PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Drills Recommendations

Carroll Courtney
08-23-2020, 11:19 AM
Guys for yrs I have alway been provided a cordless drill at work but no longer in that position,so I am out on my own.
First off I cannot afford a Fastool, so any suggestions other than would be very helpful. The purpose for this is right now I will be building myself a retirement home/shop Pole Barn. So there will be drilling and screwing,and for awhile will not have power till I get that work out. I believe that I will need couple extra batteries and I know that quality batteries is going to cost but I am all in, within normal means :) Guys since I been out of the market on these kind of tools I really don't know what out there,what is the latest & greatest and what the cost is. So any suggestions on what you have or what not to get will be big help,thanks .

Ron Selzer
08-23-2020, 11:40 AM
I have been with DeWalt for the last 25 years and finally stepped up to the 20v at home. Running all DeWalt at work
Considered the Milwaukee line and still not certain if that is the way I should have gone instead of the 20v DeWalt
comes down to Ford or Chevy, both good
good luck
Ron

Bill Yacey
08-23-2020, 11:47 AM
I use a Milwaukee 18V drill in my day to day work. I'm on my second drill in 10 years, but to be fair, I've subjected them to quite a bit of abuse, drilling with large diameter hole saws and fly cutters, 1" auger bits drilling through wall timbers, drilling tough materials like stainless steel, etc.

I have yet to have a battery fail on me, and I did replace the motor in my first drill after about 7 years; the motor cost $28.00 to replace. These drills have a lot of torque and are well built; I wouldn't consider using anything else.

Michael Drew
08-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Suggest you go to a store and handle all the drills. I use cordless drills frequently, including roof work. After a solid week of running roofing screws on a 9/12 pitch roof, how the drill feels in the hand is pretty important. Balance and size, ease of bit change and grip on drivers, single handed speed change and reverse/forward change....... Find the tool that feels the best to you, because the cordless drill tends to be the first in a string of cordless tools you'll get, and it's nice to have one brand. You don't need a bunch of different chargers and batteries. For what it's worth, I use Milwaukee M18, and the drills take a lot of abuse and just keep working. I'm not sure if the M18 is the best cordless line though. And the high capacity batteries are pretty expensive.

Orlando Gonzalez
08-23-2020, 12:10 PM
I have DeWalt and Makita and both are very good. You also can't go wrong with Milwaukee.

Melvin Feng
08-23-2020, 12:17 PM
I started with Makita, and have stuck with them mostly to keep the battery system the same. I have been happy with them though. I now have a right angle drill, small leaf blower, bigger two battery leaf blower, and small circular saw. Each ecosystem will have the same basic tools, but some may have unique features that you find really attractive (flexvolt batteries that can power higher and lower power tools, portable 'generator' that can use a set of batteries to convert to 120v AC, etc.)

I would echo what others have said, and find a set that fits your ergonomics best.

I also would say that depending on the variety of your work, to consider getting two sets of drills - one that has the high power and torque for the bigger jobs, and then a lighter one that is easy to use over your head without being fatiguing. Most impact drivers are fairly small, but same thing for those if you do a lot of overhead work, as well as hefty lag bolts, etc.

Actually, I would say that if you need to do some huge lag screws or bolts with a lot of torque, to consider getting an impact wrench in whichever brand you choose, as the impact wrench with proper sockets can apply a lot more torque than the standard impact driver and drill.

Jamie Buxton
08-23-2020, 12:28 PM
I'd get the Bosch 5-in-1 drill. Those extra capabilities occasionally are very useful. https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-drill-drivers-gsr12v-140fcb22-187544-p/

Andy D Jones
08-23-2020, 3:06 PM
If you have other cordless power tools that you are happy with, I would stick with the same line for a cordless drill, if just to share batteries/chargers.

I have Milwaukee M18 and a few M12 tools and I like them a lot.

I had Ryobi cordless power tools in the past, and was not satisfied with the quality, robustness, or the performance, so started switching over to Milwaukee on the recommendation of a trusted friend. I am starting to change my battery powered lawn equipment over too. Huge difference in performance between M18 brushless and even 40V Ryobi! Most of my Ryobi tools had problems with the rubber grip panels coming loose. I've not had that problem with any of my Milwaukee tools. The power tools are stored in the attached garage/shop, where it gets hot, but the batteries are stored and recharged in the air-conditioned house.

I have used DeWalt cordless drills and impact drivers they had in the lab at work before I retired, and they seemed good too, but we were just assembling racks of computer equipment, cable raceways, etc. for our simulation server farm, and I didn't really have a chance to use them for anything challenging.

Makita has an excellent reputation too, but I have never tried them.

Brushless tools will outperform brushed tools, all else held equal. They will use less battery capacity and/or deliver higher performance. Typically >20% of a brushed tool's power is lost in the brushes, dissipated as heat.

If all else fails, go to Home Depot (Lowes does not carry Milwaukee power tools), and try the different brands out, and see what other cordless tools you might eventually want to acquire. Most of us end up primarily using one brand (batteries!), so you are really picking a line of tools, not just a single tool.

Also consider other things like flashlights/worklights, USB chargers, radios, etc. available in a given line.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Mike Hollingsworth
08-23-2020, 3:13 PM
Milwaukee has some amazing cordless tools. Who would think to need a cordless caulking gun? It empties a tube of liquid nails in 3 seconds.

lowell holmes
08-23-2020, 3:16 PM
Don't over think it. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, and all of your hardware stores, pick them up, and before long you will make a decision. I have a 20 volt Ridgid and it is my favorite drill. I have several drills.

Dick Mahany
08-23-2020, 3:32 PM
I used the older generation 14.4V DeWalt cordless drills for many years without problems. I decided to try a newer 18V drill and purchased a Festool about 2-1/2 yrs ago, mainly because of the interchangeable heads. I'm not impressed with that drill other than the versatility and it hasn't been worth the cost (to me).

Two years ago, I purchased the new Bosch Flexi-Click 5 in 1 drill and now use it for 90% of the work I do. It is only a 12V drill, but the light weight, compactness and surprising power have really been far better than I could have hoped for. The 90° chuck adapter and the offset driver are super handy and are very useful, especially if working in or with cabinetry. I rarely use the 18V drill unless I absolutely need the increased power.

I'm liking the compact 12V platform so much that I recently added the Bosch impact driver and that has all but eliminated my need for the larger drill which only gets used for large or heavy drill driving situations.

Frank Pratt
08-23-2020, 3:35 PM
Don't under think it either. It's nice to stick with one system, so you need to chose based on the tools you need now as well as the tools you'll want to buy in the future.

Warren Lake
08-23-2020, 3:42 PM
just had my second Makita battery go bad. Sales guy didnt care when I talked to him about the first one. Ive had Milwaukee stuff longer and worked harder and the batteries are fine.

Probably had over 20 Makita tools at one point but Im likely done, even to use the power planer now I have to buy batteries.

Mike Henderson
08-23-2020, 3:45 PM
I bought a Festool cordless drill and was not impressed. Sold it. I have DeWalt and have been satisfied. Milwaukee gets good reviews.

Mike

Jack Frederick
08-23-2020, 4:35 PM
I have had most brands over the last 20+ yrs and now am in the Milwaukee Camp. I really like the M12 drill/driver sets. They are very convenient to carry and hook on a belt or pants pocket. I also have the M12 sawzall which has been incredibly useful. Also the M12 grease gun making it much easier to service the tractors. A couple months ago I picked up the M18 Fuel drill/driver set and it is terrific. I do not think you will be disappointed going Milwaukee.

Ben Rivel
08-23-2020, 4:52 PM
Always been a DeWalt users, for many many years now. Also a big Festool fan. However if I were starting again replacing the few cordless tools I kept over the years, my money would be going towards Milwaukee these days. They seem to be doing a lot of things right. That said however Im all about as few proprietary battery operated things as possible. Since I only work in my shop/garage I have little need for tools to be cordless and really only like cordless drills. Since all my other woodworking tools have dust collection ports setup to them there is no reason to have them be battery opterated.

Jim Becker
08-23-2020, 5:19 PM
Bottom line is "pick a system" that you'll be happy with...like Ben, if I wasn't already heavy into Festool, I'd seriously consider Milwaukee. But I'd still want a lightweight drill/driver in my arsenal in addition to any heavier unit for heavy work. I use my little Festool CSX as my primary 90% of the time and don't feel like I'm lifting weights as I do when I pull out the heftier, higher voltage units. Milwaukee covers that pretty well. So does Bosch, AFAIK.

Carroll Courtney
08-23-2020, 5:30 PM
Guys I hear ya'll loud and clear,what ya'll think about this?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-W-2-2-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-Bag-2892-22CT/305491315?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA-71700000034127218-58700003933021540-92700053252310113&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp4j6BRCRARIsAGq4yMGN079WoMcJuX46rdbB T0H7UxtsWWMjSno64axjvDp9uycxAbZWDHgaAhytEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Keith Outten
08-23-2020, 6:38 PM
Carroll I purchased that same kit a few years ago and I have been totally satisfied. I have also added a couple other Milwaukee battery tools and agree with what Andy said above that your first tool impacts future selection.

Jeff Heil
08-23-2020, 7:02 PM
I bought that same set last year as my older impact driver and cordless drill had aging batteries with limited life and needed to be charged frequently. Old set were okay in the shop when the battery chargers were close by, but they have been used hard in the last 8 years building a house and cabinets and the batteries were shot. My old impact and drill were Rigid brand, no complaints. Those new Milwaukee tools are a great set. Used them this summer for a fencing and deck project and they performed well. Watch for deals, I scored an extra battery with the set on a Fathers Day Sale. This set goes on sale frequently. I also have a 20v Dewalt 1/2 drill that I bought as a part of a set this summer to get a cordless 6 1/2 circular saw. The Milwaukee and Dewalt drills are comparable in my use in the shop and for projects outside. I don't think you can go wrong either way, it comes down to what you prefer as others have said.

Jim Becker
08-23-2020, 7:16 PM
Guys I hear ya'll loud and clear,what ya'll think about this?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Impact-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-W-2-2-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-Bag-2892-22CT/305491315?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA-71700000034127218-58700003933021540-92700053252310113&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp4j6BRCRARIsAGq4yMGN079WoMcJuX46rdbB T0H7UxtsWWMjSno64axjvDp9uycxAbZWDHgaAhytEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Check out Toolnut's offerings...they sell a lot of Milwaukee product and often have nice deals. RIght now, they have that with a free extra battery, too...

https://www.toolnut.com/milwaukee-2892-22ct-m18-compact-brushless-drill-driver-impact-driver-combo-kit.html

Brian Ross
08-23-2020, 7:30 PM
Brushless is the way to go. I have the older brush motors and the brushless. The batteries last a lot longer with brushless. Also a big Milwaukee fan. When comparing prices take a look at the amp hours of the batteries. The ones in the link are 2 Ah which is the smaller batteries. Nothing wrong with them just a shorter run time, still a good battery. The 3 ,5 ,8 and now 12 ah batteries are more expensive
Brian

Carroll Courtney
08-23-2020, 7:36 PM
Pulled the trigger,and got an extra battery thanks for the heads up Jim and thanks guys for the suggestions. I did look at that Brian,if these don't get me through the day I may have to buy one as backup,but with 3 batteries I may not need to. We will see once get started on place,fingers cross.

Jim Dwight
08-23-2020, 7:44 PM
That Milwaukee M18 set is a nice set and seems like a good price. I have a M12 drill and impact driver and I like them. I also have a Bosch click 12V and it is noticably lighter and still pretty powerful. I prefer driving most screws with the Bosch drill versus the Milwaukee impact. But even the M12 drills will not do everything my 18V Ryobi drills do. I can bore 2 1/8 holes for locksets with the Ryobi, for instance, but not the 12V Milwaukee. I suspect the M18 would do it, however. I have an angle grinder and cordless framing nailer in the M18 line and both are very capable tools. I find Ryobi drills to be fine but the little 5 inch circular saw is not very useful and the reciprocating saw has a lot of wobble in the blade mechanism, but it has done a lot of work for me.

The only thing I see questionable in the M18 drill driver set you are considering is the size of the batteries. 2 amp hour is a bit small. My M12 set also has kind of small batteries but they work. They just seem to need recharged fairly often. My M18 grinder and cordless nailer have 5 amp hour batteries. But that would also make the drill and driver significantly heavier. 2 amp hour is probably a reasonable compromise between long lasting and weight for a drill. I use 3 and 4 amp hour in my Ryobis, however.

Ralph Okonieski
08-23-2020, 7:48 PM
Look at Toolnut for same system. They have free shipping now and if I read it correctly a second battery on that setup. I have no affiliation with them , just bought several different items from them and have been satisfied.check it out to make sure, I just looked quickly.

Carroll Courtney
08-23-2020, 8:03 PM
That's who I purchase it from Toolnut and also got a free battery and free shipping thanks Jims link. I believe that I am going to really need that 1/2 drill cause I will need to drill 1/2 hole through 6x6 treated poles for those bolts with square washers. So it will come in handy when up on 12' ladder.

Dave Sabo
08-23-2020, 8:29 PM
Here are some of my thoughts, musings, and rants.

+1 on the “feel” of the drill being key. I’d also suggest a big 18v drill plus a 12v for finesse stuff. Milwaukee’s lineup is nice in that a single charger will charge both platforms. Nice, but not a must have, especially if you’re not mobile.

+2 on checking out the platform. It’s nice to have an xtra battery or five on hand when you eventually buy a weedeater , blower , or work light. Be sure not to underestimate your future needs. I never really thought I’d ever get a battery powered saw, grinder or chainsaw. But I now have them on two platforms. The battery sawzall was a real game changer when I broke down and bought one.

Toolnut’s package on that drill is smokin good. I would tell you to seriously consider the bigger brother of the lineup though. It adds speed, torque, and a hammer function. Would probably come in handy when building a shop from scratch. Also 2.0Ah batteries are kinda small. Great for honey do chores, but they’re gonna drain fast when you start driving construction screws in PT decking or drilling 3” holes in siding. For me, 4.0 - 5.0Ah is the sweet spot for balance, runtime and cost. YMMV.

I have the Makita platform too , at 2nd location. It’s quality kit too. Their battery track saw is hard to beat at the price. I think overall it’s just a half step below Milwaukee in ruggedness. Not in a deal breaker sort of way though. Their double air cooled battery charger is sweet.

Festool hasn’t had a class leading drill in almost 15 -20 years. Back in the Ni-Cad and NiMh days they rivaled Panasonic for king of the hill. But they were late to the party on lithium and totally stuck their heads in the sand on 12v subcompact tools. The CXS already mentioned is a gem, but it’s looooooong in the tooth, not brushless and has middling runtime in comparison. It’s battery will power no other tools either. All Festool drills constantly lose out in head to head testing for speed, power and runtime against pretty much all name brand makers. Which really makes it a collectible.

DeWalt as a whole doesn’t do it for me, especially battery power. There are lots of satisfied guys out there though. The lineup just isn’t as consistently good in terms of features or offerings as the two M brands in my eyes. I still use some. of their corded gear daily FWIW.

I am also heavily invested in Bosch’s 12v lineup as they rivaled Milwaukee at the dawn of the 12v subcompact age. Now they just don’t have the breadth of offerings Milwaukee does, but their batteries have been some of the best I’ve ever used. I preferred the feel their small drill to Milwaukee, and that trumped the larger lineup for me. They have a 12v baTTery planer that I think is a marvel tool engineering. I’ve got a pair of their 5 in 1 that were mentioned that get used everyday. Mine are very rare brushless models with 6.0 Ah batteries. I get at least a week of work out of a charge. They can keep their 18v lineup.

Ira Matheny
08-23-2020, 9:18 PM
Be cautious. Many manufactures have two or three levels of quality within their battery powered tools line up. The ones for sale at the Big Box Store, seem always to be the occasional use home-owner light weights.

Some manufacturers speak of universal battery use. They have several different 18v or 20v batteries and they are not necessarily interchangeable. Such as DeWalt's lineup are not totally interchangeable with the top line tools and the 'disposable' tool line-up. [20 v, 20v lithium, 20v XR] And the DeWalt batteries don't necessarily all use the same charger!

It gets very confusing as many manufacturers refer to 'inter-changable ' batteries. Yes, some batteries and some tools can be cross used. However they don't mean ALL batteries, and All tools in their [18v or 20v] line up using the same voltage are interchangeable.

I have recently switched exclusively to DeWalt brushless tools and their XR20 batteries. DeWalt does have several different levels of tool quality and they vary significantly.

I will not have multiple brands of tools, different chargers and different batteries. Enough of that. One Brand, DeWalt; One charger [type] DCC115; and One battery[type]XR20.

Dave Sabo
08-23-2020, 11:30 PM
Be cautious. Many manufactures have two or three levels of quality within their battery powered tools line up. The ones for sale at the Big Box Store, seem always to be the occasional use home-owner light weights.

I cannot really agree with this. Especially with regard to Milwaukee and Makita. They have drills at different price points and to be sure the features and capabilities are lower on the cheaper tools , but they cannot afford the hit to their reputation that would come with substandard quality. A 2606 drill at the depoT is the same as one bought a Grainger or ToolCrib.

Some manufacturers speak of universal battery use. They have several different 18v or 20v batteries and they are not necessarily interchangeable.

Again, I can only speak about the M brands. Their 18v batteries fit all their 18v tools from the low priced to high. Brushed or brushless. No confusion, no disappointment. This would just be another reason for me to frown on DeWalt. Their 20v marketing wank is another.

Charlie Jones
08-23-2020, 11:56 PM
If I have a job that requires really heavy torque, I drag out my old Milwaukee 14.4. For everything else it’s the Bosch 12V Max. I have a drill and impact driver and a one handed saws all. They are easy on the hands and have plenty of juice.

Mike Kees
08-24-2020, 12:15 AM
My advice is to buy an impact driver for all the fastener driving chores and keep the drill for making holes. My collection now has four impact drivers and two drills,you can tell which we use the most. All my cordless is Milwaukee M18v Fuel tools.

Aaron Rosenthal
08-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Another Milwaukee M18 fan.
All my portable tools are M18, and I’ve even equipped my guys at the non-profit with the brand.
I had a battery fail in service last week, brought home the question of warranty; with Milwaukee the batteries are warrantied for 3 years, the tools for 5.
Makes me feel better, because my guys destroyed a Stil leaf blower in less than 2 months.

James Cheever
08-24-2020, 10:11 AM
I am with the others, go try several brands in your hand.

Personally, I am in the Dewalt, Festool camp, depending on what I am doing.

YMMV.

james manutes
08-24-2020, 11:22 AM
milwaukee for me , I love everything about them . Rigid - I think still has lifetime replacement on batteries IF you register the item . Most guys probably forget to do it . As mentioned above , what other tools you may want down the road is a factor . One family of batteries is really nice .

Jim Becker
08-24-2020, 12:44 PM
Folks, he already ordered the Milwaukee set from ToolNut...

Carroll Courtney
08-24-2020, 5:24 PM
Yes sir,and I will be ordering some of the other Milwaukee items such as the sawzall and circular saw when the time comes.

lowell holmes
08-24-2020, 9:05 PM
Or contact Rob Lee at Lee Valley

https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+valley+tools&oq=lee+valet&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j46j0l6.9511j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Frank Pratt
08-24-2020, 11:15 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+valley+tools&oq=lee+valet&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j46j0l6.9511j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lee Valley doesn't carry Milwaukee. The only cordless drills they have are Festool. And while Rob Lee is a pretty hands on guy when it comes to customer issues, I think he's got employees to help customers choose which tools will work for them.

Dave Sabo
08-25-2020, 9:57 PM
https://sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by lowell holmes https://sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=3048394#post3048394)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+...hrome&ie=UTF-8 (https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+valley+tools&oq=lee+valet&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j46j0l6.9511j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Lee Valley doesn't carry Milwaukee. The only cordless drills they have are Festool. And while Rob Lee is a pretty hands on guy when it comes to customer issues, I think he's got employees to help customers choose which tools will work for them.

Why contact Rob? He doesn't sell battery drills or tools that fit Carroll's needs, making that advice worthless.

Except if you're a LV salesman trying to drum up business, which I think is frowned upon here . Besides, isn't Rob a member himself ?

Jim Becker
08-26-2020, 9:06 AM
There is NO prohibition to folks making recommendations to any vendor unless they have a vested interest. Please stop. Now.

Jim
Forum Moderator

Carroll Courtney
09-28-2020, 6:15 PM
Guys look what showed up today in mail? Yep finally it has arrived and I have to say its everything that ya'll said it is. I really like it cause it seems little smaller than the old one I had but yet same size drill chuck and it has a belt clip. Next on my list will be to find some good quality phillips tips and hex nut drivers with magnets.

Frank Pratt
09-28-2020, 6:44 PM
That's a really good set you've chosen. I don't think you'll be unhappy at all. One day soon, I'm going to add an M12 impact driver to my arsenal.

Ron Selzer
09-28-2020, 9:47 PM
Got the wife a DeWalt 12v impact with 3 speeds, amazing how compact and light this is, yet has more power and better batteries.
Yes I have been around a while, my first battery drill was 1.5v then 3v then 6v, then Skill Boar gun 9.6v(top of the line back then). Didn't like the Makita's with the reset button that popped as soon as you beared down. Then on to DeWalt 14.4, 18 v NiCad and LiOn, now using 20/60v. Milwaukee seems like a nice system, definitely like the 12v tools that I have used.
Comes down to Ford/Chevy/GMC/Mopar/Foreign all have good points and all moving ahead fast.
Ron

Zac wingert
09-29-2020, 5:04 AM
Just use the brand you already have batteries for, if none, pick your favorite color or whatever. Or get the festool to prove you are a real woodworker

Alex Zeller
09-29-2020, 6:49 AM
I switched over to the M18 from Makita when my drill's gear box died. The only issue I had, and it seams like it was just some bad parts in the loop at the time when I bought both cordless drills. The first one the trigger died. At first it was just in forward then both directions. It happened about 3 years after buying it but it had a 5 year warranty (who offers one that long?) so it was replaced with a remanufactured one. The second one acts up occasionally but didn't start up until after the warranty had expired. But if you just push the direction switch to reverse and then back to forward it works again. I think you'll be happy with your purchase. I now have quite a few tools (even a cordless grease gun for the tractor). If you ever drive lag bolts or change tires on a car get the 1/2" impact. Since getting one I rarely use the air powered one.

Jack Frederick
09-29-2020, 10:29 AM
Good choice! I have found the Milwaukee bits to be very good. I’ve gone Torx Or Robertson As much as possible. Phillips is kind of a nuisance comparatively especially with the power of the M18. Now that you have gone Red you will be drawn to the M12 drill/driver kit too I suspect. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Ken Kortge
09-29-2020, 3:30 PM
Next on my list will be to find some good quality phillips tips and hex nut drivers with magnets.

If you can, I highly recommend ditching the use of Philips head screws in favor of Torx (star) head screws, or even square (or Robertson) head screws. Soooo much better!

Jim Becker
09-29-2020, 5:18 PM
If you can, I highly recommend ditching the use of Philips head screws in favor of Torx (star) head screws, or even square (or Robertson) head screws. Soooo much better!

Agree totally.....

Mike Henderson
09-29-2020, 6:11 PM

I'm not a big fan of square drive but I do like the Torx drive screws. It's too easy to round a square drive, especially when removing it, and then you have a problem. My deck was put down with square drive screws and when I have to remove a board for something, it's always a challenge. I clean out the socket and push hard on the impact driver to keep the bit in the socket and even then I'll round out one out of 10 or 15.

[When I say "round out" I mean that the square socket of the screw is no longer square - it's round. I usually have to pry the board out when that happens and then drive the screw out with a hammer.]

Mike

mike stenson
09-29-2020, 6:19 PM
Phillips were designed for the driver to cam out of the screw. This is a benefit on the factory floor, it's a pain in other areas..

Jim Becker
09-29-2020, 6:38 PM
Mike, I've only had camming issues with a few square drive screws...I suspect they didn't follow the Robertson tapered design accurately. But I do like Torx, too, and they are becoming more and more common on retail shelves.

Joe Jensen
09-29-2020, 7:46 PM
Some may say I have a bit of an obsession with cordless drills and drivers. I have a bunch of the Bosch 12V system and they are my go-to. Love the driver as it's super compact and the drill is more compact than Milwaukee. I started in the Bosch 12V system because they were first. Milwaukee now has a ton more M12 tools and I am so temped. But their M12 drill has all kinds of snag points on the exterior. The Bosch slips in and out of tool bags and belts super easy. Used a friend's M12 Milwaukee drill and I hated it. Now the Milwaukee Hydraulic impact M12 is amazing. I have their M18 Hydraulic and Love it. I may end up with the Bosch LED light, driver, and drill and Milwaukee for the Hydraulic and other but hate to mix systems. Why doesn't Bosch make any Hydraulic drivers, for wood screw driving they are perfect, super quiet and the right torque.

Roger Feeley
09-30-2020, 11:05 AM
I have DeWalt and Makita and both are very good. You also can't go wrong with Milwaukee.

I'm mostly Dewalt with just a few Milwaukee tools. I'm very unhappy with Milwaukee's right angle drill. They put this bulge for a light that's right by the rubber chuck. If I'm not careful, I pinch my fingers. Since my other drills are DeWalt, I'm used to holding the chuck and letting the drill tighten it. I've gotten pinched more than once on that darn Milwaukee.

Frank Pratt
09-30-2020, 8:45 PM
I'm mostly Dewalt with just a few Milwaukee tools. I'm very unhappy with Milwaukee's right angle drill. They put this bulge for a light that's right by the rubber chuck. If I'm not careful, I pinch my fingers. Since my other drills are DeWalt, I'm used to holding the chuck and letting the drill tighten it. I've gotten pinched more than once on that darn Milwaukee.

I've not noticed that with mine. Does yours have a keyless chuck? Mine doesn't. It hardly ever gets used, but when I need it...

mike stenson
09-30-2020, 9:50 PM
I have that same drill. I just wrap my hand from the top, so that my thumb and forefinger are on opposite sides of the light. Generally doesn't take a lot of effort to tighten/loosen the chuck on mine.