PDA

View Full Version : Unplanned project

Lee Schierer
08-24-2020, 6:05 PM
We woke up Saturday morning to find that @ 3:00 am that a drunk driver took out a speed limit sign 100+ feet south of our house, proceeded along in the ditch at a high rate of speed, totally destroying our snowplow proof mailbox post and support, carrying it another 100+ feet north of its original location and then some how managed to get out of the ditch and go another500 feet before stopping on the side of the road. The car ripped the steel W channel supporting the speed limit sign in half. Our mailbox was supported by a 2" square heavy steel tube which was buried 3+ feet into the ground and embedded in concrete 10" in diameter and 3 feet long. The steel tube was pushed over and bent such that it was almost horizontal. The heavy duty steel mailbox itself was only slightly damaged with a small dent and a few scratches. Fortunately our paper delivery person, who is also an EMS who comes by at that hour was the first person on the scene and called the paramedics and police. The driver was arrested and charged with destruction of property and DUI. Oh and the paper delivery team actually left a note in our paper box the next day with their contact information and stating that they would be a witness for us if needed. I had to wait for the police to return for documentation before I could even clean up the mess.

So, I had to take some measurements, draw up a plan ad figure out what was needed to replace the mailbox post to once again make it snow plow resistant. Then off to the big box store, where fortunately they had 4 x 4 treated posts and all the hardware that I needed.

After over 6 hours of labor in 80+ degree heat across two days I completed the clean up mailbox today just in time for the Monday mail delivery. Here is the new mail box arrangement.

Once the treated lumber dries out, LOML wants the wood painted white. I'll probably add a blue bird house to the upper part of the post as there is a hay field behind the mailbox.

Addendum: The heavy duty mailbox (1/8" steel) survived with one small dent and a few minor scratches. A little body work, a coat of black spray paint and new numbers it was ready to go.

Frank Pratt
08-24-2020, 6:22 PM
That's more than just a little annoying! I'd submit a bill to the driver for time & materials to replace the mailbox. If it was just an accident, I'd eat it. But for a drunk driver, I don't have much sympathy.

Lee Schierer
08-24-2020, 6:39 PM
That's more than just a little annoying! I'd submit a bill to the driver for time & materials to replace the mailbox. If it was just an accident, I'd eat it. But for a drunk driver, I don't have much sympathy.

We have kept receipts and will be submitting a claim to their insurance company.

Earl McLain
08-24-2020, 7:12 PM
In the 27 years i've lived on a rural stretch of state highway (2 lane, but 55 MPH limit), i'm probably at 12 mailboxes. Since the first, it's all been 6' treated 4 x 4 sunk 3' into dirt. Some of the posts have been salvagable, and a few of the boxes got straightened out for their second hit. Had two so far this year--one was a dump truck at low speed backing up to dump a load of railway ballast--they took care of that one same day. Just 2 months later, a midnight hit that shattered the post but didn't even scratch the new box--no idea how!! He broke his right front rim on the mailbox hit, took out the railway crossbuck, hung the car on the tracks before running into a cornfield. Been in jail since the next morning. I usually have a spare mailbox here, with a supply of reflective numbers. We're usually back in business within a few hours (once it's daylight!!)
It's become a way of life!!
earl

Nathan Johnson
08-24-2020, 8:00 PM
The snowplow resistance part is interesting.
Here we're required to make them to break away to prevent damage to plows or others.

Bruce Wrenn
08-24-2020, 9:26 PM
We have kept receipts and will be submitting a claim to their insurance company.

Not only materials, but for fair market value of labor and mileage to and from big box store. If new box was less expensive than old, difference in price should be paid. Insurance is to make you "whole again."

Bruce King
08-25-2020, 8:31 AM
When I lived on a rural road I ended up making the mailbox where it would spin and fall off easily. Problem was ball bats more than cars. Whenever the cops caught a car load smashing boxes they made them pay for all the boxes smashed the month before. Funny how the money never seems to find its way to the box owners. Kept a spare, plastic is best unless you have one of those tank type.

Ellen Benkin
08-25-2020, 12:54 PM
I am a summer resident in a very small town in Maine. Since everyone there knows I'm not there in the winter, the plows tend to "store" excess snow in my driveway and, by the way, destroy the mailbox. The idea of "snowplow proof" is intriguing!

Lee Schierer
08-25-2020, 5:18 PM
The design shown is the third version I've made. The previous one lasted more than 15 years in northwest PA until the DUI took it out. Enlarge the photo and you can see the spring on this side. On the back side there are four heavy duty gate hinges, Two near the top of the short vertical piece and two near the bottom. If the mail box is hit it swings away and then is pulled back by the spring.

I use the more expensive 1/8 inch thick steel mailboxes which withstand the baseball bats pretty well.