PDA

View Full Version : Rip Blade

Jerry Thompson
08-23-2020, 4:45 PM
My Freud rip blade smoked a 2x4. I had it sharpened just awhile ago too.
I had the blade in backwards:o

Ben Rivel
08-23-2020, 4:48 PM
It can happen thats for sure. Ive seen more than one post that mistake in the various woodworking Facebook groups. Did you damage the blade or is it fine?

glenn bradley
08-23-2020, 5:57 PM
My Freud rip blade smoked a 2x4. I had it sharpened just awhile ago too.
I had the blade in backwards:o

I had read about a few of these occurrences and wondered how could anyone do that!?! Then I did. :o

Andrew Hughes
08-23-2020, 6:10 PM
When I bought my used tablesaw not only was the blade mount backwards to motor was wire to run backwards.
The arbor was scored badly fortunately the nut wasn’t beyond saving.
There was every sign imaginable that the blade was spinning the nut loose. Some would call that ignorance.
I call it apprentice marks.:)

Jerry Thompson
08-23-2020, 7:42 PM
The blade is fine.

Jim Dwight
08-23-2020, 7:46 PM
I've done it on my CMS but not my table saw. I also used my sander without a sanding disc the other day. Don't tell my kids. They already think I'm getting old.

Wes Grass
08-23-2020, 8:58 PM
Caught myself, barely, putting the 'good blade' on my CMS a couple weeks ago. And a week before that, the circular saw. I think the only thing that prevented that was fumbling the screw and having the blade pop off in the process.

Putting a slitting saw on an arbor for the mill last week, had to finally pick up an endmill for reference.

Alan Lightstone
08-24-2020, 8:40 AM
I did it the first time I used my original SawStop contractors saw. I'm staring at the wood, and wondering why everyone raves about the saw.

Lesson learned. Haven't done it again. Yet...

Bill Conerly
08-25-2020, 12:56 AM
The day before this thread began, I wrote with magic marker on two saw blades
"Outside." You can guess what prompted that action.

Frank Pratt
08-25-2020, 10:21 AM
If I had a dollar for every time I've put in a hacksaw blade backwards...

Kyle Iwamoto
08-25-2020, 10:53 AM
I put my band saw blade in upside down, (yes it can be done) and wondered why is this brand new blade such a POS. Yes it does cut. Barely. I checked it TWICE. On the fourth try..... Duh.
I've not put a hack saw blade in backwards though.... :eek:

Andy D Jones
08-25-2020, 11:37 AM
I've done it on my CMS but not my table saw. I also used my sander without a sanding disc the other day. Don't tell my kids. They already think I'm getting old.

LOL! We used to say "Don't tell Mom." Now we say "Don't tell the kids!"

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Prashun Patel
08-25-2020, 11:43 AM
Bandsaw blade. Been there. Done that.

Bruce King
08-26-2020, 9:23 PM
Y’all better check your lawnmower blade direction.
I found one backwards on a push mower that was given to me, it actually cut pretty good.

Alex Zeller
08-27-2020, 6:59 AM
I don't know how many of you have done vinyl siding but an easy way to cut it with a sliding compound miter saw is to put the blade on backwards. When i was building my house I would leave the blade on backwards at the end of the day figuring that I was going to be continuing the siding. One evening after I left my step father needed to cut up a bunch of 2x4, well you can guess what happened. Lots of smoke.