PDA

View Full Version : CA glue?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-24-2020, 4:09 PM
I have a bottle of CA glue that is a couple years old at least. Where's a good place to buy some. I have some bottle stoppers I need to turn and finish.

David Walser
08-24-2020, 4:56 PM
Ken -- For CA glue, buy from a vendor that has a lot of volume. Stored properly (in a refrigerator), CA glue can last up to 20 months. You don't want most of those months to have gone by before you bought the glue! My go to for CA is Craft Supplies USA. However, I've also bought from Starbond directly (both through a club bulk order and through their website). I've also bought glue from our local Woodcraft and our local Rockler store. Those experiences are what caused me to adopt a rule of buying from a large volume vendor.

Stan Calow
08-24-2020, 5:11 PM
I like the CA glue that Highland Woodworking sells, and second choice is the one Stewart MacDonald sells. But its usually an add-on when I'm buying something else.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-24-2020, 5:26 PM
I like Starbond. You can get it direct as mentioned, and now through Amazon. If you buy a big bottle they also include 2 oz bottles, and micro spouts. They have different thicknesses and colors. I close and ziplock the bottle and store it in the fridge. Yes, I have had it spill and glue my fridge door shut. I almost had a seizure. (I keep the CA in my beer mini fridge. :eek:)

Stark Suggs
08-24-2020, 7:03 PM
What works for me is BSI (Bob Smith Industries), 8 oz bottle for $21 via amazon prime https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Industries-Insta-Cure-Refill/dp/B014RXHMH4 Agree with the ziplock bags. The bottle comes with a twist spout...the pic shows a twist cap. Good luck

Steve Eure
08-24-2020, 7:04 PM
I buy from Bob Smith. He has a large selection and I have never had an issue. Well, besides gluing my fingers together. He does sell de-bonder, thank goodness.

https://modelmerchants.com/shop/bob-smith-maxi-cure-extra-thick-ca-super-glue/?attribute_pa_size=2-oz&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uzVBRDkARIsALkZAdn4RZffkMDQgTHAwdwg02-NKZzIq2ZqvqXspwE6qH4PT9hlAZ6eLisaAh-TEALw_wcB (https://modelmerchants.com/shop/bob-smith-maxi-cure-extra-thick-ca-super-glue/?attribute_pa_size=2-oz&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uzVBRDkARIsALkZAdn4RZffkMDQgTHAwdwg02-NKZzIq2ZqvqXspwE6qH4PT9hlAZ6eLisaAh-TEALw_wcB)

Earl McLain
08-24-2020, 7:30 PM
For finishing pens, i've been using Glu-boost (exoticblanks.com) for the past 18 months or so--excellent results applied with little plastic baggies, really need to use their accelerator with it though. Lot of pen turners use paper towels with the lathe off, i'm baggies at 300-350 RPM. Usually 2 coats medium, followed by 3 or 4 thin. Mercury Flex has also delivered great results for me--3 or 4 thin followed by 2 medium. Mercury Flex seems to be more age sensitive--but i've not used the Glu-boost long enough (really had any around long enough) to know. For thicker and thinner, i stay with Bob Smith--the InstaCure Super Thin will carry powders and dust into crevasses you can't see yet as you get near finished. Definitely good suggestion to buy from a source that sell a steady amount, or direct from Glu-boost or Mercury.
Good luck.
earl

Rich Aldrich
08-29-2020, 9:28 PM
I have made a lot of pens and use mostly CA glue for finish. I order from Exotic Blanks, Woodturningz and Craft Supply. I used to use thin for the first coat then medium for remaining coats. Some started to craze over time and found that thin for all coats works best for me. The age of the glue also can affect the durability of the finish and don't use it if it has been open for three months. I use the blue paper towel you can get at Menards or any of the box stores. I typically use Stickfast and have used EZ Bond. I haven't tried Glu-boost yet but that one is probably next on my list to try - I have heard good things about it.