PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max FS41 Problem

Chris Livingston
12-31-2005, 1:17 AM
If you read the Yahoo Mini Max forum please forgive the double post but I'm hoping someone with some might be able to help me before Monday when MM opens.

I've been using my new FS41 jointer/planer for three or four really good days (to me that is 1-2 hours a day if I'm lucky). After about a half hour of light but continuous use I started hearing what sounds like a cross between the blades skimming something metal (which they were not) and almost an electrical crackling. I wish I could describe it better but it was about the speed of the motor/tersa head. This noise was never consistent but it never happened until the motor was good and warm.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
Now for the fun part. I was about done and it started making the noise again but couldn’t get it to happen enough to get Sam at MM on the phone for and I thought I was all done with planing so I moved the FS41 out of the way and was about to use my table saw when I remembered I needed to plane a few other boards so I drug the 41 back out, switched it to plane again and when I went to turn on the secondary power switch nothing happened. This switch has never feel as crisp when turned to on as the main power switch with the red lockout built in but it still felt like it should turn the motor on. Nothing happened. Thought I had bumped one of the two emergency stop buttons so I re-set those. Still nothing. Checked the cut off switch on the planer hood and it was not tripped. Checked the breaker for the circuit the 41 was on and nothing. Listening to the machine though I could hear the buzz of power when plugged it and hear it stop when I tripped the emergency shut-offs. At this point it had been at least 20 minutes since the machine had been running and I opened up the back access panel to check the motor etc and the temp on the motor was still at 140 degrees Fahrenheit so I thought maybe a thermal switch had been tripped. I let it sit for an hour and still nothing. Its been sitting for about 5 hours and still nothing.

I tried calling MM but it was 10 minutes to closing and the tech department was out loading a container but was supposed to call me back which didn’t happen. I’ve looked through the “wonderful” manual and the only thing I have not checked “that the fuses are undamaged and, if necessary, replace them (the fuses are positioned inside the electrical equipment).” But nowhere in the manual are these fuses shown even in the parts list/diagram.

I really need to use this machine this weekend but it looks like I’m SOL unless someone else has some suggestions and I would really appreciate any.

<O:p></O:p>
Thanks,
<O:p></O:p>
Chris

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Chris, it sounds like you may have a bad switch. I had one go on me awhile back on my FS350...there is a coil that would not let the switch reset and operate. I think you'll likely need a replacement switch...and have no doubt that MM will get it out to you "really fast"...but not until the holiday weekend is complete, unfortunately.

Richard Wolf
12-31-2005, 4:58 PM
I know Paul Cresti was looking for you on the MiniMax forum if you are reading this first. Give him a call, he's the man for the job.

Richard

Chris Livingston
12-31-2005, 5:08 PM
Thanks Jim & Richard, I'll give him a call. Dane from MM actually called me after seeing my posts and got me in touch with Sam who unfortunately couldn't help me till the tech guys get in on Tuesday. I'll give Paul a call.

Chris

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 5:15 PM
Chris, just so you know, it was Dain who also came to "my rescue" back when I had the same problem. He wasn't my sales person (Michael is), but took the time to call me personally on a Saturday after I posted and had help on the way that Monday morning. 'Just one of the things I really like about Mini Max and why I not only like their stuff, but also consider them friends. BTW, I finally met Dain in the flesh a few weekends ago...nearly three years since he gave me that hand.

Chris Livingston
12-31-2005, 7:28 PM
Got it figured out!!!! Had my electrician father-in-law come over and the secondary USA/Canadian magnetic power switch was to blame. Leg 2 was not something something continuity (don’t remember cause I ain’t no lectrician) but power was there on one side but not on the other when the switch was turned to on. According to my father-in-law this leg is some type of safety redundancy so he bypassed it and now everything works!

Now I just have to wait until Tuesday to get Sam to send me a new one.
Thanks for the help and Happy New Year!

Chris