PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Competitions

andrew whicker
08-22-2020, 7:13 PM
Hi,

Have any of you submitted a piece for a furniture competition? I see them referenced from time to time from people I admire. It seems I can't find smaller competitions. When I hear about this idea, I get excited.

Thanks and cheers,

Derek Cohen
08-22-2020, 9:12 PM
Andrew, I enter competitions regularly. I recall Brian Holcombe has also entered a few.

Each year, the West Australian Wood Show hosts a furniture making competition. In recent years I have managed two firsts and, last year, a second place (in previous years I was the only entrant).

In 2016 I entered the Popular Woodworking magazine furniture competition, with this result ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/PopWoodTheChair.html

There are a couple of others on the go at this time. Why do so? Well, the WA competition is a really friendly event, and it is nice join my clubmates. The Pop Wood competition was out of curiosity. I have entered tool-making competitions in the past, one in the USA (under WoodCentral fori) and another in Australia (Australian Wood Review magazine), and there is always a friendly rivalry amongst the competitors. We know each other from fori, and generally are good cyber friends.

That is my brace on the cover ...

https://i.postimg.cc/T39W7Fxx/6258-F6-A5-A378-4607-B677-41-F4-E05-CF138.png

Judges in this competition were Terry Gordon (HNT Gordon planes) and Colen Clenton (acknowledged to be one of the finest toolmakers around). This was an opportunity to get some objective feedback about the tools I build. (I came in fourth that year).

All fun.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Barstow
08-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Do you have a county fair? Ours has a wooden crafts division where you see everything from jewelry
boxes to beds. I entered a piece I made for my nephew one year:

Jamie Buxton
08-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Woodworking clubs sometimes run shows, and award prizes. Do you have any woodworking clubs in your area?