became obvious right away that this wouldn't be a satisfactory solution. Once filled, the stand is way too crowded and the no-contrast raised markings were hard to impossible to read without lifting the stand up to my face.

Finally, I decided to put my woodworking skills to work (gasp) and built something suitable. The label strip was produced on a Brother P-Touch label maker. It's not pretty but it works great.

Ole Anderson
08-25-2020, 10:07 AM
I just got one of these: , $7 at HF, wrenches included.
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/9/69369_W3.jpg

Bruce Page
08-25-2020, 10:36 AM
Nice solution Mark. They’re a lot easier to access now. I should do something like that with my T wrenches.

glenn bradley
08-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Nicely done Mark.

Dick Mahany
08-25-2020, 10:57 AM
Nice solution Mark. I like your idea of labels and need to do the same to mine. Your solution is so much better than having them in a drawer, where I kept misplacing one or two of them.

I had a similar desire to organize my t-handles a number of years ago and wound up building these. They have a cleat on the backside (not visible in the photo) that allows me to store them inside a cabinet door and also allows for them to be removed to where ever I was working.

Mark Katz
08-25-2020, 2:20 PM
I just got one of these: , $7 at HF, wrenches included.

I think I saw those, Ole, while looking for a solution but the spacing was too close for my set with fat handles.

Mark Katz
08-25-2020, 2:28 PM
Nice solution Mark. I like your idea of labels and need to do the same to mine. Your solution is so much better than having them in a drawer, where I kept misplacing one or two of them.

I had a similar desire to organize my t-handles a number of years ago and wound up building these. They have a cleat on the backside (not visible in the photo) that allows me to store them inside a cabinet door and also allows for them to be removed to where ever I was working.

Great idea to hang the holder on a cleat.

I highly recommend the P-Touch label printer I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HB8LNSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tapes for it are available in (slightly under) 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" widths and you can use various fonts, images, etc. on your labels.