PDA

View Full Version : New Kreg K3 questions

Mark Rios
12-31-2005, 2:23 AM
I used my 25% coupon at Woodcraft on a new K3 kit. WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!! :D I like to have extra, backup tool accessories like extra drill bits. Do you folks who use a Kreg system use their cobalt bit? Is it worth the extra cost or is an extra standard bit ok? I know about cobalt and cobalt bits but I don't know about the Kreg bit longevity. Any opinions?

What about screws? I understand the washerhead's purpose....what about the other type heads?

Thanks.

Larry Reimer
12-31-2005, 7:37 AM
Mark, I use their "standard" drill bit and have a standard as a spare. The bit has hundreds of holes behind it and I expect it will go for thousands, and in my work that's a lot of different projects already. I am very careful with the cutting edges of that bit so they don't get dropped or contact metal. I also will use either a corded drill or the drill press to keep that bit from slowing down, (which Kreg recommends).

Don't understand why you'd want a different head on the screw. Worried about cost? try McFeeley's. If you put say a bugle head screw in a pocket hole in plywood you would surely blow that pocket hole apart when you tightened it.

Mark Rios
12-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your input Larry. Any reason for NOT using a cobalt for the longer life? Or maybe the extra expense is just not necessary? Anyone use the coblat bit?

As for the screw heads, I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. When I looked at getting screws for Kreg at Amazon there was two different kinds of heads. One was the regular washerhead and there was another kind listed as pan head although the picture looked more like a flat top fillister head. I didn't know why one would use this other type of head.

Thanks for the reminder about Mcfeely's though. I had forgotten. I'll go right away and look there also. Thanks.