PDA

View Full Version : benchtop jointer

jeff oldham
08-23-2020, 9:48 AM
i have been thinking about getting a benchtop jointer and all of them has the same guard on them and I saw one on a full size jointer and it was a bridge style guard,,im thinking this is a after market guard,,,,it looks like it might be safer the the ones that come on the jointer,,,any thoughts on this,,and what do most of you recommend for the best benchtop jointer,,thank you

David Publicover
08-23-2020, 3:05 PM
My old 6” Craftsman Benchtop jointer has a “pork chop” style guard. It works ok. No worse than the rest of the tool. I’m not a fan and am planning to replace it this year with a stationary tool that has a longer bed. My old Craftsman is heavy so I made a mobile base for it rather than lift it up and down as needed. Now it takes up almost as much room as a regular jointer...

Andy D Jones
08-23-2020, 3:25 PM
The porkchop guards work well for smaller jointers, since they can snap back over the cutterhead quickly. In larger sizes, they get heavier, and can't snap back as quickly, unless the spring is heavier, and then they are harder to push out of the way.

I have used both, and prefer the Euro style guards, especially when face jointing.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Jim Becker
08-23-2020, 5:25 PM
For a North American type product, you're most likely going to find a "pork chop" guard. Bridge guards, often referred to as Euro guards, aren't typical. They are available aftermarket for larger machines, but they cost as much as a benchtop jointer sometimes! You may be able to devise a shop-built version, but honestly, given the small size of a benchtop jointer, the pork-chop is not a disadvantage.